TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Cats and TV?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cats and TV?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I was reading the other posts and say someone post about cat videos. Now I was always told cats can't see the tv or the computer (something about the wavelengths moving to fast, or two slow for them), So my question is, Has anyone found something out about this one way or the other? Is this just one of those old myths? Or are the videos made with faster/slower wavelenghts?
post #2 of 16
It's funny that you bring this up because just now I was trying to type with a kitten batting at the mouse cursor on the screen.
I have a cat video called Cat DVD, both my kittens Church and Roxy love it and my current litter of foster kittens do as well. They watch intently and try to catch the critters on screen. I made the mistake of playing the DVD on my computer though, and now my foster kittens keep standing in front of the screen when I'm using the computer!

You can see a video of the kittens watching the DVD here:
http://www.catster.com/video/815676/kittens_watching_tv

And here's a photo of Church when he was a baby, trying to catch the fish on screen-- this was actually just watching the demo of the DVD, on the CatDVD website:

post #3 of 16
I've never heard that before, but I would declare it false based on the fact that all of my boys watch tv and my computer screen, always trying to catch anything that moves.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekochan View Post
It's funny that you bring this up because just now I was trying to type with a kitten batting at the mouse cursor on the screen.
I have a cat video called Cat DVD, both my kittens Church and Roxy love it and my current litter of foster kittens do as well. They watch intently and try to catch the critters on screen. I made the mistake of playing the DVD on my computer though, and now my foster kittens keep standing in front of the screen when I'm using the computer!

You can see a video of the kittens watching the DVD here:
http://www.catster.com/video/815676/kittens_watching_tv

And here's a photo of Church when he was a baby, trying to catch the fish on screen-- this was actually just watching the demo of the DVD, on the CatDVD website:

aww he is so cute! thanks for the reply, I might just try that
post #5 of 16
My cats also like to watch TV...... Rosiemac's cat Jack watches TV, too.





post #6 of 16
I actually have a video called Feathers for Felines that Pixie loves to watch..I have found that some cats are interested in TV some are not..Sassy has no interest in it whatsoever, but both Pixie and Linus watch all the time..Linus in particular likes cartoons..
post #7 of 16
Hennessy doesn't watch the TV (maybe with a kitty DVD he would?) But he loves to chase my cursor all over my laptop's monitor (of course, having a 15 pound cat lunge at a laptop screen is not recommended in the warranty! )
post #8 of 16
Bijou is not interested in TV much, but Mika LOVES Meercat Manor. My hubby puts a chair in front of the TV for her and she sits there to watch the show. It is hilarious.

Our cat Simba loved TV as well. One time they were showing the body of a cougar and the definition of the muscles so were showing it only from the neck back. Simba was going to the side of the TV and trying to see around to find where the cougar's head had gone. He loved the nature shows.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Rosiemac's cat Jack watches TV, too.
Yes, heres my couch potatoe, Jack. He's got the same DVD as Pami's kids as well





post #10 of 16
When cats and TV are in the same sentence, Jack is the one that comes to my mind! He actually does watch TV.

I particularly liked the one when you were holding him and he was straining to see the TV!
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post

I particularly liked the one when you were holding him and he was straining to see the TV!
Oh you mean this one?

post #12 of 16
I don't have pictures of it, (the camera is always somewhere else when it happens and if I move, so do the cats) but Pearl loves to watch Nascar racing. She sits right in front of the TV and when the cars go around and off the screen, she runs around to the back of the TV to see where they went.

George watches the nightly news. I guess he thinks Brian Williams is interesting or something because he sits there and watches until they go to video of something else. But when Brian is back on the screen, he watches again. Go figure.

Lexus likes the Cat Sitter DVD I bought with birds on it. She chatters at and scolds the birds and pounds her little tail against the floor ... it is funny to watch her.
post #13 of 16
Try telling my cat he can't see tv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfRj7pX0IDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayef View Post
I don't have pictures of it, (the camera is always somewhere else when it happens and if I move, so do the cats) but Pearl loves to watch Nascar racing. She sits right in front of the TV and when the cars go around and off the screen, she runs around to the back of the TV to see where they went.
Same here with Tinker. She loves watching the cars go around the track and tries figuring out where they went. She sits there the whole race. Falls asleep most times but she's there anyway
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Bijou is not interested in TV much, but Mika LOVES Meercat Manor. My hubby puts a chair in front of the TV for her and she sits there to watch the show. It is hilarious.

Our cat Simba loved TV as well. One time they were showing the body of a cougar and the definition of the muscles so were showing it only from the neck back. Simba was going to the side of the TV and trying to see around to find where the cougar's head had gone. He loved the nature shows.
Wow!! That was a smart kitty!!!
post #15 of 16
I don't know much about TV wavelengths and all that, but I do know that Gabriel loves to watch the Packers' game with me.




He's one smart cat - what can I say?!
post #16 of 16
Winchester had a thing about watching my granddaughter's little laptop video player, while they were here visiting.


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Cats and TV?