Hey Y'all!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we survived Hurricane Ike with minimal damage.
(just some skirting got torn off the trailer, and the roof & screening got blown off the porch - and, of course, there were downed trees and lots of debris). Our entire neighborhood almost got destroyed by fire, though, when the idiots in back of us blew up their meth lab later on in the night after the hurricane blew through.
But I reckon God was on our side, b/c we survived.
If the fire would have occurred during the storm, there would have been no way to stop it b/c of the wind, and the fire department probably wouldn't have been able to get here to put it out: and even if they could have made it, there wasn't any water to put it out with. The fire was actually scarier than Ike!
I was freaking out wondering just how on earth I was gonna be able to gather up all my furbies in time to escape!

There are many who weren't so blessed - including the peeps across the street, who lost their place when a tree smashed down the middle of it.
A lot of Texas looks like a war zone - especially Galveston - and there are still peeps w/o electricity & water. They're saying that will continue to be w/o for possibly another 2-4 weeks. You could hear the helicopters flying over to drop off supplies for over a week. We were lucky, b/c we only had to do w/o power for five days. Thankfully, it wasn't sweltering hot like it was when Rita blew through in '05. We've had really nice weather.
And our neighbors were kind enough to let us hook up to their generator, so we could at least have a light & fan to use. Bless their hearts!

The first thing I did when the power came back on was to take a loooong, hot shower!
I felt like I lost 5 lbs.
Of course, I was prepared ahead of time with plenty of jugs of water & anti-bacterial wipes to wash up with, and I filled the tub with bleach water, but it's not quite the same thing.
The worst part about not having any power was not having any communication with the outside world: you didn't know what was going on. You only had "word of mouth" to go by. We hooked up the radio to the generator for awhile to get an idea, but we didn't want to leave it on too long b/c we didn't want to misuse our neighbors' kindness, or the gas to run the generator. We offered to give them money for gas, or to siphon it from our car, but being the nice peeps that they are, they refused. Since they were so kind & generous and refused to take anything, we got them a thank-you card & gift instead. It's the least that we can do.

I guess I really don't need to go into all the "gory" details of the aftermath, b/c I'm sure y'all have already heard of it on the news. I took quite a few pix of the damage around here (including a really spooky-looking sunset that occurred just before Ike hit), which I'll share with y'all if you're interested. I also took some videos of Ike while it was going on, but those take too long to upload. But I'm sure y'all have seen plenty of footage of it on TV, anyway...

I feel so badly for all those peeps who weren't as blessed as we were.
May we all keep them in our thoughts & prayers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a pic of the sky, just before Ike hit. It was really beautiful in a way, but also really spooky looking!
It looked as if the sky was on fire...

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome back! I am happy to hear that you are safe. That pic of the sky is beatuiful, but also very eerie. That was very nice of your neighbors to let you hook up to their generator.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hey, glad to hear you have power again. What part of Houston do you live in? Did the eye of the hurricane also go over you early Saturday morning? That was the weirdest thing ever! I posted a whole bunch of pics in a thread on here somewhere...I'll have to find it to show you. Glad to see you made it through the storm with little damage, we did pretty good ourselves. We had our roof fixed today!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know that you are ok!! The damage you sustained isn't too bad. Hope your life can get back to a normal routine soon.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tiff!...
Glad you´re back safe my friend!...

what hard experience my friend...
I don´t wish to anybody that kind of experience....

the best is that you´re here again with us!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

hey, glad to hear you have power again. What part of Houston do you live in? Did the eye of the hurricane also go over you early Saturday morning? That was the weirdest thing ever! I posted a whole bunch of pics in a thread on here somewhere...I'll have to find it to show you. Glad to see you made it through the storm with little damage, we did pretty good ourselves. We had our roof fixed today!
We don't live in Houston: we live about 80 miles north of there. But we got hit badly just the same.
I'm not exactly sure what time the eye passed over. I fell asleep around 1 A.M., and woke up around 6 when the power went out. When did it pass over you?

How did you fare up??
I guess Houston got it almost as bad as Galveston, and there are still quite a bit of places that don't have power yet.

I'd like to see your pix, when you have time to post them. I took some too - along with some videos - but it takes forever for them to upload and I don't have the patience to wait.
I only have dial-up service for my ISP..
It took 20 minutes just to upload that sunset pic!

I'm glad that you're all right, too!
What a disaster!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to see you back safe and sound! And, I'm glad the damage to your home is minor. My heart goes out to all the people that weren't so lucky. It's amazing what damage mother nature can do when she wants to.

Oh, that sunset picture was wicked!!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh, that sunset picture was wicked!!

I know.
When I saw how creepy the sky was getting to be, that's when I logged off the computer and shut everything down. I've never seen such an eerie sunset.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a pic of our neighbors' place across the street, in which a tree smashed right down the middle of it. I feel so badly for them..