Smokette was killed by our neighbors dog yesterday

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We don't let all of our cats go outside, just the ferals and semi ferals...cause they are miserable inside. We got Smokette from an impound lot about 8 months ago. She was pregnant. She had her litter, and then we waited until she was spayed and then decided to start letting her outside at night (Cause its summer, and hot during the day time). Bad idea....cause she wouldn't let us catch her again. So she was outside for about 2 weeks, and enjoying it. And hung out in our yard mainly. My neighbor (Not the dog owner, the dog lives two doors down) who also has a bunch of cats came over holding her and I ran outside..And she was gone. She had jumped over the fence into the neighbor 2 doors down's yard, and their dog attacked her. They tried to get him off as fast as they could, and my next door neighbor helped and then grabbed her and ran over here..but it was already too late.
. She is buried in our front yard.

I don't even know what to do about the situation. The dog has killed my next door neighbors cats before (all of their cats are indoor/outdoor and the dog killed 2 of their cats). I have seen dead cats in the alley directly behind the dog's yard. The people on the other side have lost a cat to that dog. They say the dog is inside the majority of the time, and only goes outside to go potty. I am going to recommend to them(Because they did come over and apologize..but I was not in the mood to speak to them) a kennel with a lid so when he does go outside there won't be anyway cats can get injured. Or they could keep him on a leash and supervise him every second he is outside. I know they are scared I will report them to animal control for having a dangerous dog..and I really don't want to, because he will be PTS immediately after he is taken by Animal control. But I care more about my cats, and my neighbors cats (Who I have bonded with). And I am extremely worried about my ferals.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry about your loss

That is so heartbreaking.

I would call animal control on your neighbours...... what other choice do you? This dog is a threat to cats, other wildlife, possibly other dogs and maybe even people.... This dog needs ATLEAST a fenced yard...... gosh it makes me so upset.

Your baby is at peace
xo

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, what a horrible thing to have to go through.

My thoughts and prayers are with you

RIP Smokette

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry aout your cat but I would report the dog. I reported the the Pitbull that tried to atatck my Cats through th window where I used to live.
They got evicted for having that dog. Next he might attack someone or even a kid.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Smokette - that is such a tragedy for you all
She is safe, now, and playing happily among the angels

I am like you in championing the cause of cats, esp. if cats have been killed in the alley, which is considered public. at least your neighbors had the decency to come over to apologize - that shows their high regard of you and your kitties.
Condolences to you and the rest of Smokette's grieving circle of friends and family.
Please tell your next door neighbor that the TCS cat community says thank-you for showing such heroic efforts trying to save Smokette, and sends prayers and vibes for healing - those kinds of memories are terrible

anyaisisbeatrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a horrible situation. If it were me, I would report the dog.

Again, I'm so sorry for you and your kitty.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a terrible tragedy! The dog is obviously aggressive to cats. Do they even have a fencing around their yard?

RIP Smokette

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss

RIP Sweetheart

Your neighbours should at least put the dog on a lead, but IMO I would call the animal control. Next thing it will kill could be a person

What kind of dog is it?

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so sorry. that is a terrible thing to have happened. she is safe and happy now, across the bridge.

i too would report this dog. the fact that it now has the taste for blood is really worrying. the loss of far too many cats is bad enough without a child being next.

RIP sweet smokette.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The dog is in its yard, and kills the cats when they jump over the fence. But I feel the dog should be in a kennel with a lid when its outside.

Sadly..it IS a pit bull mix.

And I have decided I am going to report the dog to the SPCA. It is too dangerous..and it WOULD kill a smaller dog if it got out of its yard.

I care more for the cats in this neighborhood than for the dangerous dog.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I do think you need to report the dog, but I'm afriad that nothing will be done. It sounds as if he is in a fenced in yard and only attacking the animals that come into his territory. A kennel would definitely be a good idea, but I don't think the owner can be forced to put his dog in one if the dog isn't leaving the yard.
Good luck with the situation. Once again, I'm so very sorry about Smokette.

roughcollies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101

The dog is in its yard, and kills the cats when they jump over the fence. But I feel the dog should be in a kennel with a lid when its outside.

Sadly..it is a pit bull mix.

And I have decided I am going to report the dog to the SPCA. It is too dangerous..and it would kill a smaller dog if it got out of its yard.

I care more for the cats in this neighborhood than for the dangerous dog.
First of all I am VERY sorry for your loss. What a tragedy.

However, a Pit Bull is not a killer simply because it is a Pit Bull. And because your cat was loose in the dogs yard, you might be the one that gets hit depending on where you live. If the dog was securely in it's yard then the people did nothing wrong. And no, as a dog trainer, I will say that a dog killing a cat does not mean it's going to hurt a human, especially a pit. Pits were bred with a severe instinct to never hurt a human and anyone that does is from bad breeding and raising. They were dog fighters and a human was able to stick their hand in the middle of the fight and pull the dogs apart without the dogs ever biting.

As for a dog being in a kennel with a lid, I could say the same about your loose cats. Keep in mind, I don't necessarily agree with that and do have an outdoor cat, I'm just giving you another perspective. However, if my Sig went out and got himself killed by jumping in someone elses yard, I would only have me to blame for letting him out. Especially knowing there are a lot of loose dogs and cats in my area. My dogs do not ever get kenneled under any circumstances nor will they. I have a securely fenced in yard, a locked gate and if anyone, person or animal comes in there, it's tresspassing. My dogs are allowed to go in and out at my discretion and do so daily.

Before calling the SPCA, think about it. your cat enters their yard and gets killed. You want their dog to be kenneled but also want to be able to let your cat loose. Not fair to me. Prey drive is not true aggression. That would be like saying if your cat killed someone's bird that got loose, it was your fault and your cat should be put down. Just instinct for the cat to go after the bird. Same thing with some dogs. If they aren't raised around cats and have high prey drive, then they will go after them. Why should your cat be allowed to roam free and this dog can't be free in his fenced in yard?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoughCollies

First of all I am VERY sorry for your loss. What a tragedy.

However, a Pit Bull is not a killer simply because it is a Pit Bull. And because your cat was loose in the dogs yard, you might be the one that gets hit depending on where you live. If the dog was securely in it's yard then the people did nothing wrong. And no, as a dog trainer, I will say that a dog killing a cat does not mean it's going to hurt a human, especially a pit. Pits were bred with a severe instinct to never hurt a human and anyone that does is from bad breeding and raising. They were dog fighters and a human was able to stick their hand in the middle of the fight and pull the dogs apart without the dogs ever biting.

As for a dog being in a kennel with a lid, I could say the same about your loose cats. Keep in mind, I don't necessarily agree with that and do have an outdoor cat, I'm just giving you another perspective. However, if my Sig went out and got himself killed by jumping in someone elses yard, I would only have me to blame for letting him out. Especially knowing there are a lot of loose dogs and cats in my area. My dogs do not ever get kenneled under any circumstances nor will they. I have a securely fenced in yard, a locked gate and if anyone, person or animal comes in there, it's tresspassing. My dogs are allowed to go in and out at my discretion and do so daily.

Before calling the SPCA, think about it. your cat enters their yard and gets killed. You want their dog to be kenneled but also want to be able to let your cat loose. Not fair to me. Prey drive is not true aggression. That would be like saying if your cat killed someone's bird that got loose, it was your fault and your cat should be put down. Just instinct for the cat to go after the bird. Same thing with some dogs. If they aren't raised around cats and have high prey drive, then they will go after them. Why should your cat be allowed to roam free and this dog can't be free in his fenced in yard?
Bad Form....there is so much that I could retort to here, as a lifelong dog-owner with many varied life experiences, however, this is the Crossing the Bridge forum, and it is my understanding that we are here to mourn Smokette's passing, and allow her family & friends a space to vent their feelings. So,
again, play happily over RB, Smokette!! The loss of your precious life is sorely felt by those left behind here on Earth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn't trying to say anything bad about pit bulls. What I meant was its sad that is had to be a pit bull, because they don't have a good rap (And especially not in my area. Any pit bull that ends up at the SPCA is PTS immediately). So don't start some pitbull debate. I volunteer at a pit bull rescue.

And I agree with catsnome. I personally find it rude to start some form of debate in a thread for the passing of my cat. Hopefully no one else comes in here blaming me for this....don't you think I feel horrible enough about the situation?

roughcollies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do apoligize. I'm not trying to start a debate, just giving another perspective about calling the SPCA. I am truly sorry for what happened to your cat. In my honest opinion though, jumping on the dogs owner isn't fair. Anyone who allows their cats outside is putting them at risk and is fully responsible for anything that happens.

Not trying to be rude, just honest.

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i am so sorry about your loss.
Although I would not call animal control unless these people are not responsible and let there god run loose in the neighborhood. It is not there fault that your cat went in their yard. They can just as easily tell you to keep your cats contained in a enclosed area out side or watch them. It was their yard and it is not there fault. I would assume that animal control can't do anything if the cat went on their land. I could be wrong though. However do what you feel is right but maybe you should think about keeping your cats in an area out side where they can not wonder like that. Or you could talk to the neighbors and ask them to keep the dog on a long leash where it can still run around but the cats have a chance to get away.

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Bad Form....there is so much that I could retort to here, as a lifelong dog-owner with many varied life experiences, however, this is the Crossing the Bridge forum, and it is my understanding that we are here to mourn Smokette's passing, and allow her family & friends a space to vent their feelings. So,
again, play happily over RB, Smokette!! The loss of your precious life is sorely felt by those left behind here on Earth.
I understand your point however when this person said she didn't know what to do and starts talking about maybe reporting a dog that was contained in their own dog it opens up a discussion on what she should or shouldn't do or opens it up for people to give this person advice. Though I am sad for her I agree with the person and I do not feel that it is fair to report nor expect these people to lock up there dog in a kennel with a lid every time it goes outside.

I am sorry for your loss my posts are just advice based off of what this post was saying. I hope that whatever you do works out best for you