Nasty looking injury on a stray

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my strays must have gotten attacked by a male cat or something 2 weeks ago, I was only able to get a good pic of it today (about 2 weeks after injury happened) Does it look like it's healing? The cat otherwise is very healthy and fairly young (3)

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no vet, but personally, I think it looks pretty good considering the wound happened two weeks ago! Have you been dressing it with antibiotic ointment or anything? I'd just keep an eye on it and look for any oozing or increased redness.

I had a stray show up with a similar wound on his hip, but it was freshly injured. It healed very nicely and looked like this kitties wound. After 3 or 4 months, the fur had totally grown back in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I havent done a thing to it, was too afraid to touch it since it looked painful. I cant tell if it was an attack and the flesh was ripped off, or if the cat perhaps fell on a fence and the skin came off.

Whatever it was the injury was rather precise and painful because all the fur was completely gone on the whole area. Looks almost like it was shaved and you see bruising too.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

No I havent done a thing to it, was too afraid to touch it since it looked painful. I cant tell if it was an attack and the flesh was ripped off, or if the cat perhaps fell on a fence and the skin came off.

Whatever it was the injury was rather precise and painful because all the fur was completely gone on the whole area. Looks almost like it was shaved and you see bruising too.
Well, it looks almost healed to me....just missing the fur and no doubt, still kinda painful.
If it were me...I wouldn't put anything on it unless it got worse. My first thought was that he'd either got that leg caught in a fence, or maybe it was scalped by a car radiator fan. Poor baby. How does it affect his walking? I mean, I know it must be sore, but does he use it?

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like its healing up really very well. Since you can't get to the vet I'd just keep an eye on it (watch for inflamation, any openings in it, etc.). If you see anything like that I'd put some Triple Antibiotic Ointment on it...I use it on my cats for scrapes and scratches and it works very well.