*****KatKwery! - Sep 22 - Clean Sweep!*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today's KatKwiz may still be open but since we had a clean sweep, we can proceed with KatKwery while we await today's answer.

Marianjela, who already has won the first seed, picked up 700 points by using see. BelongsToEvie used still. Glitch is back and used care. CatKiki used the word fair. And GoldyCat continues to win! This time by using change.

There were a lot of new words today and I am surprised that they were all used! Note: I do not report word usage in exact order that the questions were asked.

Today's KatKwiz was about awareness ribbons. It was a continuation of the previous KatKwiz.

Maybe we can give the KatKwiz answer out here. Are you under the impression that you can give ribbons to members? Do you know how to give yourself ribbons? There are different prices for ribbons for premium members (as are gifts), do you know how to find these prices? Do you know how to find out whether a member is a premium member or not? Speaking of ribbons, are you aware of the gold ribbon hide and seek going on right now?

If a gold ribbon were to show up in this thread I would not know about it because I can NOT look at this thread until DW and I put the five secret words into the sealed envelope that is opened with more ceremony than the Emmy awards were last night, although I did not watch the Emmys since I was watching the Cowboys whip up on the Pack.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Today's KatKwiz may still be open but since we had a clean sweep, we can proceed with KatKwery while we await today's answer.

Marianjela, who already has won the first seed, picked up 700 points by using see. BelongsToEvie used still. Glitch is back and used care. CatKiki used the word fair. And GoldyCat continues to win! This time by using change.

There were a lot of new words today and I am surprised that they were all used! Note: I do not report word usage in exact order that the questions were asked.

Today's KatKwiz was about awareness ribbons. It was a continuation of the previous KatKwiz.

Maybe we can give the KatKwiz answer out here. Are you under the impression that you can give ribbons to members? Do you know how to give yourself ribbons? There are different prices for ribbons for premium members (as are gifts), do you know how to find these prices? Do you know how to find out whether a member is a premium member or not? Speaking of ribbons, are you aware of the gold ribbon hide and seek going on right now?
I dont think that we can give awareness ribbons to anyone, I have tried to give them as a gift but it never worked, I can however donate the points to someone so they can buy one for themselves! I know how to give a ribbon to myself! I go to shop menu, give ribbons (I may have to enter the bank to widthdraw the points I need to buy the ribbon, then I pick the ribbon I want! But there is NO option to give it to another member, theres no place to put a username in there, just a message! So if you wanted to say have it be for someone you could put FOR "WHOEVER" in the message spot and then when people did a mouse over they would see it!
Im not aware of any gold hide and seek going on but I see you have one and it makes me want to get one also! I think you can hide your ribbons just as you can hide your gifts! Make them a private ribbon like a private gift! If I go into quick links and click on members it gives me a list of all the members and some say registered and some of them have cool things added to their names which you can only do if you're a premium member so I think thats one way, but Im quite certain there is an easier way to get all the premium members in order and I think I remember how but Im not quite sure! Now, Im going to go see whats up with the gold hide and seek! If its a game it could be fun, although I NEVER want to look for shamrocks again! I was having nightmares about those things!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Yam won the KatKwiz yesterday, and she is not a premium member so she pays full price for ribbons, which is 212.70, times 6 ribbons, she paid a total of 1276.20, subtract that from the 8000 you paid her for the Kwiz and bonus yesterday and she made a profit of 6723.80, unless you dont count the 2000 points for the Kwiz itself and only want the bonus profit, then the answer is 4723.80.

No, you can not give ribbons to others, but sometimes I wish you could. Also you can not buy the same ribbon more than once - I have tried.

Although my family has been affected by many types of cancer, I only have the Childhood Cancer Awareness ribbon displayed. I have thought about adding the ovarian ribbon for my mother-in-law and the lymphoma ribbon for my sister-in-law, or the melanoma ribbon for my mother's brother, or the leukemia ribbon for my son, or the breast cancer ribbon for my step-sister or the autism ribbon for my youngest son... but I dont want to overwhelm my ribbons. So I choose to keep it simple. Plus, I think it would be nice if we could personalize the ribbons. FOr example, when you mouse over the gifts, you can see the message the person who gave it to you sent along with iut. When you mouse over the ribbons, you only get what they represent, and some of the ribbons represent a number of things. I wish they would display the message made when the ribbon is purchased.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I am aware that we can not hand out ribbons to members, although sometimes I wish we could, I kind of like it the way it is though, and feel honored when someone buys a ribbon in Josh's honor and lets me know about it. I actually think that makes it more special. And of course I know how to buy a ribbon for myself. I go to the Shop Menu and click on "give ribbons" even if I think the more appropriate phrase would be "buy ribbon" or "purchase ribbon" since you are really just "giving" them to yourself. The price of a ribbon for a non-premium member is 212.70, which includes a 3.25% tax on a 200 dollar item. For premium members, you can find the price by viewing the ribbon history (if you are not a paying member). And that price is 148.89. Lee is the last person to purchase a ribbon - he bought two of them. A total of 746 ribbons have been purchased over the history of this site.

I'm not sure if I know the correct way to find out if a user is a premium member or not, but how I did it was too look through the gift history until I found Yam, I should've thought to go through the ribbon history because there was probably less scrolling that way. At any rate, when I seen how much she paid, I knew she wasnt a premium member. Aside from that, I font know if there is a list out there that displays the paid customers
I did look briefly, but didnt find it right away and gave up. I do know who some of the members are by sight since they have larger avatars or other premium services like personalized/customized text with their Username or title.

As for the last question, thanks for the plug Lee, yes, I am very aware of the Childhood Cancer Awareness Ribbon Hunt going on right now since it was my idea. I am very grateful to the Moderators who have agreed to help me with this contest. And to Lee, if it wasnt for you, I would not have been thinking about what to do with all these points. And to everyone who has ever donated their points to Lee. And to Kim (Kluchetta) who donated some of her points to me when she heard about the contest. This site rocks. Everyone is so great!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought of something else. I think that it's strange that both the ribbon and the gift have the same base purchase price, but the ribbon levies a 3.75% tax whereas the gift only taxes 2.75% yielding two different final purchase prices.
212.70 versus 211.67.... If someone didnt pay attention to that difference, I can see how they would come up with a different answer.

And I was happy to learn of another way to look up the Premium members by clicking on the Cat Forums and scrolling to the bottom to click on "View Forum Leaders". I was pretty sure I had seen a list somewhere before, but for the life of me I could not remember where. It always drives me crazy when that happens and usually I can never rest until I figure it out. Kind of like when you are thinking of a word or name and cant recall it, you know - the 'on the tip of my tongue' thing.

Anyway, I was glad to see the list of Mods/Mentors/Advisers/Administrators and Super Mods? Geez - I dont know if I remembered there were SUPER mods. Cool

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Yay! More points and moving up the ladder. I don't know what I would do with all the points if I actually managed to win. Guess I'll have to start giving some of them away.

I did notice the first time I checked out the ribbon list that I could only give a ribbon to myself. It makes sense in a way. What if you gave someone a ribbon for a cause that he/she does not support. That could be embarrassing.

I am a little frustrated that I can't indicate the cause for a specific ribbon. For instance, I have purple and green ribbons in my profile.

The green ribbon shows support for "Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T" causes.

Purple indicates "Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus".

How does another member know that I support Leukemia (my brother) and Alzheimer's (my father)?
I don't think I wrote anything in the message box when I purchased the ribbons because it didn't make a lot of sense to send a message to myself. I was also not aware that the messages show up if you mouse-over the gifts. I thought they were simply part of the PM. When I mouse over ribbons I see the entire list of causes. Would a message show up there as well if one was written? If so, is there any way to edit after the fact?

I may have seen somewhere that there are different prices for paying and non-paying members, but it certainly didn't make much of an impression at the time. Only one price appears when I go into the gift or ribbon areas. The way I found the different prices was to look at the history of purchases.

That, by the way, is where I found how much Yam had paid for her ribbons. The "view forum leaders" link is just one more unexplored section of TCS. Okay, no longer unexplored. I took a look at it today. I probably would have still gone to the ribbon purchase history to find out what Yam paid, just in case she had bought some ribbons at the regular price, then become a premium member and paid the discounted price for the rest.

I did notice in reading the list of leaders that the number of paying members is relatively small.
Maybe it's time for me to step up and do my part.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

no, altho when the ribbons, gifts & points were first introduced, several of us thought you could give ribbons to other members. doesn't help that the shop menu has 'give ribbons' as an option, either
i obviously know how to give myself ribbons, as i have 3 - one for myself [migraines], one for my mother [breast cancer] & one for my grandmother [pancreatic cancer]. i know how to find the prices for ribbons & gifts, but don't usually look them up. i also know how to locate the prices for things only premium members can purchase - the username/usertitle customizations. i do know how to find out if someone is a premium member - that has been covered in a previous Kwiz. this is the first i've heard about a gold ribbon hide-&-seek - but this is also the first new thread i've replied to today [now, don't you feel honored?
].

ETA: you can only see the message w/a ribbon [if there is one] by viewing the member's profile, clicking on statistics, & scrolling to the bottom, where the ribbons & messages are displayed.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Oops! Forgot to answer the last question. No, I had not read, heard, seen anything about the Gold ribbon hide and seek. Sorry marianjela.

Where do I go to find it? Oh, yeah. I could do a SEARCH!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If a gold ribbon were to show up in this thread I would not know about it because I can NOT look at this thread until DW and I put the five secret words into the sealed envelope that is opened with more ceremony than the Emmy awards were last night, although I did not watch the Emmys since I was watching the Cowboys whip up on the Pack.
I don't think you can give a ribbon to another person, but you can give ribbons to yourself. I have 3 such ribbons and all three is something dear to my heart. The first is the pink ribbon for breast cancer. Even though my tumor was benign, it was still scary. A friend at work is also a breast cancer survivor. The purple is for my deceased friend who had fibromyalgia and also my dad who had altheimers. The gray is for a dear family member who is suffering from mental illness. I wasn't aware that there were different prices for premium members, even though I am a premium member. I don't really know how to differentiate a premium member from a non-premium member except that a lot of the premium members have glowing names and such. I was only aware of the contest when I logged on tonight and read about it. I hope to find a ribbon or two but probably won't since they are all usually found by the time I get home from work and log in. You can give a gift to anyone you want. The last gift I got was a slice of pizza from Lee since I said the word jalepeno in a KatKwery a few weeks ago

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, while we're on the subject of Ribbons I have a question of my own Id like to ask! How come I write a message in there when I buy a ribbon but when I do a mouse over it doesn't say the message like normal gifts??? On the ribbons I just got I dedicated a couple of them to people but it doesn't show up! Just shows what the ribbons are for! So Im all confused now! I already know what they're for but Im curious to know why everyone else has the ribbons they have! Without speculating I mean... Pink has always been a ta ta's thing to me but it looks as though there is another thing associated with the pink ribbon!!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Okay, while we're on the subject of Ribbons I have a question of my own Id like to ask! How come I write a message in there when I buy a ribbon but when I do a mouse over it doesn't say the message like normal gifts??? On the ribbons I just got I dedicated a couple of them to people but it doesn't show up! Just shows what the ribbons are for! So Im all confused now! I already know what they're for but Im curious to know why everyone else has the ribbons they have! Without speculating I mean... Pink has always been a ta ta's thing to me but it looks as though there is another thing associated with the pink ribbon!!
Glitch, I've often wondered the same thing. I personally wish they would show the message behind them instead of what it shows now when you mouse over them. As it is, the only way to see the message is to visit the persons public profile and read it there.

:shrug: Who knows - maybe in the future.

ETA - I was inspired to go and read the messages on your ribbons on your profile again (I know I've been there before though, because I remember reading the message for Joshua). Stand tall girl!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

the only thing i see associated w/the pink ribbon is breast cancer... are you seeing something else?
re: your question about ribbon messages:
you can only see the message w/a ribbon [if there is one] by viewing the member's profile, clicking on statistics, & scrolling to the bottom, where the ribbons & messages are displayed.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Glitch, I've often wondered the same thing. I personally wish they would show the message behind them instead of what it shows now when you mouse over them. As it is, the only way to see the message is to visit the persons public profile and read it there.

:shrug: Who knows - maybe in the future.

ETA - I was inspired to go and read the messages on your ribbons on your profile again (I know I've been there before though, because I remember reading the message for Joshua). Stand tall girl!
Oooh, that was interesting...I didn't remember that you could go into profile and read the reason for the ribbons/gifts.

I've got a few ribbons, but I really wish I could buy them for others! I suffer from depression, so that's the green ribbon; and I've also got a ribbon for Hepatitis C (gayef) and Childhood Cancer (Joshua). I'm a bit embarrased about the black ribbon. I bought it when we had a member "die", but in retrospect that may have been untrue. So I, in my mind, rededicated it to my son's friend who died crossing a highway at night during that same weekend.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

the only thing i see associated w/the pink ribbon is breast cancer... are you seeing something else?
re: your question about ribbon messages:
Laureen, I think what she mean is - and let's use your pink ribbon as an example - if you mouse over your pink ribbon, all you can see is it says "Breast Cancer - Birth Parents" - the buyer of the ribbon (which is totally redundant since you can only purchase a ribbon for yourself, but that's beside the point).

If I were to go to your Public Profile; however, click on the "Statistics" tab, scroll to the bottom, I can see the message you typed when you bought your ribbon "for my mother, a breast cancer survivor!"

We're suggesting, it would be nice to be able to view that message with the mouse-over technique instead of having to go to each individual's public profile.

Especially since some ribbons have MULTIPLE meaning behind them, like the green ribbon for example:

Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T
Which by the way is wrong.... Green is the color for Lymphoma - not Leukemia. Orange is the color for leukemia...

But no matter.... our point is... if I wanted to buy this ribbon, I would like to be more specific in it's representation. Which of course is possible when you type your message, but half the TCS'ers dont even know it's there let alone where to look for it. The mouse over would be a nice touch.

It's done for gifts, so I would imagine it could be done for ribbons.... who knows. I believe this has been brought up before and Anne said someone was going to look in to it. Either that or I was dreaming...

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, after all these responses, it will be a minor miracle if there's even a word left for me to guess! Let alone if I actually guess it!
I knew I should have done this when I popped on last night... Lesson to self!!

Before I tried to do it, yes, I was under that impression. Didn't take me long to figure out that that wasn't an option! As has been said many times already, I, too, wish we could give them to other memebers. We'd have to be very careful that we don't give them in a way that would be awkward, but it would still be nice as an option. A lot of people on here know other people in a personal capacity, and know that such a ribbon would go over well. It's a shame we can't do that. And I definitely wish we could read the messages without going in the profile...

Yup, I know how to give myself ribbons! I have quite a few now. I didn't for the longest time, then one day, decided I had to spend some points, and there they went! ...or here they came?

Eh, I could find out how to see the prices. If nothing else, I could read what every one has written here! He he. I definitely understand why the prices are different for regular versus premium member, but I don't understand why the tax is different for gift versus ribbon! Actually, to be perfectly honest, I don't understand why we're being "charged" taxes on imitation currency! Does the tax actually get put to use somewhere by Anne?? Wouldn't she be able to make changes to the site for free??

Nope, don't know how to find out if some is premium or regular. Well, again, other than reading on here or looking it up some other way! But unlike the prices, I don't really know where to start... Yay for KatKwiz and Kwery!!

Oh yes, definitely aware of it! I've never participated in the other hunts that were going on, but this one is a good "cause".
So I'm trying! I seem to be terrible, though...
Probably because I don't have much time on here and when I do, it's mainly spent typing, not searching!
I applaud everyone who helped to put it on, especially, of course, Marianjela!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think it would be nice if we could personalize the ribbons. FOr example, when you mouse over the gifts, you can see the message the person who gave it to you sent along with iut. When you mouse over the ribbons, you only get what they represent, and some of the ribbons represent a number of things. I wish they would display the message made when the ribbon is purchased.
A KatKwiz question from last year (it has changed a tad now) pointed out that you can click on a member's avatar and then click on the Statistics tab. And there under Ribbons I find this for you:

Childhood Cancer
(Message: For the fight against childhood cancer - Joshua you are my inspiration)

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A KatKwiz question from last year (it has changed a tad now) pointed out that you can click on a member's avatar and then click on the Statistics tab. And there under Ribbons I find this for you:

Childhood Cancer
(Message: For the fight against childhood cancer - Joshua you are my inspiration)
Oh, I know where to find the message, I'm just suggesting that it would be nice to read the message as a mouse over instead - like with the gifts.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

Childhood Cancer
It apparently only works if the person has an avatar. Otherwise you have to click on the username and it takes you to their profile.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Laureen, I think what she mean is - and let's use your pink ribbon as an example - if you mouse over your pink ribbon, all you can see is it says "Breast Cancer - Birth Parents" - the buyer of the ribbon (which is totally redundant since you can only purchase a ribbon for yourself, but that's beside the point).
If I were to go to your Public Profile; however, click on the "Statistics" tab, scroll to the bottom, I can see the message you typed when you bought your ribbon "for my mother, a breast cancer survivor!"
We're suggesting, it would be nice to be able to view that message with the mouse-over technique instead of having to go to each individual's public profile.
Anne said someone was going to look in to it. Either that or I was dreaming...
yeah, i know. i think the software's been written [something about vBulletin] & is no longer being updated, so we'll probably never see that. it'd be nice, tho.
btw - i posted how to read the messages associated w/the ribbons at least twice in this thread