Chipped/Broken Canine Teeth

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I have this one cat that is a very aggressive eater, and he tends to bite/lunge at his bowl while he's eating. A while ago I noticed he chipped the tip of one of his canine teeth, and then this morning I noticed the tip of his other canine tooth is completely missing (~1/8th of an inch is missing from the tip).

He doesn't seem discomforted by it at all, I can poke and prod at his broken teeth to no effect. But I'm wondering if this is something that should be fixed, or looked at by a vet? His canines are also very long, they actually protrude somewhat out of his mouth even with his mouth closed.

I'll try to post a picture later if I can get him to sit still.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably get the vet to look next time you go in.

Kitty had a chipped canine and he actually ended up with an abcess in the root and had to have the tooth removed. He showed no symptoms until the day before he was due for his dental and thats when they found it. They knew something was infected because his blood results were off but they didn`t know what. It must have hurt like hell!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oof, so after much trouble, here's that picture:

So the one on the left is the chipped one, and the one on the right is the one with the tip missing.

Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I would probably get the vet to look next time you go in.

Kitty had a chipped canine and he actually ended up with an abcess in the root and had to have the tooth removed. He showed no symptoms until the day before he was due for his dental and thats when they found it. They knew something was infected because his blood results were off but they didn`t know what. It must have hurt like hell!
Ouch! I hope Shaku won't need his removed, he'd won't be able to give me that "I'm going to bite you!" vampire look anymore without his canines. Sounds like he's gonna need a vet visit then.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it can`t hurt to get them checked. I think it`s just easier for nasties to get into the tooth and into the root when there is a chip.

I don`t really notice Kittys is missing until he does a big yawn

Hope your boy doesn`t have any problems with them. It`s a great picture, by the way!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably best to get it checked, but I can tell you that Bella has had a broken tooth like that since we got her (going on two years) and it doesn't cause her any discomfort. Vet looks at it every year...

phelana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Alfred has the same and my pet sitter noticed it..the Vet told me to watch it so I do...I will have it checked periodically..