Sunshine & Scrappy!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pix of rescue dogs Sunshine and Scrappy-Doo!

The weathergirl forecasts doom and gloom

Until she gets the attention she deserves! She's wagging her tail so hard her tail and ears are a blur

Resting in the office

"Lookin for me?"

All tuckered out after a hard day's play. Awww~

Scrappy-Doo's up next. He's been walking around a lot more. Sunshine loves the snot out of this cute little boy, and I think playing with her helps him get his strength up as well.

Side-view

Walking around chomping grass, or critters hiding in the grass

Doing what he does best - look miserable

"Hello there!"

Sunbathing

"No one can see me here..."

Finding security squashed up between my feet and the chair wheels

You can probably see how wonky his backlegs look

Best pals

Zzzzzzzzzz...

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they are gorgeous!
so good to see scrappy with his buddy. i'm going to send lots of that some angel will come along and adopt them together. how wonderful would that be!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tab

they are gorgeous!
so good to see scrappy with his buddy. i'm going to send lots of that some angel will come along and adopt them together. how wonderful would that be!
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts, but Sunshine and Scrappy have already found their guardian angels
They will be living out their lives at the rescue centre where they are now. They won't be up for adoption, especially for Scrappy since he isn't what you might call able-bodied. Sunshine has been living there for about half a year or more, and is the rescue centre's kinda overfriendly guard dog

Playing with Sunshine has really helped Scraps - I nearly fell of my chair in shock when I saw Scrappy RUNNING
Well he kinda bounded around, but still... Its great progress from when he used to just drag himself around on his belly

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such sweet pics. I like the ones of Scrappy with those EYES lookiing up at the camera. Sometimes the best medicine for a dog is another dog as a buddy.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, I agree with 2dogmom
Its a good thing Sunshine has taken to Scrappy so well. She's actually quite aggressive with the other dog, Penni (who also has wonky hindlegs, but not as bad as Scrappy's).

Sunshine and Scraps are extremely sweet to one another, licking each other's faces quite often. But when they play, it sounds like a horrible fight - mostly because Scrap growls/snarls up a storm - but we know its all play because no one ever comes out injured.

Here's a pic of Sunshine looking at Chip the rescued squirrel. Chip was exploring up in a tree, and Sunshine was... well... salivating.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww what sweeties!!
I am so glad they won't have to worry about being separated. It's great to hear that Scrappy is coming along so well! I'm sure playing with Sunshine gives him great exercise, not mention having a friend of his own kind helps to get him motivated. I bet he's thinking he's not going to let a "girl" beat him!
Keep us posted on how they're doing!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah! I bet that's just what Scrappy thinks... that he's not gonna let some girly beat him
Although the girly in question is twice his size and able-bodied

Well, here are new pix of Sunshine and Scrappy, taken just yesterday... But an update on Scrappy first.. I'm SO proud of this boy!!

Scrappy is kinda nocturnal. He's quite boring to watch during the day since he spends most of his time sleeping, or just lying around looking up at you with those SAD, SAD eyes. Come evening, and he perks right up.

Yesterday evening I watched him explore a grassy area. He obviously wanted to cross the small drain which led to where the rest of the people were. He peered into the drain, decided against crossing, shuffled a few steps to the left, peered into the drain again, shuffled a few steps to the right... repeat process about five times. I called to him and showed him a platform he could use to cross. He looked at me, peered into the drain again... And all of a sudden, he lifted his body, planted both forelegs onto the other side of the drain, and hopped over like it was nothing! I was so amazed I swear I stood there with my mouth hanging open for the longest time.

He did another amazing stunt, which is to hop up onto a couch and hop back down again. The first time we saw him on a couch all by himself with no human around, we thought, "Darn, that's impossible! Someone must have carried him up." Well, he proved us wrong by repeatedly hopping up and down couches in front of us... All by himself
Let's hope this boy continues to surprise us with his spirit's ability to overcome the weakness of flesh.

Some pix of him and Sunshine - his best buddy, whom I firmly believe is Scrappy's main source of inspiration and the reason he can now stay on his feet for amazingly long periods of time and continue to show us that we should really quit underestimating him

Scraps & Sunshine trying to play tug-of-war over an impossibly small piece of rawhide

OK, they've worked out a truce for now.

Sunshine gets the rawhide, Scrappy gets the toy..... Hey! Where's Scrappy?!

Oh right... He wants whatever Sunshine is having... Its back to fighting over that impossibly tiny bit of rawhide.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This picture of Scrappy completely cracks me up everytime I see it! He's looking all guilty because he was caught sleeping where he shouldn't be
This boy is such an expressive cutie-pie

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is just the best pic! how surprised does he look!

and what an absolutely gorgeous boy he is. how i wish i lived there, he would be mine!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New pic of Sunshine. She rolled the ball under her chin and used it as a pillow

Here's Scrappy with Penni. Penni is a dog rescued from a puppy mill. Her hindlegs are deformed, and she would have been put to sleep if the rescue centre boss hadn't brought her home.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is scrappy using sunshine as a pillow in that pic? sure looks like it!

little penni is gorgeous, thanks heavens your boss brought her back. she looks like a sweet little thing. how mobile is she?

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tab

is scrappy using sunshine as a pillow in that pic? sure looks like it!

little penni is gorgeous, thanks heavens your boss brought her back. she looks like a sweet little thing. how mobile is she?
Haha yeah it looks like it, but no, Sunshine is quite a distance away. Its the angle of the shot that makes it look like Scrappy was using her bum as a pillow.

Yeah its a good thing he brought her back, but I'm sure there are plenty who are not as lucky as her. (Btw, I don't work at the rescue centre, so he's not my boss
)

Penni is mobile on the floor. She can even run. But she cannot jump at all. She only has one functioning hindleg which can support her weight when walking, running, and standing... But she can't jump if the surface is too high, nor can she jump down from a height.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Yeah its a good thing he brought her back, but I'm sure there are plenty who are not as lucky as her. (Btw, I don't work at the rescue centre, so he's not my boss
)

Penni is mobile on the floor. She can even run. But she cannot jump at all. She only has one functioning hindleg which can support her weight when walking, running, and standing... But she can't jump if the surface is too high, nor can she jump down from a height.
oops! i just assumed you did.

that's good about penni though, sounds like she can get around fine. infact some people would see it as a bonus that she can't jump onto furniture. i say that having come downstairs this morning and finding my chair covered in collie fur, again!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tab

oops! i just assumed you did.

that's good about penni though, sounds like she can get around fine. infact some people would see it as a bonus that she can't jump onto furniture. i say that having come downstairs this morning and finding my chair covered in collie fur, again!
I can imagine! Yeah it does make her a little more convenient to handle in a way, but she's encouraged to mingle with the dogs instead of sitting in a chair lording it over them

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunshine and Scrappy love the stuffins' out of each other

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scrappy on his throne (he's got no idea the throne makes him look kinda gay...
)

Closeups of his muzzle.. Just for fun!

Having a ball of a time with a bone. Can you spot Whisky and Sunshine watching forlornly in the background?

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i love scrappy on his throne! he's obviously very secure in himself!

great to see them both looking so well and happy. it looks like a pretty special place to me.