TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › urinary diet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

urinary diet?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
this is probably a problem raised before but i wanted to get some advice
my cat is currently being treated for a blocked bladder at the vets. i have been advised by the vet that he may have to be on a prescription urinary diet for the rest of his life.obviously i want to do whats best for my cat but i've also been told that a prescription diet may not be ideal and that cutting out dry food completley is effective healthier. can anyone shed any more light on this in whats best?
p.s. my cat is an 11 year old tom. mixed breed
post #2 of 12
Coco is on C/D and Royal Canin Urinary for her bladder problems.
She has ben on C/D for over two year and started the Royal Canin So last May.
They come in wet and dry.
Is this his first problem?
The C/D and Royal Canin come in wet and dry.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
no, this is the second time he has had this problem first time about a year and a half ago
post #4 of 12
IMO you do not want to feed the urinary diet. I also believe that dry food caused the problem and that feeding a quality no grain canned food is your best bet for this problem as well as being a preventitive or at least not being responsible for causing other problems like diabetes. Check the whole site out if you can

http://www.catinfo.org/#Common_Felin..._Ties_to_Diet_

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyzahn View Post
this is probably a problem raised before but i wanted to get some advice
my cat is currently being treated for a blocked bladder at the vets. i have been advised by the vet that he may have to be on a prescription urinary diet for the rest of his life.obviously i want to do whats best for my cat but i've also been told that a prescription diet may not be ideal and that cutting out dry food completley is effective healthier. can anyone shed any more light on this in whats best?
p.s. my cat is an 11 year old tom. mixed breed
post #5 of 12
what type of crystals??

is this the first time??

what does the cat nomally eat >>??brand dry wet a mix??

Rxs are good for stabilizing and sometimes are nessesary for life but after stabalizing I advise disussing NON Rx options
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
he eats dry and wet food. dry food is usually go-cat and wet food is usually purina gourmet ( think thats what its called.) im not sure what type of crystals it is.
post #7 of 12
Charlie is on Royal Canin for Urinary (dry) and I get Natural Balance, Iams Beef, and Max Cat canned foods. His was last November. He has not had problems since with the above diet.

I feed mainly venison, duck, chicken, lamb, turkey, and beef. No mainly fish foods (like salmon or tuna) in the can.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
what type of crystals??

is this the first time??

what does the cat nomally eat >>??brand dry wet a mix??

Rxs are good for stabilizing and sometimes are nessesary for life but after stabalizing I advise disussing NON Rx options
Please read the post. I see no mention of crystals at least in the first post
Also treatment would depend on whether they are sturvite or not
Scroll down


http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/cystitis.html
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by optionken View Post
Please read the post. I see no mention of crystals at least in the first post
Also treatment would depend on whether they are sturvite or not
Scroll down


http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/cystitis.html
Blocked bladder is often a term used about crystals.. Please do not assume I dont know what I am asking I know volumes about UTI and both common crystals
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyzahn View Post
he eats dry and wet food. dry food is usually go-cat and wet food is usually purina gourmet ( think thats what its called.) im not sure what type of crystals it is.
UK folks correct me ... but if memory serves both of those are lower end grocery foods ... Do you have access to a pets at home>>?? you are more likely to be able to keep him once stable on a non RX diet of good quality
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
so... got my boy home today. no crystals found in his urine he had a "plug of debris" stopping him passing urine and think that he may have had cystitis. they didnt reccomend a prescription diet but said he needs to lose a little weight which will help prevent a reoccurence.
ive got some new food to try (techni-cal and royal canin at the moment). he seems keener on the royal canin at the moment but thanks to everyone for all ur help! now all i have to do is try and get him to take his medicine!!
post #12 of 12
Royal canin and Technical are both in RX form>>?>?

Yes wt loss and control can help alot ... glad it was a plug of debris ( scary thought) that passed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › urinary diet?