Microchips & kittens..

erzsebet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am mostly definitely going to be micro-chipping both of my kittens. But I wasn't sure if it was best to wait till a certain age if anyone has a better experience with a particular brand of microchip? Both of my kittens are about 4.5 months old. Are they too young to be micro-chipped? And which is the best one? Any great experiences (or bad) with any brand would be appreciated!!!!

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittens were microchipped at about four months, although it could have been done earlier. The brand was HomeAgain. I haven't had any problems. It took about three weeks for the vet to send in the registration and for HomeAgain to process it, so that I could log in on their web site and update the contact info.

You might call the local shelter, and a couple of local vets, to see what brands of chips their scanners will read.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine were all chipped at 10 weeks, at the same time as de-sexing.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Kirby got his at the SPCA when he was about 12 weeks old.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There shouldn't be a problem microchipping at 4 months old. If they're not spayed/neutered already, my vet usually does it when they get fixed, but it can be done anytime.

My kitties have both the Avid and HomeAgain brands. I prefer the HomeAgain, because you can update all your info online. Some vets' usual procedure is to send in the registration info from the clinic, but what I prefer to do is to take it home with me and register the kitty myself on the HomeAgain website. That way the kitty is registered immediately, and I don't have to worry about the info getting lost, etc.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hiya!

My Lucy Belle got chipped when she was only 12 weeks old so your kitties are ready. I have HomeAgain and my vet chose this mainly because the other vet around my area as well as the local shelter here uses it. So it'll be easier to scan for her chip should she ever get picked up. Talk with your vet and asked about which chip is used more widely in your area.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

Some vets' usual procedure is to send in the registration info from the clinic, but what I prefer to do is to take it home with me and register the kitty myself on the HomeAgain website. That way the kitty is registered immediately, and I don't have to worry about the info getting lost, etc.
I didn't know that was an option. The vet's fee included the HomeAgain registration fee, and I thought the vet had to handle the initial registration.

Thanks, I'll remember that for my next kitty.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
our vet has said to get her chipped when she gets her second lot of injections and he will chip her for free

frootloop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much does it usually cost to get a kitten chipped? I'm thinking about getting my 3 boys done, but I need to know if it's in my budget first

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At my vet is was $40 just to get them chipped, but if you did it when they are getting altered it was just an extra $10 added on to that bill.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All 3 of our pets (2 cats, 1 dog) have Avid micro-chips (by chance, it wasn't something we picked). I hate that you can't update your info online with Avid (a.k.a. PetTrac).

As far as cost goes, we have only had to pay for 1 cat's micro-chip. It was $35-ish I think. The other two had already had it done before we got them. I drove by a vet's office the other day and noticed that they were offering it for $15. Petco's vaccine clinic offers micro-chipping and probably not for too much. The humane society or other local shelters might have it for less $ also.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got 5 of my foster kittens microchipped today, they're 12 weeks old. I don't like how with HomeAgain you need to pay a yearly fee. Most of my pets have AVID microchips because that's what the vets used where I got them chipped. The kittens chips were $10 because we went to a microchip clinic thing, but then you have to pay to register (it's lifetime registration.)

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I just got 5 of my foster kittens microchipped today, they're 12 weeks old. I don't like how with HomeAgain you need to pay a yearly fee. Most of my pets have AVID microchips because that's what the vets used where I got them chipped. The kittens chips were $10 because we went to a microchip clinic thing, but then you have to pay to register (it's lifetime registration.)
There isn't a yearly fee for basic HomeAgain coverage... the yearly fee is for the additional coverage.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really? Several people I talked to who have HomeAgain microchips in their pets have said that HomeAgain now requires a yearly fee. One person said that when they tried to access the website they weren't able to find their dog's information and when they contacted HomeAgain they were told they had to pay a yearly fee to keep their (basic) registration active. Another person said HomeAgain sent them a letter saying they had to renew their membership.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before I got Slasher and Ripper microchipped last month, I called HomeAgain to ask about their services and fees. The person I spoke to told me that the initial registration fee covers permanent registration, including access to the web site for updating the information, and that the annual fee is only for additional services. Maybe he was lying?

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holly got chipped when she was spayed at 5 months old. She has the HomeAgain chip, and I think the shelter we went to charges 10$.

One thing I didnt know was that you have to pay annualy to keep info on file. I could be wrong since I have not sent in her info yet, but that was an unhappy surprise.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

There isn't a yearly fee for basic HomeAgain coverage... the yearly fee is for the additional coverage.
Any ideas what additional coverage includes? I wasn't inform about any additional coverage that the co might provide aside from the $3000 Insurance for any medical treatment needed if the cat got lost and injured during that time.