Meat question

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so I have some pork chops. The sell by date is Sept. 16, I had them in the freezer and I took them out a few days ago and put them in the fridge. I would say they weren't fully thawed until last night. Will they still be good by tomorrow even though they will be five days past the sell date? Remember, they were frozen.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
as longs as they were FROZEN BEFORE the sell by date you are fine.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vampcow

as longs as they were FROZEN BEFORE the sell by date you are fine.
Yes they should still be fine but I wouldn't leave them any longer then tomorrow just to be on the safe side...Three days after thawing should be the limit with pork, and beef, only two for chicken...

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Yes they should still be fine but I wouldn't leave them any longer then tomorrow just to be on the safe side...Three days after thawing should be the limit with pork, and beef, only two for chicken...
Yeah, I agree with that.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

They should be fine i'd think if you cook them up soon

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they should be fine so long as they are in the fridge. And the sell date doesn't really mean anything. It's a date that the store is required to put on the package, but that doesn't mean the item ceases to be edible after that date. There were times that I would buy meat that was marked 50% off because the date on the package had been reached or passed by a day. The meat was still fine.

And freezing pauses the date. So it means nothing once the item is frozen and thawed.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What's your nose say?

If it smells a hint putrid, don't eat it. Otherwise should be fine.

Same holds true for anything else, milk, eggs, chicken, beef, veggies, etc. Also when meat goes bad, it tends to exude this slime.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It should be okay if it was frozen before it's best before date, it's just if you decided not to freeze it first, then I would throw it away to be safe

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

OK, so I have some pork chops. The sell by date is Sept. 16, I had them in the freezer and I took them out a few days ago and put them in the fridge. I would say they weren't fully thawed until last night. Will they still be good by tomorrow even though they will be five days past the sell date? Remember, they were frozen.
Yep! Fine to eat. Freezing halts everything.

When you consider eating anything. Use your eyes, nose and taste. If it looks ok, smells ok, and tastes ok....it's ok

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You're good. But while it's true that freezing is a good way to keep foods, that's true as long as you're freezing the food safely. Simply tossing packaged meat in the freezer is not safe. That plastic packaging is not meant to ward off freezer burn. Meats and other foods for the freezer need to be wrapped and packaged.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes - if you frozen them before the sell by date, they are still good. Smell them - any strong odor - toss them. Otherwise they should be good to cook.

BTW we break down our meat into servings and put them in freezer bags. Then they go in a cardboard box the is closed up. This helps prevent the freezer burn of just putting the bags in the freezer.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

LOL I just looked at the date the OP posted this!

I noticed that too and was about to respond till I saw the date of the original post by the OP. I'm sure she's probably eaten them by now.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natalie_ca started something when she replied to this thread. I am sure the pork chops are either eaten or for sure need to be taken out of the fridge by now.