Driving phobia

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't drive, can't even sit behind the wheel of a car, I panic, sweat, my hands shaking, all that good stuf.
I drove the golf cart today though! I was so scared! It is phobic, I have been this way forever, I was the only kid in HS who did NOT want to take drivers ed. I passed with a D.
My hands shook so bad I thought I colud not keep them on the wheel, but I did it! I am sort of proud of myself for this!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you
It's good that you're trying to work on this. Sometimes it just takes baby steps and consistancy to help get over phobias.

Have you ever thought about talking to a professional about your phobia? They may be able to teach you useful tools to help when you start to panic
I bet it would make life a little easier on you!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a driving phobia (if you can call it that) for a very short time a long while back after my first (and only) traffic violation.

No kidding though, I ran an amber light that turned red and got pulled over. The cop made me feel like such a lowlife I felt horrible!

I remember once after that, driving to pick up my mom from work, I nearly had a panic attack. Took my a couple months to get over it.

I'm proud of your milestone step today. Good job!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you see my "What are you afraid of?" thread? It's very interesting that almost all of us have some fear that is irrational or based on some experience long ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words! Its seems so silly, afraid of even driving a golf cart, you can almost run faster than the things!
I have thought of geting help for this, It does make life difficult, and now I am living in a place that you really need a car, or have to depend on others to drive you. I am currently unemployed and broke as broke can be, I am gooing to bring it up with my folks though, they know I am terrified of driving and do want to help.
Funny thing is nothing traumatic caused this, I was just wired this way. My brother died at 28 years old in a head on collision, but I was already phobic, though that probably did not help. Going to the hospital every day (he lived, in a coma, for 2 weeks) we drove by the accident scene, broken glass and tail light bits still on the road.
I used to be afraid because I have no sence of direction, but now with GPS that has been solved, now its just down to the core, fear. fear of what, I dont know. Death I guess, but I could die stepping into the shower today!
Even more strange is I snowmobile! Yep, hurtle across frozen lakes at 70mph and no problem. Put me in a car, no way. Maybe there is a claustophobia issue? Hmmm, my Mom was claustrophobic. Guess I have to get a convertable and move somewhere warm all year, lol.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you!

Overcoming a fear is very difficult, but you can do it!

I've been working on overcoming my fear of water. And it hasn't been easy, but at the same time it's been fun.

What I suggest that you do after using the golf cart for a while is to have a friend take you to a completely empty parking lot. Let you sit behind the steering wheel with the car turned off. Use the pedals to get used to them.

Then with the car turned on but in park. Just sit there and turn the wheel and get used to the feel.

Then try putting your foot on the gas and brake with the car on but still in park, as you feel comfortable.

In time have you put your foot on the brake and the car in drive, but not go anywhere.

Then put your foot lightly on the gas pedal so you creep along a short way.

it's all about baby steps.

I'm very proud of you!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent suggestions there! I used to know a man who had a similar problem, and based on what he told me, I think it might also help if you designate a talisman that neutralizes your fear. Maybe a little charm or trnket that you can hang on your rearview mirror or carry in your purse... and as long as you have it with you, you know you're safe.

Congratulations on the golf cart!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't get my driver's license until I was 33 and that was only because my Dad passed away. He was an excellent driver with only one accident that I know of. I took driver's ed but just had no desire to drive. And in my case, my closest cousin died in an auto accident as I was taking driver's ed.

I like the idea of going to a large empty parking lot or similar area. I wish my driver's ed had done that to give me a chance to get the feel of how a car handled.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Funny thing is nothing traumatic caused this, I was just wired this way. My brother died at 28 years old in a head on collision, but I was already phobic, though that probably did not help. Going to the hospital every day (he lived, in a coma, for 2 weeks) we drove by the accident scene, broken glass and tail light bits still on the road.
Now, were I the paranormal type, I would suggest that your original phobia was caused by your unrecognized premonitons of this disaster.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm... do you have the same problem with bicycles? If not, I figure you could bike around a slow residential area with a lot of stop signs so you can take your time familiarizing yourself with the area. And then you could move up to a scooter, motorcycle, and then a small car. And since you snowmobile, you should be pretty familiar with a scooter or motorcycle since the operation is similar (I think).

I think I'm more afraid of other drivers than the act of driving. I'm fine if the road is pretty clear, but once the traffic starts heating up I get the sweats. Getting boxed in on the highway drives me bonkers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Hmm... do you have the same problem with bicycles? If not, I figure you could bike around a slow residential area with a lot of stop signs so you can take your time familiarizing yourself with the area. And then you could move up to a scooter, motorcycle, and then a small car. And since you snowmobile, you should be pretty familiar with a scooter or motorcycle since the operation is similar (I think).

I think I'm more afraid of other drivers than the act of driving. I'm fine if the road is pretty clear, but once the traffic starts heating up I get the sweats. Getting boxed in on the highway drives me bonkers.
I am definatly more afraid of the other drivers! I have been told I have the attention span of a moth, lol, not entirely true, but it is hard for me to concentrate on everything going on around me in a car, which is probably why I do better in a vehicle that is open.
I have driven a scooter before, long time ago, they dont scare me as bad but I am not really comfortable on them. Never tried a motorcycle, though my Dad has one at their other house, not sure if he would let me try it, lol. (its a small dirt bike)
I have become a speed demon now with the golf cart, such as it is, lol. Their driveway is a big hill, I come flying down it full speed, its fun!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Did you see my "What are you afraid of?" thread? It's very interesting that almost all of us have some fear that is irrational or based on some experience long ago.
Where is that thread? i missed it! I think.