Goat Milk

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got some newborn kittens here. The mom was a stray and is very skinny.

I've been supplementing her with goat's milk from a can. But I accidentally gave her too much and she got the poops.

I took her off for two days and am starting to give her some today (depending on the outcome of this thread).

How long will that stuff last in the fridge? it's been about a week. I put it in a container for my food saver and made sure to suck out all the air (those things are great) so it's been sealed.

I poured some in a bowl just now and it smells fine. SHould I be ok to give it to her?

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have an answer to your goat milk question...I commend you for being so conscientous in helping the Mom too. She must feel very happy for your help.

Is she eating well? Alot of new cat moms become skinny when nursing their kitties. I would think that as long as she is eating well and as often as she wants....she will be fine without additional milk. If her food is a premium wet cat food....and plentiful...I would think that she's getting enough nutrition from that to produce the milk that her kitties need.

Since humans drink goat milk, and I see it in the dairy case in the grocery stores, my instinct would be to treat it like cow's milk.....in the carton, in the fridge, and use up before the best before date. Does the can have a best before date on it?

Good luck with the Mom and kitties....you've made friends for life...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats are lactose intolerane. Goat's milk contains lactose, just like cow's milk does. So it will give the cat diarrhea and an unset, crampy stomach. I know, because I'm lactose intolerant and the stomach cramping is awful.

Best to just give the cat food and water and stay away from the milk completely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that's what I thought too but Abysmummy recommended goat milk if I wanted to save a few bucks on KMR.

She got the runs because I gave her WAY too much. A half a can. I didn't know you had to limit it to a few ounces hehe. Abysmummy scolded me!!!

Originally Posted by MAXCAT08

I don't have an answer to your goat milk question...I commend you for being so conscientous in helping the Mom too. She must feel very happy for your help.

Is she eating well? Alot of new cat moms become skinny when nursing their kitties. I would think that as long as she is eating well and as often as she wants....she will be fine without additional milk. If her food is a premium wet cat food....and plentiful...I would think that she's getting enough nutrition from that to produce the milk that her kitties need.

Since humans drink goat milk, and I see it in the dairy case in the grocery stores, my instinct would be to treat it like cow's milk.....in the carton, in the fridge, and use up before the best before date. Does the can have a best before date on it?

Good luck with the Mom and kitties....you've made friends for life...
Thanks for the nice thoughts.

She's eating OK but she waS VERY skinny when she came here. I mean she was pregnant but it was obvious even then she was skin and bones.

She looks like a skeleton still and I can even see every bone in her. Including her haunches by her tail which I can't even feel on my other cats, let alone see.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goat milk is not exactly the same as cows milk, but it can upset a cats tummy if given too much. Goats milk is used to supplement a nursing queen (as well as kittens). In this case his queen was a very skinny stray, who had 7 kittens, he is trying to help her out.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might also want to give her kitten food instead of regular adult food for the extra calories. I've seen a lot of experienced folks recommend feeding a queen kitten food to help her gain/sustain her weight.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there! It appears you're out of the financial bind now (what with buying a new game wheel and all
). My recommendation for goats milk - around 5-10oz a day, err on the side of caution and give her about 5-7oz. Check on expiry before use!

Meanwhile, if you've gotten her kitten food, I would also suggest changing her food slowly (mixing a bit at a time, over a period of time) as that too may cause the runs!

ETA: Oh my goodness! I have done you a grave injustice fastnoc! I meant to type 5-10ml a day not oz! 10mls a day is good not oz!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm still more than broke trust me. I'm over 3 grand overdrawn still. I ordered that wheel on August 7 and it was backordered

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Our forumist JennyRanson tells she often uses goat milk both for kittens and recovering cats. And not only in situations where there are no decent mother milk substitute to get.
Works very well she does witness. With egg yolk in (=the yellow of egg) it is even better she says.

Good for the word of warning given here too much of goat milk is not so good.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I swear by Goats milk.

I raise all my Persians & Exotics on goats milk. Mine don't come with an expiry date and I cannot find a satisfactory one online for long-life goat's milk so 5 days is my bench mark.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all love goat milk as a treat and I swear by it, as Stefan says, for sick and orphan kittens. As with anything if they are not used to it , it could upset their tummies at first, but goat milk is very low on lactose and is a good substitute for mother's milk or KMR. I use the fresh milk and it keeps just like cows milk. Another thing our shelter uses, and I never did before coming here, is fromage frais, or fresh cream cheese, made without salt. The cheese making process reduces the lactose. All their kittens thrive on a small amount a day and I have starting using it too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every vet I have asked what do give a kitten has said goats milk with Kmr ....

I have given it to adults as needed