Pumpkin- Cider Stew

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm soo excited about this recipe!
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/stews/pumpkin-cider-stew/ I was looking up pumpkin recipes online since i've been craving all things pumpkin lately....and I stumbled upon that one! I can't wait to try it out!!!

I got all of the ingredients I needed when I was at the store earlier in the week....but I forgot two of the main ingredients (Apple cider and Cider vinegar) so i've got to go and get those tonight so I can try out the stew! Go figure, I always forget something

Has anyone ever tried this recipe before or similar ones? I'll let you guys know how it turns out

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounded good when you described it, but I have to say, the picture does not make it look appetizing!

No offense! I'm sure you'll make it taste yummy!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On one cruise, we had pumpkin soup. We try virtually all the soups, and we found we really liked that. It was a sweet soup, with many of the same spices as pumpkin pie, but with a chicken stock added to it. Very good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

It sounded good when you described it, but I have to say, the picture does not make it look appetizing!

No offense! I'm sure you'll make it taste yummy!
lol you gave me a good laugh
no offense taken at all - I can see how some folks might think the picture makes it look funny....what did it for me was when I saw the ingredient list though- it just sounds great to me!

Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM that sounds SO good!! I love pumpkin. I cant wait to hear how it turns out!!
There is a lot of good recipes on this site
http://www.verybestbaking.com/products/libbys/
there is a recipe for soft pumpkin cookies that is soo yummy.
Thanks! I'll have to try that recipe sometime!

I'll let you know how the stew turns out! I got the other ingredients from the grocery store tonight, so i'm planning to make it tomorrow

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, pumpkin cookies....

I'll have to tell Dottie about that!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YUM!!! That looks fantastic!

I'll have to give that a try. I'm having friends over for dinner in November (yeah.....I plan ahead...
) and I love doing one-dish dinners. This is a great fall stew!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Wow, pumpkin cookies....

I'll have to tell Dottie about that!
Pumpkin cookies are soooooo good! I have them with warm milk with a little honey added. Sweet as all get out, but just darn good as a before bed snack.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki,

I just got the Oct issue of Martha Stewart (yes, I love her!) and there is a great recipe for pumpkin stew. Unfortunately, it serves 10 and there are only 3 of us at home on Halloween, I probably won't make it as it is written.

The issue is great! Besides great foods, there are lots of Halloween crafts. I am going to make the pumpkin with rats in carved rat holes for Ben's school.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Nikki,

I just got the Oct issue of Martha Stewart (yes, I love her!) and there is a great recipe for pumpkin stew. Unfortunately, it serves 10 and there are only 3 of us at home on Halloween, I probably won't make it as it is written.

The issue is great! Besides great foods, there are lots of Halloween crafts. I am going to make the pumpkin with rats in carved rat holes for Ben's school.
Rosemary i'm watching Martha Stewart right now
Great minds think alike huh?
She has her halloween special on "halloween: bad things, good things" there's soo many cute ideas on there!

If you want to make that recipe you could always just freeze your leftovers so you have them for a night you don't feel like cooking
(I think the pumpkin should hold up well because it's a firmer veggie)

I'm going to attempt the recipe tonight I think! The only problem is I don't have a dutch oven, so i'm going to attempt the first half of the recipe in one of my bigger pots then transfer it all over to a crock pot to simmer for a while.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, i've got it cooking in the crock pot right now
I can't wait till morning when it's done!

I modified the recipe a bit and adapted it so I could cook it in the crock pot so it simmers overnight for a long time rather than on the stove.

Right now I just have the meat and onions cooking with the seasonings and juices (I used stew meat and little smokies). I chopped up celery, carrots, and gold yukon potatoes to add to the stew tomorrow (I don't want them to get mushy so i'll add them when it's close to done.) Tomorrow i'm also going to add the mini pumpkins and apples to the stew too
I can't wait to see how it turns out

I'm thinking of maybe adding Orzo or rice to it as well but i'm not sure yet!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhh i'm totally disappointed

I thought this recipe would be sooo yummy, but honestly- it's just not that great! Total bummer!

Just a heads up, unless you want a mediocre meal, avoid that recipe
It looks better than it tastes.
I'm not sure if it was one individual thing that made it not so great or not, but the whole stew just isn't that great. I feel bad now because I wasted a bunch of good groceries thinking this would be a good meal
I plan to use up what I made though, i hate to waste it- it's ok...but just not so great.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats too bad, Nikki. Maybe you can add some heavy cream and some spices and turn it into a bisque.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh bummer
Well it sure sounded good

I can guarantee the old fashioned soft pumpkin cookies though, I made two batches last night, they're as good as I remembered! Theyre puffy so its like eating muffin tops

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Oh bummer
Well it sure sounded good

I can guarantee the old fashioned soft pumpkin cookies though, I made two batches last night, they're as good as I remembered! Theyre puffy so its like eating muffin tops
Exactly which of the recipes are you talking about? I want Dottie to try them.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a little update- Colin and Kasey (his coworker- they're both motorcycle cops so they ride together) came over and had dinner here tonight - so at they pretty much finished up what was left of the stew
They said they liked it too though so maybe it was just me that didn't like it
(I don't think they were lying - they both had two bowls of it
)

It's still not my favorite, but at least two other folks liked it

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Exactly which of the recipes are you talking about? I want Dottie to try them.
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe....aspx?ID=32364
Soo good. I've never made the glaze though (I dont like things too sweet) and they're good with dried cranberries added in too. Mmm...I think I might have to go get one (or two) from the kitchen

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Just a little update- Colin and Kasey (his coworker- they're both motorcycle cops so they ride together) came over and had dinner here tonight - so at they pretty much finished up what was left of the stew
They said they liked it too though so maybe it was just me that didn't like it
(I don't think they were lying - they both had two bowls of it
)

It's still not my favorite, but at least two other folks liked it
lol, maybe you were too excited and the result was a letdown, even though it was still good

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently it was just me
My sister Kimmy came over earlier and had some too and she loved it