Fat!

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, so now Luna has discovered where I put Shermie's dry food (on the fridge) and now I can't leave it out unsupervised or she'll eat it ALL. She is approaching 16lbs again (lost weight to 14 by eating wet only) because she keeps sneaking dry food. Shermie won't eat wet food so I feed him high-quality dry (currently it's Blue - Spa Select, but also Natural Balance or Wellness).

So my question is...How do I keep their food separate? Or how do I keep Luna from gaining weight again?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are leaving the dry food out (even if its on the fridge) that is your problem.

The cat that is supposed to be eating dry will have to have scheduled time to eat and not be free fed. If you have to, put them in different rooms and leave them there till the food is gone.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

The cat that is supposed to be eating dry will have to have scheduled time to eat and not be free fed.
I'll second this. It's the easiest way we found to control the weight of one cat without distrupting the other...of course the downside is that when they get used to being fed at certain times every day, they can get very insistant about eating at those times - even first thing in the morning on weekends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Clarification:
When i adopted Shermie I started him off on wet food, which was fine. But after a while he stopped eating it entirely. I tried different kinds all with the same result. I got worried and bought him dry so he would at least eat.

Also, I'm not free-feeding Shermie anymore. I feed them both in the morning and night, and when Shermie's done eating I put the food away and go to work, I leave Luna's out. I can't leave them in different rooms as I have a studio and if one of them gets locked in the bathroom, they destroy stuff.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

Also, I'm not free-feeding Shermie anymore. I feed them both in the morning and night, and when Shermie's done eating I put the food away and go to work, I leave Luna's out. I can't leave them in different rooms as I have a studio and if one of them gets locked in the bathroom, they destroy stuff.
I'm confused. If you are putting Shermie's food away when he is finished how is Luna getting at it? Do you mean that when Shermie is trying to eat Luna pushes him out of the way and eats his food unless you supervise and stop her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes i forget to put it away. and I was wondering if there is a way to make it so i forget less or if there was any magical solution i haven't tried yet. I have discovered that he can get onto the top closet shelf and Luna can't, so I've been putting his food up there.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

Sometimes i forget to put it away. and I was wondering if there is a way to make it so i forget less or if there was any magical solution i haven't tried yet. I have discovered that he can get onto the top closet shelf and Luna can't, so I've been putting his food up there.
The only "magic" I know of is to stop feeding dry food. Feed a low carb canned food only. Luna will be less likely to overeat and over time will probably lose weight without you having to do anything else.