*****KatKwiz! - Sep 19 - HARD! NEW! HUGE PAYOUT!?*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you use Yahoo or Google or some other search engine to find sites, you use keywords or phrases. When The Cat Site was designed, certain keywords and phrases were designed into the site. Consider how KatKwery works, if you match the secret word, you win. In the case of finding information on the internet, if you match the keyword or phrase designed by the site, you win. In the former, you win 700 points. In the latter you win by finding the info you are looking for.

You will definately be disqualified if you tell where you got your information and unfortunately, the game will have to end. But, whether by luck, or by skill, you will be paid one thousand points for each keyword or phrase that you can match with TCS, (and then later you can match secret words with KatKwery).

This is a KatKwiz never, ever touched before.

For one thousand points each, and with no limit, name each of the keywords and phrases used to find TCS on the internet.

Hint 1: You would not use DOG as a keyword to find The Cat Site.

Every keyword or phrase you guess that is wrong will deduct 1000 points from your score also; so if you got 15 right and 10 wrong you would win 5000 points. You must be the first to use any one of the secret keywords or phrases but anybody after you can get more of the keywords or phrases right. There will be no more hints. This should be a great game and give you a preview of how the New KatKwiz will be after the KatKwery games are over. Finally, this game will run for the full 8 hours. You will just have to determine whether there are any more correct answers or how many there might be. (You cannot go below zero in points.
)

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I've found a few, all containing the word cat of course.

CAT forums
CAT site
CAT health
CAT behavior
about CATS

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In advance, I just woke up so I found the question a little confusing. I hope Im answering it right (so other people can definitely still answer correctly!)

(some) Keywords to find TCS online:
cats, kittens, cat health, cat behavior, cat care

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

When you use Yahoo or Google or some other search engine to find sites, you use keywords or phrases. When The Cat Site was designed, certain keywords and phrases were designed into the site. Consider how KatKwery works, if you match the secret word, you win. In the case of finding information on the internet, if you match the keyword or phrase designed by the site, you win. In the former, you win 700 points. In the latter you win by finding the info you are looking for.

You will definately be disqualified if you tell where you got your information and unfortunately, the game will have to end. But, whether by luck, or by skill, you will be paid one thousand points for each keyword or phrase that you can match with TCS, (and then later you can match secret words with KatKwery).

This is a KatKwiz never, ever touched before.

For one thousand points each, and with no limit, name each of the keywords and phrases used to find TCS on the internet.

Hint 1: You would not use DOG as a keyword to find The Cat Site.

Every keyword or phrase you guess that is wrong will deduct 1000 points from your score also; so if you got 15 right and 10 wrong you would win 5000 points. You must be the first to use any one of the secret keywords or phrases but anybody after you can get more of the keywords or phrases right. There will be no more hints. This should be a great game and give you a preview of how the New KatKwiz will be after the KatKwery games are over. Finally, this game will run for the full 8 hours. You will just have to determine whether there are any more correct answers or how many there might be. (You cannot go below zero in points.
)
I have 4 that I can list before work

cat care forums
kitten care forums
cat health forums
cat forums

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
catsite
cat forums
cat behavior
cat shop
cat breeds
cat care
cat snips
cat health

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Yikes! You really don't want to give away all those points, do you? I know there must be some place to look up all the keywords at once, but since I don't have a clue where it's down to a guessing game for me.

mrblanche already took all the words I thought of
. I'll be back later if I can come up with any more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Yikes! You really don't want to give away all those points, do you? I know there must be some place to look up all the keywords at once, but since I don't have a clue where it's down to a guessing game for me.

mrblanche already took all the words I thought of
. I'll be back later if I can come up with any more.
No, no, no, I don't want to give all those points away.
But, who said anybody has won any points yet?

However, there is something new to learn today and at this point I feel it is OK to comment on your statement that there must be somewhere to look up all the keywords at once. That is a logical assumption.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats, kittens, cat health, cat behavior, cat care, cat breeds, cat forums, cat cards, cat links, cat forum, cat boards, The Cat Lounge, Care & Grooming, Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care, What's New, Pussycat?, Health & Nutrition, Behavior, Multi-Cat Households Challenges, Previous Expert Forums (closed), Breeders Corner, Breeders Notice Board, Caring for Strays and Ferals, Cats S.O.S, New Cats on the Block, Premier Lounge, Crossing the Bridge, Cats and Other Animals, IMO: In My Opinion, TCS Support/Announcements, Members' Market Place

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay, I'm back. I didn't read everybody's lists to see if I got any words they missed. You're going to have an awful lot of work to do when this KatKwiz end.

cats, kittens, cat health, cat behavior, cat care, cat breeds, cat forums, cat cards, cat links, cat forum, cat boards, What's New, Pussycat?, Health & Nutrition, Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care, Behavior, Care & Grooming, Previous Expert Forums (closed), Breeders Corner, Breeders Notice Board, Caring for Strays and Ferals, Cats S.O.S., New Cats on the Block, The Cat Lounge, Premier Lounge, Crossing the Bridge, Cats and Other Animals, IMO: In My Opinion, TCS Support/Announcements, Members' Market Place.

Checked back again and I think marianjela may have gotten all of these first.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paws and Reflect
Caption This Picture!
Fur Pictures and Videos Only!
Pet Pics
Breaking Mews
Announcements
Forums How-To and FAQs
The Signature Shop
Tech Talk
Holistic Feline Health and Nutrition
Litter Box Advice with Marilyn Krieger
CatPsych Feline Behavior Advice
Sharing Golden Moments
Feline Genetics
Bottle Babies
Ask Animal Control

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Paws and Reflect
Caption This Picture!
Fur Pictures and Videos Only!
Pet Pics
Breaking Mews
Announcements
Forums How-To and FAQs
The Signature Shop
Tech Talk
Holistic Feline Health and Nutrition
Litter Box Advice with Marilyn Krieger
CatPsych Feline Behavior Advice
Sharing Golden Moments
Feline Genetics
Bottle Babies
Ask Animal Control
What is this? You have already answered!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What is this? You have already answered!
Well, I figured since the contest was open for 8 hours... and you said NO LIMIT... and that members could keep answering with new keywords til the contest was closed...

but dont worry. If I happen to have all those right, I dont expect all those points. I will only donate them back to the "cause".

ETA - I found 46 keywords total (only 7 of those found by other members before me)... I dont know if you expected there were that many or if that many would be found. Which is why I said I would donate mine back... Although, I do have a new contest in the works with the moderators that should start in a couple days that I am pretty excited about!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

cats, kittens, cat health, cat behavior, cat care, cat breeds, cat forums, cat cards, cat links, cat forum, cat boards, The Cat Lounge, Care & Grooming, Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care, What's New, Pussycat?, Health & Nutrition, Behavior, Multi-Cat Households Challenges, Previous Expert Forums (closed), Breeders Corner, Breeders Notice Board, Caring for Strays and Ferals, Cats S.O.S, New Cats on the Block, Premier Lounge, Crossing the Bridge, Cats and Other Animals, IMO: In My Opinion, TCS Support/Announcements, Members' Market Place
I should have known that you were going to come along and spoil all my fun! Everything you have here is correct (no adding later). Some of them were already used correctly, however. First though, I am going to call on my twenty years of teaching computer subjects and try and get some very valuable information to our members that want it. Today's KatKwiz was really a biggee and if you will do the following exercise, you will know a lot more than you did before (unless your name is marianjela.)

I am going to use google.com as the search engine since most of you seem to use that.

1. Enter Cat Behavior. You will get about 4.7 million hits.
2. Now enter "Cat Behavior". You will get about 323K hits, considerably less.
3. Now enter Cat AND Behavior. You will get about the same 4.7 million hits. That is because google interprets all words you enter as AND functions.
4. Finally, enter Cat OR Behavior. You will get about 1.12 BILLION hits.

The words Cat and Behavior are keywords but "Cat Behavior" is a phrase.

When you enter Cat Behavior, good luck on ever finding The Cat Site on the list returned. But when you enter "Cat Behavior" you will find The Cat Site right there on the first page of the list.

The reason for this is because "Cat Behavior" is defined as a phrase in the internal coding of the site.

From here, click on TheCatSite.com logo to take you home. Then, right click and from the list choose View Source. You are now looking at the HTML for the site. Back in the old days, people had to design web sites from scratch using HTML but now we have programs to do that for us. Now look for "keywords" and you will see a list starting with cats, kittens, which are single defined keywords and you will then find the defined phrases. The reason that "Cat Behavior" pulled up The Cat Site on the first page is because it is defined that way in the HTML. You will find Cat Behavior separated by commas which in HTML is the same as you entering "Cat Behavior".

Now if you go to each of the forums like marianjela did and right click, you will find the additional keywords that she did.

I have been designing web sites for a long time and in addition to analyzing keywords, search engines pay a lot of attention to the words used in the title. I always stuff my titles with lots of keywords and phrases. You have probably seen people that do this and some search engines will dismiss you but there are ways around that. It is my humble opinion that The Cat Site will always be The Cat Site no matter what you stuff into the title HTML. The next important thing that a search engine analyzes is the "description". Note that The Cat Site dupes both of these fields and is not the best way to get hits. Again, filling the description up with keywords and phrases will get you additional hits but be careful. I have software that shows exactly what keywords and phrases are used the most and these three areas are bound to get you a higher placement if used to the maximum without going overboard.

So, who the heck won now that the lesson is over? That depends on how lenient I am. Monaxlisa used cats and kittens, two keywords defined by TCS. She also used Cat Care. But if Cat Care were entered, you now know how different that would be than entering "Cat Care" and "Cat Care" is what is defined by TCS in the HTML. Such is the price of experience and learning. But Persi just pranced in here and told me we will forget the " since this is the first time it was covered in a KatKwiz. So, Monaxlisa gets 3,000 points for cats, kittens, and Cat Care ("Cat Care"). Same deal with luvmycat1. She used Cat Health which we will accept as "Cat Health", Cat Behavior, and Cat Forums. But, where is Cat Site and about cats defined? (Just let me know if there is an HTML definition for these somewhere that I am too lazy to look for right now.) 3-2 = 1,000 points. However, the correct ones used cannot be passed on (to marianjela). The only other hit I see is mrblanche who used Cat Breeds but I do not see Cat Snips defined. Also, Cat Behavior was already used and Cat Site and Cat Shop are not defined by TCS as phrases. And today's KatKwiz does specify you will be paid one thousand points for each keyword or phrase that you can match with TCS.

That brings us to marianjela. While it is true that the contest was open for 8 hours, it is also stated in the rules that only your first response will be counted. So, using your first reply, I see a total of 22 of those answers that were not used.

OK, this lesson has cost me dearly. Looks like I will be financing your new contest. Geez, I hope it doesn't put the KatKwery playoffs in the background...

Here is the damage, subject to change as needed.

luvmycat1 - 1,000 points

monaxlisa - 3,000 points
marianjela - 22,000 points

I hope some of you have learned something today. Meanwhile, I will be licking my wounds.

And I gotta give away 139,100 (or more) points next month!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I should have known that you were going to come along and spoil all my fun!

luvmycat1 - 1,000 points

monaxlisa - 3,000 points
marianjela - 22,000 points

I hope some of you have learned something today. Meanwhile, I will be licking my wounds.
Wow! That was harsh.
I guess I better go and lick my wounds now.

Congratulations to the other winners, and thanks for the opportunity to play today Lee.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm too late, but is the the particular bit of code you were mentioning Lee?

<meta name="keywords" content="cats, kittens, cat health, cat behavior, cat care, cat breeds, cat forums, cat cards, cat links, " />

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

<meta name="keywords" content="cats, kittens, cat health, cat behavior, cat care, cat breeds, cat forums, cat cards, cat links, " />
Yep, that's it! But there was an easier way to do it. At least for me, and maybe that's because I use FireFox.

I right-clicked on the page, then selected "view page info"

If listed all the keywords for me, without having to sort through HTML

Yep, I just checked IE... that option is not available, you have to view the source using that browser. But if you use your search function, I suppose it wouldnt be that hard to find the meta tags.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Yes, that is it. Anything between the commas is treated as a search item, whether it be one or more words.