Need some experiences about rescue for the blog

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
I am writing for the TCS blog and would love to hear your good and bad experiences with rescue work. My entry will be entitled the Highs and Lows of Rescue.
Your help is much appreciated.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Living here in that "magical" place known as "The Country", where all unwanted pets find loving homes and run free through the fields *rolleyes* I have plenty of stories ... do you want us to post them here or ... ?

lsuguscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm new here, but here goes...

When Hurricane Gustav hit Baton Rouge this year (2008), it was a pretty hectic time. During a break during the storm, me, my girlfriend, Laura, my two roommates Austin and Eddie, and their girlfriends, Meagan and Emily (respectively) decided to go out and see what was going on.

We drove by my girlfriend's apartment to see if she was getting water in her apartment. she wasn't so we decided to head out. As we were driving through the parking lot, Eddie shouted out for us to stop. We had been collecting fallen signs and there was a sign in the area so we thought he was going to get a sign. The girls had stopped in their Jeep behind us and when Eddie ran over to this puddle, they jumped out. Austin and I were still in his truck and were wondering what the hell all the commotion was about. We jumped out and walked over there and what we saw was a baby kitten in a puddle. The parking lot was pretty flooded, so it was amazing that this area was relatively dry and this poor cat was just in a small puddle. Only his head was out of the water and he was still breathing. Emily immediately burst into tears (already being a cat owner) and Laura ran into her apartment to get a large towel to dry him off and warm him up.

We ended up going back to me, Austin and Eddie's apartment (where every body was staying for the storm) and kept the cat, who we had just named Gustav, or Gus for short. We tried to give him some mushed up dry food after we soggied it up with some water. He didn't like it, but we are new cat owners and had no idea what he would or wouldn't like.

That next day, we called up the LSU Vet School to see if they were open, even if only on an emergency basis. They were so we took Gus in immediately to see if he was OK. They said he was fine, about 2 weeks old, and just had an ear infection and gave us some medicine, some KMR, and a PetAg bottle with some nipples to feed him. We started to feed Gus a lot and pay him a lot of attention. About a day later or so, he started to have diarrhea with some blood in it
We immediately took him back to the LSU Vet and they kept him for 3 days to monitor him. He wasn't really eating when we were feeding him and he wouldn't eat for them either so they were tube feeding him. Not the best way, but it was the only way he would "eat". They taught us how to tube feed him and sent us on our way.

Gus is now probably close to 4.5-5 weeks old, if that. He is growing faster every day and becoming increasingly more playful every day, too. he is eating some Iams wet cat food (gourmet chicken flavor) on a daily and normal basis along with some KMR for some extra fluids just to make sure he is hydrated enough. My girlfriend and I take it day by day and week by week to keep this little fighter alive and healthy.

Throughout this whole ordeal, Gus has brought me a lot of happiness and joy. As a guy, I thought I would NEVER own a cat, let alone a kitten. On top of that, I NEVER thought I would raise a baby kitten from nearly 10 days old (his eyes were closed when we rescued him) to possibly death. I absolutely love this little dude and love playing with him, even when he scratches my face, legs, arms, hands, feet, and anything else he can get his claws on. At the same time, Gus is a handful. My girlfriend and I have to coordinate between classes (we are both students at LSU) to feed him about every 5 hours and make sure he gets his social time. We have to get him to poop and pee by stimulating him, we have to train him how to eat food from a bowl, drink water from a bowl (still haven't perfected this
), use a litter box (just started training tonight...he doesn't get it
), clean up pee when he pees on the carpet or towels, etc...

If I had to do it all over again, I would. No doubt about it. It is, BY FAR, easier to adopt a cat that is already 8 weeks old or so, litter trained, and everything else, than raise a cat from near infancy, without a mother, to adulthood (this is not to say that it isn't hard, either, though). The rewards that my girlfriend and I have experienced in just a few short weeks are countless and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Gus is a blessing to us and we love this little furball

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Living here in that "magical" place known as "The Country", where all unwanted pets find loving homes and run free through the fields *rolleyes* I have plenty of stories ... do you want us to post them here or ... ?
Same here.
I got lots of stories, where do you want them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please post here in the thread.
Sorry if I was not clear enough.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good - Fostering (and then adopting Molly) - she had been at the rescue since just before I volunteered for them, and she sounded so mixed up that I wanted to foster her, but she was rather aggressive so the rescue didn't wnat to risk moving her, then she disappeared, and then by December, i was told that they didn't think she had long left, so I offered to take her, to give her a home life for the little time she had left - I have had her 3 years in December, and all her bloods have been fine, so she was just depressed. I know she wouldn't have had more than weeks/months left if she had been there, so i am really glad that I put my feelings aside to foster her, as she has been one of the most wonderful cats i have ever owned, and dread the day she is no longer here, she is nearly 16.

Phoebe - dumped on the streets after her owners moved out, she was caught and brought to me - at first, we thought she was the mum, then the daughter, and the vet confirmed that she was indeed the mum, although she is very small for her age. We know she had kittens 6 months ago, cos one of those was dumped wiht her, the vet could tell she had had kittens 3 months ago from her uterus, and she was also 3 weeks pregnant, but this wasn't noticed till it was too late - she is the first cat I have had to do a spay/abort on, so that was rather sad, but with how many litters we know about, I am glad. She also turned from a growling ball of fur into a really loving, playful affectionate cat, just still waiting for a home nearly 5 weeks later. I Dread to think what would have happened to her otherwise.

We are also dealing with a sad story at the moment, but I want to see how it ends first.

There have been over 60 cats in 4 years, so am sure there are more tales, but i would have to sit and think a bit more, these are just the ones that I have time to type!! SJ's story makes a good one, an absolutely wonderful one and one that makes me very proud, and there are the ones of the oldies that were dropped off to pts with no real reason

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing. I love the good stories. Thank goodness you got Molly. Sometimes kitties just need someone to take the extra time.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
me too, when I am having a bad time with phone calls etc, I just look at her and it reminds me of why i do it - she woudlnt be alive today, she was depressed in a rescue environment and needed a home environment - it only took a couple of weeks before she had gone from barely eating to eating me out of house and home!!

There is the sadness too, when you lose cats, something i have had my fair share of this year, but at least they got to live their life out in a home environment rather than a rescue, and got to be with someone who loved them. I try not to get angry at the reasons why they end up with us, I prefer to use the energy loving them, and also, I am glad that some of them have ended up in rescue, as they get love, possibly for the first time in their lives, and the chance of a decent home. And any that come here get a home environment, and i take cats from the rescue who obviously need a home environment.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Otis - Came out of the woods around our home as we were building. We gave him some potted meat (all we had) because he looked like he was starving and he stayed for several years. He got sick right after we moved in and so I brought him into the house to recover from shots, medicines and neutering ... that didn't work. After all meds were finished, he became extremely depressed and wouldn't eat. He just sat by the door meowing plaintively so he went back outside. He stayed on my porch deck most of the time, but one day on my way home from work, I found him dead on the road in front of my house and swore he would be the last outside kitty I ever would have.

Buttons - Owner throw-away ... I found Buttons plastered up against the side of my house during a hurricane. He was soaking wet and so very thin. I opened my kitchen door and he slid in over the linoleum ... he stayed for two years inside until he decided not to use the litter box anymore. I tried for several weeks to not let him outside, but he would be in clear distress, pawing at the door to go out and potty - frequently having accidents right in front of the door. So, out he went, but always to return shortly afterwards ... until one day, he went out and never came home. To this day, I do not know what happened to him.

Moe - I first saw Moe as a kitten in the late Spring and tried all that summer to catch him to no avail. Finally, over the winter, he came in the house and stayed with us all that winter. He became deathly ill with pneumotitis. Moe was suffering and the antibiotics weren't helping. The vet recommended euthanasia, which we allowed.

The Bag of Kittens - Someone dropped a green trashbag in our ditch in the middle of the night. Luckily, my husband works nightshift and can't stand to see trash on or around our property. So, he stopped in the driveway to pick up the bag and discovered 5 little kittens, about 6 weeks old. In to the house they came. They were adopted out to friends and family members ... one went to my niece and my mother who share a house ... Gengi is now a very spoiled, much loved little man.

The Box of Kittens - Sadly, we were too late with this litter, but we tried.

Michael - A stray that showed up in my yard. I saw a cat laying on the edge of my yard where the woods began and went out to see about him. He was obviously hurt and so I picked him up to bring him into the house to go to the vet. He broke. He literally broke in my hands. He died instantly. He had evidently been hit by a car and had somehow managed to get to my yard. It turns out he belonged to one of my neighbors who shouldn't own pets and she was livid when she found out that I had taken him in and that he had died in my care. She told me, even though I hadn't asked her to, that she wasn't going to pay the vet bill. *sigh*

The German Shepherd Puppy - She was running around my front yard one early morning barking her fool head off at the doves. No tags, no collar, not spayed. I decided to keep her. I named her Greta. She delivered 6 healthy pups about two weeks later. Greta stayed here with us until she was adopted by my best friend, Tricia. The puppies were given to the no-kill humane society and were all adopted out by loving families.

There are many, many more stories of rescues and strays around our place, but they are not happy endings. I've given you both the joys and heartbreaks I have experienced. I hope this helps.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bea, someone lost/dumped her right after Christmas. A declaw gone wrong, her claws were growing back in. She was re-declawed (either that or euthanize her). Adopted, came back for not liking other cat. Feb 1 she came to my house, she's still here. VERY early stages of renal failure, eats canned only diet. Can only get in/out of certain boxes, so has her very own boxes with special litter she'll use. Took her months to be able to walk after her surgery, several more months went by before she could climb stairs. She has good days & bad, but the truth of the matter is I may not win this battle anywas, she isn't getting adopted & the longer she stays here the more aggressive she becomes.

The Chairman Squishy Meow. Old fart, squinty eyes, sat in the shelter for a few months. Then someone noted some hairloss, so Ringworm was assumed. He was scheduled to be euthanized the following AM when I took him home. Figured, farm cat is better than dead! Turns out his ringworm was a bed sore, nasty one, from sleeping in his litterbox. It became infected....I think it took almost 4 months to get his hair grown back in/the wounds healed up. He now lives as an outside cat, and the vet has confessed he's probably around 18 years old, not the 13-15 he told the shelter. He just didn't want to see him euthanized for age! :lol3

Molly (aka Kitler) was going to be euthanized for chronic weepy eye, couldn't go to a farm like that, not friendly enough to be adopted. I took her home as a farm cat, she wasn't car savvy, so now she lives in my house.....rubbing all over my right now & squeaking in my ear.

4 itty bitty babies, brought in premie to the shelter with no hair. The chances are survival at that age are slim to none. I fought, but within hours all were gone. All you can do is watch them die.

Ophelia Rose, living in my neighbor's garage. Feral, my neighbor was going to turn her loose (unspayed, unbeknownst to me & DEAF). I took her in. She's a
& a half, bi-polar, neurotic, unhinged, and unstable. Sometimes requires meds to keep her from attacking other animals or people, but she's made great progress & is a nice cat. Deeply attached to my lil sis, who dearly needs it.

Eden....picked her up from a TCS member. The neighbor was neglecting the cats. They were living indoors/outdoors, and she had many litters. She was pregnant again....I picked her up sun, the friday, just 2 days before, she had something happen that caused her to have balance issues. Her balance has come back almost 100%, but she still slips once in awhile & needs her claws to keep her in place. Here I sit with this purebred Seal Point Siamese. Been neglected a fair amount of her life. One of the most amazing cats I've ever met. Cuddly, lap cat....just an angel.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Of course the good side of being a foster parent are the rewards you get from the experience. The knowledge of knowing you are helping out an animal. We foster pregnant cats and nursing mothers and their litter. When I assist with the birth of a litter and it becomes obvious that a kitten wont make it without your help, whether the mother is just too tired, or whether a kitten aspirated some fluid, it is of course very rewarding to know you helped save a little life that wouldnt have made it otherwise. Also knowing that without your help, that mother might've had to spend it's gestation, parturition and/or rearing kittens cooped up in a cage or even worse outside in the elements with predators and dangers all around. Not to mention that kittens that are confined to shelter life run the risk of contracting diseases that they arent yet vaccinated against. Lastly, when you foster a mom and her kittens, you can be satisfied that there is a cage open for another unfortunate cat down the line.

Now for the bad... I got a call once to foster a mom who had given birth the night before, when I went to the shelter to pick her and her kittens up the next day, she had an additional 3 older orphan kittens in with her to nurse. All together there were 7 kittens. All seemed to be going well the first couple days, but then I noticed the older kittens' eye were getting funky. Turned out the older kittens had Herpes Viral Conjunctivitis, which is very contagious, and by the time we caught it in the orphan kittens, the newborn kittens were already exposed and came down with it also. We ended up losing 2 of the newborns down the road when they didnt respond to the antibiotics. In the end you have to remind yourself that the mortality rate is sadly high in kittens and you have to assure yourself that you did everything you could for the kittens, and that without your help the situation could have been worse.

Which reminds me, when fostering kittens for a shelter, make sure they offer supportive services, and give you the number of their vet and an emergency number if you need it.

Now for the ugly... as I said earlier, the mortality rate in kittens is high, but most recently a pregnant foster came to us and days later had her kittens. One of the kittens was born inside out - literally it's intestines were on the outside of it's body. It was the saddest thing. Here's this little life that appeared to be doing fine otherwise, it could scootch around in the nest, it could nurse from it's mom and it could meow. Yet, we had to make the heart-wrenching decision to euthanize it. But she had 3 healthy kittens in all. They are 7 weeks old now. One of which is a twin to the one who didnt make it. And it just so happens that this twin has inched it's way into my heart. Some of the time, it is really hard to let go of your foster-babies and their mom's when their time comes. Sometimes there are some that are harder than others. This little pointed-guy we have now it no exception. But I might make an exception...

Back to the good. It is heart-warming to open your home to these cats that otherwise have nothing. It is heart-breaking to have to see them go, but reassuring to know you have had a hand in rearing them and finding them new beginnings.

My house is currently at 3 resident cats. But we will be making room for one more little guy.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I have some stories but some are Sad.
Do you want to hear them?
Yes. Don't be afraid to share. I want the truth.

I cried like a baby for the little ones lost
Bless all of you. The unsung heroes of rescue.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
more sad - we took in a cat in jan this year who was painfully thin, and we couldnt work out for the first few days if she was pregnant or just wormy. 2 weeks and a day after coming into our care, she went into labour, but had complications - 2 babies were deformed, she had one live one but seemed to be having issues, so at 6.30 on a Sun night, we had to go to the emergency vet with her - we honestly didn't think she would have anymore live babies after the 2 dead, the vet opened her up and she had one more live baby, so only 2 out of the 5 survived - with how thin she was, i am not surprised, and sadly she only had 2 weeks of being built up before she had them. The babies were gorgeous, but always small for their age, so we held onto them longer than normal. I am grateful that she went into labour in the afternoon, or it could have been a much sadder outcome - all went to fab homes though, which is the heartwarming part.

The year before we took in a pregnant mum who was doing fine till she gave birth, then went downhill and we ended up losing her and all her kittens, that wasn't pleasant.

Heartwarming - I was taking pics for the last rescue I fostered for, and there was this big black and white boy who was so scared he weed himself just for me taking his pic - a few days later, I lost my foster cat so offered to give him a home environment - the rescues intention was to give him shelter over the winter (this was Nov) and then find a farm placement, as they didn't feel he would like living in a house. He was so very nervous, but apart from pooing in his carrier when coming to mine, he never had another accident, he was with me for 5 months, and while I couldnt touch him very well, he really liked his home comforts, but bullied my two cats. He found a wonderful home where he can be the boss, and he is a lovely cat now, I went to see him last Nov, which was 3 years after him coming to me, and he sat on my knee for part of the time I Was there, i was so glad i offered to give him a chance, he got the life he deserved.

Then there are the oldies, quite a few of those have come here due to their owners wanting them pts, we probably take on more than we would if I wasnt part of the group, as they are the ones that pull on my heartstrings!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 1989 about 2 months after my Patches died we found some ferals in our yard. We tried to catch them a tiger striped kitten and a siamese looking kitten went up the telephone pole.
We caught the siamese looking one and kept her but the other fell and hit the fence. My brother said its ok and it was dead the next min. We did catch about 8 kittens kept two. Stripe who had borderline breast cancer at age 4 that she beat but I lost at age 11 to Crf and Whitie who died at age 15. Then after that we caught more ferals and we kept some again. My Smokey was very small and I lost her in 2005 at age 11. Simba my sister kept and she lost him at age 9. We found I think 7 that time. Smokey had half a ear when we caught her. Someone also dumped Bogart on our porch and he was almost dead but we saved him. he only lived 3 years though. He got the male blockage. I was about 12 or 13 then. We also tried to save kittens we found but we always lost them. I think they were just to young.
We screened the people that wanted the kittens also but some people lie just to get them. Patches was another feral I saved but she died young also. It was Kidney disease again. One day my sister went to get the lawn mower for my dad and there was what was left of a dead kitten in it. She was a kid when she saw that and it stil bothers her even though its been years. I did get some good cats out of the ferals. Now I may have to save another cat again. There is a nice white male with spots in my back yard every day. I am trying to find out if he belongs to anyone. He is fixed but he still could be homeless. The good news is some of the ferals were right after my first Patches died. I have been asked if I want to foster but my husband said we do not have the room and I am afraid I will bring in some kind of sickness. I feel bad for the ones we didnt keep and have wondered if they have a god life.I am thinking of adopted a older cat because people do not adopt them. I think they should have a good life for whatever time they have left.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

In 1989 about 2 months after my Patches died we found some ferals in our yard. We tried to catch them a tiger striped kitten and a siamese looking kitten went up the telephone pole.
We caught the siamese looking one and kept her but the other fell and hit the fence. My brother said its ok and it was dead the next min. We did catch about 8 kittens kept two. Stripe who had borderline breast cancer at age 4 that she beat but I lost at age 11 to Crf and Whitie who died at age 15. Then after that we caught more ferals and we kept some again. My Smokey was very small and I lost her in 2005 at age 11. Simba my sister kept and she lost him at age 9. We found I think 7 that time. Smokey had half a ear when we caught her. Someone also dumped Bogart on our porch and he was almost dead but we saved him. he only lived 3 years though. He got the male blockage. I was about 12 or 13 then. We also tried to save kittens we found but we always lost them. I think they were just to young.
We screened the people that wanted the kittens also but some people lie just to get them. Patches was another feral I saved but she died young also. It was Kidney disease again. One day my sister went to get the lawn mower for my dad and there was what was left of a dead kitten in it. She was a kid when she saw that and it stil bothers her even though its been years. I did get some good cats out of the ferals. Now I may have to save another cat again. There is a nice white male with spots in my back yard every day. I am trying to find out if he belongs to anyone. He is fixed but he still could be homeless. The good news is some of the ferals were right after my first Patches died. I have been asked if I want to foster but my husband said we do not have the room and I am afraid I will bring in some kind of sickness. I feel bad for the ones we didnt keep and have wondered if they have a god life.I am thinking of adopted a older cat because people do not adopt them. I think they should have a good life for whatever time they have left.
Oh your poor sister. That is horrible.
You should adopt a mature kitty. We have some loves at the shelter that just need a home so badly. They are so depressed and they would never be a fuss because they are so grateful for a bit of love and warmth. Go for it!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

more sad - we took in a cat in jan this year who was painfully thin, and we couldnt work out for the first few days if she was pregnant or just wormy. 2 weeks and a day after coming into our care, she went into labour, but had complications - 2 babies were deformed, she had one live one but seemed to be having issues, so at 6.30 on a Sun night, we had to go to the emergency vet with her - we honestly didn't think she would have anymore live babies after the 2 dead, the vet opened her up and she had one more live baby, so only 2 out of the 5 survived - with how thin she was, i am not surprised, and sadly she only had 2 weeks of being built up before she had them. The babies were gorgeous, but always small for their age, so we held onto them longer than normal. I am grateful that she went into labour in the afternoon, or it could have been a much sadder outcome - all went to fab homes though, which is the heartwarming part.

The year before we took in a pregnant mum who was doing fine till she gave birth, then went downhill and we ended up losing her and all her kittens, that wasn't pleasant.

Heartwarming - I was taking pics for the last rescue I fostered for, and there was this big black and white boy who was so scared he weed himself just for me taking his pic - a few days later, I lost my foster cat so offered to give him a home environment - the rescues intention was to give him shelter over the winter (this was Nov) and then find a farm placement, as they didn't feel he would like living in a house. He was so very nervous, but apart from pooing in his carrier when coming to mine, he never had another accident, he was with me for 5 months, and while I couldnt touch him very well, he really liked his home comforts, but bullied my two cats. He found a wonderful home where he can be the boss, and he is a lovely cat now, I went to see him last Nov, which was 3 years after him coming to me, and he sat on my knee for part of the time I Was there, i was so glad i offered to give him a chance, he got the life he deserved.

Then there are the oldies, quite a few of those have come here due to their owners wanting them pts, we probably take on more than we would if I wasnt part of the group, as they are the ones that pull on my heartstrings!!
Thanks for sharing the warm and the sad.

Keep them coming folks. Please.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll contribute from a more general perspective. I could bog you down with stories of individual rescues.

The bad for those of us that are suckers to any homeless animal: I just don't get it that someone can adopt an animal, then abandon them either by dumping them on the street or taking them to a high kill shelter with no thought about the fact that they will most likely die. It's almost like throwing out the trash. Animals are not disposable artifacts. It hardens your opinion of people when you have to deal with it on a daily basis and makes you a somewhat judgemental person.

The good: That there are people in rescue that will go so far as to give up so many things in their life to protect animals. I know rescue people who will take side jobs to pay a vet bill, or who will give up eating the foods they like for less costly meals to pay for their care. The sacrifices that people make on behalf of animals makes me proud to be a human being.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the one I hinted at earlier, it is looking more promising.

A month ago, we helped someone out with an unneutered stray, and the week after I got a phone call from them asking for help with a mum cat from teh same area, she had been left in a house with just one meal a day, she had lost 2 kittens, and the remaining 3 were 2 weeks old - what I didn't get told till last week was that not only did she only get one meal a day, but she didn't have a litter tray either. We treated it as urgent, and wnet the next day (it was 9pm when we got the call, or she wouldnt have waited).

I had forgotten to ask teh cats age, and she turned out to be a 10yo, who had been with one owner since being a kitten, and this was her second litter. She was very stressed, didn't want to eat, and just laid in a corner of the cage for 2 days, snapping at the fosterer. I went to see her 3 days after coming into our care, and she was completely different with me. The day after, she was trampling on her babies, no concept of them crying, and we were already supplementing as she didn't appear to have a lot of milk, so we were going to split them up when she went crazy - I spent 3 hours at our fosterers house waiting for her to calm down enough for us to put her in a carrier to move her to mine, not my usual idea of a Sun morning!! She was very temperamental, and would attack for no reason at all, but we needed to build her up before being spayed - she was spayed this Tues just gone, fortunately everything went well, apart from the fact she has clipper rash and now has to wear a collar for 4 days - she will be wearing it constantly, she scratched and tried to bite while fastening it!! I am hoping her aggression issues calm down, as otherwise rehoming is going to be hard, yet she needs an only cat household. I have homed cats older than her though, so not discounting her for her age.

I fully agree Momofmany, and also those people who help support us, I have homed cats to lovely people who have gone on to give us support and that is really heartwarming. I also can't believe people who dump cats when they get in their teenage years, or those who want the vet to pts for no good reason - I am glad my vet knows I take on oldies, as she has a backup for some of the ones that come into her, although I hate it when I am full. The other downside is people who get snotty with us for saying we are full, I have had one this week, and I genuinely dont have any more space - I have cats in every single room of the house, and I have never had to resort to using my ktichen before, in 4 years of fostering, and rarely use the cage in teh front room either, but I have two females who can't be around other cats, so causing some logistical issues at the moment!!