TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Eww Diarrhea
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eww Diarrhea

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
So I went into the laundry room this afternoon to put some clothes from the washer into the dryer. The laundry room is where I keep the litterbox. As soon as I turned on the light I could see that my kitty had gone outside of the litter box and got a little bit on the ledge below the door of it as well. She doesn't have litterbox problems and has always been good about it, so she must have been in a hurry and had an accident. After this, I walked into my bedroom and then into my bathroom to find out that there is a puddle of diarrhea on my bathroom rug in front of the tub! EWWWWW...The rug is getting washed in the washing machine right now. Thank goodness I didn't have any other clothes in there waiting on the dryer to finish. The only thing that I can think of that might have caused this was that I gave her a tiny piece of roasted chicken breast that I was having for dinner last night. Hopefully it wasn't my fault!
post #2 of 16
Thread Starter 
My cat had another accident this morning except that it was on the comforter on my bed. Is there anything that I can feed her that will help with her stools? This was diarrhea as well as what I found yesterday on the bathroom rug.
post #3 of 16
With tummy problems like that my vet usually tells you to starve of any food for 24 hours to let their tummy settle, but leave water out though. If it's been like that for 2 days i would be taking them to see the vet, because Sophie had to have a probiotic paste twice a day orally, along with an antibiotic shot when she had a tummy upset when she was a kitten.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
I made her an appointment for 3pm this afternoon. I'll let you guys know what happens. Hopefully she won't have anymore accidents until then.
post #5 of 16
I'd also recommend the vet. Unless you have changed her food recently, I would wonder why she suddenly has diarrhea.

I'll be looking to see what your vet says - good luck this pm.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
The only thing I can think of that I fed her differently was that I gave her a small piece of chicken breast from my dinner on Wednesday night. I'm not sure if that would cause diarrhea though.
post #7 of 16
What food do you use? There is a new pet fiood recall because of samonella
post #8 of 16
I would think that if the chicken breast was infected with salmonella, it would affect you, too. However, was it spicy? That can cause trouble, sometimes. But there are so many possibilities: Something in the food, something ingested around the house, parasites, etc.
post #9 of 16
Plain meat is not going to cause the diarrhea. It happens. Cats and ewwws are natural!
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
I've been feeding her nutro dry food and then the nutro max cat pouches. I didn't knwo there was a recall!
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzles View Post
I've been feeding her nutro dry food and then the nutro max cat pouches. I didn't knwo there was a recall!
neither of those was in the recall or in the plant from the recall .... are either new foods ??
when you go to the vet see if you can get a stool sample
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
neither of those was in the recall or in the plant from the recall .... are either new foods ??
when you go to the vet see if you can get a stool sample
I've been feeding her nutro for about a year and a half now, so it's no where near a new food for her lol.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
I took Zelda to the vet yesterday. The vet actually gave me some medicine, which I picked up a little while ago today. I gave the vet a stool sample yesterday afternoon so I guess she did find something in it to have given me a prescription. I haven't talked to her since I dropped it off yet, so I'm not sure. She usually follows up after a few days to see how the animal is doing so I can find out then what she found. She told me to go ahead and take her off food for 24 hours and so she won't be eating until about 5 or 6 tonight. I can tell she's getting cranky about not eating though LOL. Everytime I walk by the laundry room, where I feed her, she runs in there really quickly and she gives me this look like, "aren't you going to feed me?"

The medicine she gave me is Metronidazole. I'm supposed to give my kitty 1 mL twice a day for a week. According to wikipedia it's basically the same thing as Flagyl, which has given me problems in the past when I've taken it. Hopefully my cat won't have problems on it. The reason why it took me a day to get it was because they made it fish flavored at a pharmacy for me so it will be easier for me to give to Zelda.

When I put her back on food should I just be feeding her wet food for a few days before I reintroduce dry food? That's probably something I should've asked the vet, but I forgot to while I was there.

If the diarrhea doesn't go away by Sunday I have to take her back in and she said she would probably do some other tests on her if she still has it.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzles View Post
I took Zelda to the vet yesterday. The vet actually gave me some medicine, which I picked up a little while ago today. I gave the vet a stool sample yesterday afternoon so I guess she did find something in it to have given me a prescription. I haven't talked to her since I dropped it off yet, so I'm not sure. She usually follows up after a few days to see how the animal is doing so I can find out then what she found. She told me to go ahead and take her off food for 24 hours and so she won't be eating until about 5 or 6 tonight. I can tell she's getting cranky about not eating though LOL. Everytime I walk by the laundry room, where I feed her, she runs in there really quickly and she gives me this look like, "aren't you going to feed me?"

The medicine she gave me is Metronidazole. I'm supposed to give my kitty 1 mL twice a day for a week. According to wikipedia it's basically the same thing as Flagyl, which has given me problems in the past when I've taken it. Hopefully my cat won't have problems on it. The reason why it took me a day to get it was because they made it fish flavored at a pharmacy for me so it will be easier for me to give to Zelda.

When I put her back on food should I just be feeding her wet food for a few days before I reintroduce dry food? That's probably something I should've asked the vet, but I forgot to while I was there.

If the diarrhea doesn't go away by Sunday I have to take her back in and she said she would probably do some other tests on her if she still has it.
flagyl is often used as a anti dirreal ( I keep enough on hand to dose two animals fully)
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
I gave her the first dose a few minutes ago and she's foaming at the mouth like she did with benadryl before. Now she hates me. I don't understand why she always starts uncontrollably drooling.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzles View Post
I gave her the first dose a few minutes ago and she's foaming at the mouth like she did with benadryl before. Now she hates me. I don't understand why she always starts uncontrollably drooling.
It tastes NASTY
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Eww Diarrhea