New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Type of cat?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I jsut picked up this stray cat a few weeks ago (during Hurricane Gustav, see: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...89#post2416789 for more details). I have no idea what type of cat he is. He is Brown and White with darkish brown stripes. I have some pictures, which aren't the best, but any help is appreciated!


When we picked him up


Dried off the day we picked Gus up.


Walkin' around


Mountain climbing


Me and the kitty


Week after we picked him up. He was tired and curled up in his little corner




Just this week. Not a great pic since I took this picture with my phone and he doesn't like to stay still.


He likes to sleep on my shoulder
post #2 of 21
He is a lovely ginger (red) tabby and white, one of my favourite colours
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks!! How old do you figure he is by his size?

He weighs just about 13-14oz
post #4 of 21
OMG....he is just precious
post #5 of 21
Oh my stars, not very old at all. His eyes while open are not well formed yet. I'm not that familar with babies, but maybe.... three weeks? How are you feeding him? With a bottle? KMR? Goat's milk? He's too little for solid food. Or maybe a slurry of kitten wet and kitten milk... but still.. he's very small.

And yes, he's an orange (red) tabby and white domestic shorthair.
post #6 of 21
What a sweetheart! He is so cute!

My guess would also be a ginger-tabby, and a very young ginger-tabby at that!
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUguscat View Post
Thanks!! How old do you figure he is by his size?

He weighs just about 13-14oz

He's a red and white tabby, domestic short hair. And really really cute!! Based on his appearance and weight, probably 3-4 weeks. You can usually figure, give or take, 1lb for every month old they are as a kitten. Good one for saving this little guy from the hurricane! You'll find lots of knowledgeable people here to help you with all the questions that might come up raising an orphaned kitten - litter training, weaning, etc. Welcome to TCS!
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
Oh my stars, not very old at all. His eyes while open are not well formed yet. I'm not that familar with babies, but maybe.... three weeks? How are you feeding him? With a bottle? KMR? Goat's milk? He's too little for solid food. Or maybe a slurry of kitten wet and kitten milk... but still.. he's very small.

And yes, he's an orange (red) tabby and white domestic shorthair.
I'll have to get some better pictures, but I wouldn't expect much older than 4 weeks old from my VERY VERY limited knowledge. The Vet said he was about 2 weeks when Gustav hit. He is running around a bit and very playful now. He has his front teeth but no back teeth.

We are feeding him KMR with a PetAg bottle with a large nipple (for some reason he doesn't like the smaller ones). From what another site (http://www.kitten-rescue.com/kitten_..._schedule.html) said, I am feeding him roughly ever 5 hours (I am in college so I try to feed him as often as I can) and I feed him about 16-20cc's of formula or some wet cat food with about 10cc's of formula for his liquid.
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUguscat View Post
I'll have to get some better pictures, but I wouldn't expect much older than 4 weeks old from my VERY VERY limited knowledge. The Vet said he was about 2 weeks when Gustav hit. He is running around a bit and very playful now. He has his front teeth but no back teeth.

We are feeding him KMR with a PetAg bottle with a large nipple (for some reason he doesn't like the smaller ones). From what another site (http://www.kitten-rescue.com/kitten_..._schedule.html) said, I am feeding him roughly ever 5 hours (I am in college so I try to feed him as often as I can) and I feed him about 16-20cc's of formula or some wet cat food with about 10cc's of formula for his liquid.
That site is another TCS members site Hissy.... very VERY knowledgable member. sounds like you're doing a great job so far but I suggest you shoot a pm and ask for some extra tips for this baby...
post #10 of 21
FYI remember that as young as he is he needs warmth! I kept my bathroom where I had my kittens at that age at 85 degrees. So he might have balled up like that because he was cold.

but holy crap what a cute kitten that is!
post #11 of 21
Oh good gried look at that little cupcake!! Bless your hearts for rescuing this poor baby

You've posted in the kitten section, so keep looking in because you'll get excellent help and advice in there Love the pictures of him curled up in his box and on your shoulder, he's so tiny!!! Like Fasnoc said though keep him warm, because that's probably why he loves your shoulder as it'll be nice and warm for him
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin View Post
That site is another TCS members site Hissy.... very VERY knowledgable member. sounds like you're doing a great job so far but I suggest you shoot a pm and ask for some extra tips for this baby...
Hahah go figure! I'll shoot him/her a PM and see what they have to say as far as tips go. Is their username "Hissy"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
Oh good gried look at that little cupcake!! Bless your hearts for rescuing this poor baby

You've posted in the kitten section, so keep looking in because you'll get excellent help and advice in there Love the pictures of him curled up in his box and on your shoulder, he's so tiny!!! Like Fasnoc said though keep him warm, because that's probably why he loves your shoulder as it'll be nice and warm for him
I know it isn't recommended, but I have a heating pad that my girlfriend is letting me use to put in his bed. I keep it on low and wrap it in a towel so he can't get directly on it. I also leave more towels in there so that if he gets too warm he can get on top of those and get away from the heat. Sometimes when the heating pad is on he will just sprawl out and take up half of his box with his tiny body
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 

Girlfriend feeding him and my roommates girlfriend (pictured) holding him. She actually just joined the site here and has a grey cat named Dexter that is (if i'm not mistaken) 6 months old.

Better picture of him. I have more on a camera, just gotta find the cord. This was yesterday after I posted and was feeding him. As you can see, his ears are standing up and his eyes are much better shaped
post #14 of 21
Word of advice - don't feed him like you would a human baby -- on his back... feed him like he would nurse off of his mama - on his belly... better for him.
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
Word of advice - don't feed him like you would a human baby -- on his back... feed him like he would nurse off of his mama - on his belly... better for him.
We've been trying to for a while. For some reason he has never like to eat that way :shrug: I'll try more from here on out, though.
post #16 of 21
I'm a sucker for little red tabby and white boys He's a very cute Red Mackeral Tabby/White kitten. No specific breed - just domestic shorthair, but a flashy little boy
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUguscat View Post
Is their username "Hissy"?
username: hissy

Thank you for caring about this adorable kitten.
Sending thrive vibes.
post #18 of 21
man I can't believe he likes that gigantic nipple. hehe. Mine liked only the normal sized one. not the skinny one, it was about 3/4 an inch long and not big at all.

I know the one you're using and I remember thjinking 'Nothing this tiny would ever use something that big'

So much for that!

The reason you want to get them to lay on their stomach is because kittens feeding from their back can aspirate into their lungs and that will kill it. But looks to me in that picture it's ok. straigh up isn't the best, but they feed like that on mom too.
post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnoc View Post
man I can't believe he likes that gigantic nipple. hehe. Mine liked only the normal sized one. not the skinny one, it was about 3/4 an inch long and not big at all.

I know the one you're using and I remember thjinking 'Nothing this tiny would ever use something that big'

So much for that!

The reason you want to get them to lay on their stomach is because kittens feeding from their back can aspirate into their lungs and that will kill it. But looks to me in that picture it's ok. straigh up isn't the best, but they feed like that on mom too.
Haha yeah, we were surprised when he liked that nipple, too

Usually I try to only let him drink 5-8cc's at a time and then put him down for a second to get his breath and then let him drink again. If I let him, he could probably knock down the 16-18cc's of formula in 30 seconds or less If I don't put him down I'm sure he wouldn't even breathe he drink the milk so fast!
post #20 of 21
actually i remember when I was feeding them I'd fill the bottle just a little over half way (don't remember the cc count) and I'd just let them suck until they were done. They'd pause when they needed air and then start again. this was after a couple weeks, so 3 to 4 weeks old.

Don't know if that's bad or not. They'd sit on my shoulder afterwards and burp
post #21 of 21
your kitten is adorable so cute especially on the pic where he was crawling across the keyboard.



caitlin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fur Pictures and Videos Only!