He's Eating Carpet Fibers

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Midnight Sun will eat some food out of the bowl and then go into the living room and eat carpet fibers. My kitties eat Blue Spa Select wet and dry. Does anyone know why he has an appetite for carpet?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
some carpets contain animal by products simliar to plastic bags ... or maybe kitty needed a touch of fiber

I would advise against letting kitty eat carpet as it contains multiple chemicals such as formaldehyde

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cat could be looking for extra fiber or plant material in his diet. Try getting some cat grass for him. And you might try a food with higher fiber content, or fiber-containing cat treats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go buy a big bottle of Bitter Apple spray and spray it around in the area he's "eating". But you also might want to have a vet do a check up and blood work. Many times cats will have something lacking in their system and eat non edible things - its called "pica".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the best high fiber food that isn't too high in carbs? He's eating what I thought is one of the best foods available. The other two kitties aren't doing this. I googled "pica" and it is more common in Meezer and Meezer mixes. Midnight Sun is a Meezer mix. Is Bitter Apple non toxic to cats?

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats don't eat carpet, but they'll try to eat anything on the carpet, such as bits of paper or pieces of dust. Which reminds me, I need to vacuum more frequently.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
bitter apple is fine for cats...

will kitty eat some pumpkin??

IMHO your on a very grainy high carb food

which formula are you using >>>?? the adult and indoor have " normal fiber levels" the wt control is high but also is nearly 40% carbs ... the sensitive is very low in fiber yet high in carbs

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

bitter apple is fine for cats...

will kitty eat some pumpkin??

IMHO your on a very grainy high carb food
What do you recommend for high fiber, nutrient rich and lower carb food? It's hard to get him to eat wet food but I'll try the pumpkin. The Bitter Apple that comes in a spray is for dogs. Do you know if it has different ingredients than the cat formula? I checked online and the cat formula doesn't come in a spray. I'll need to spray all the carpeting.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
same ingrediants in the bitter apple the applicator is sometimes different and for an unknown reason the cat bottles are tiny

let me work on that for the food

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

same ingrediants in the bitter apple the applicator is sometimes different and for an unknown reason the cat bottles are tiny

let me work on that for the food
Thank you, Sharky!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco does that also. She will eat the carpet on the scratching post so we have to cut it off.
Her problem was Pica from Anemia before.
I would get a blood test and see if anything is wrong.
My Cats all eat blue spa except Coco because of her bladder problems.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Coco does that also. She will eat the carpet on the scratching post so we have to cut it off.
Her problem was Pica from Anemia before.
I would get a blood test and see if anything is wrong.
My Cats all eat blue spa except Coco because of her bladder problems.
What does Coco eat now?