*****KatKwery - Sep 18 - 139,100 free points!*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only had two winners for a change. I would still like to see a shutout and have 1400 point questions the next day but I do not control that.

Marianjela almost has a lock now on having the highest seed throughout the three rounds of playoffs. If you have not read the rules, we are getting close, so just click on KatKwery Information here in my siggy. Having the highest seed is nice but certainly not a lock on winning the 2008 KatKwery championship. I will be sending a pm out soon to all that will be in the playoffs and those that are in contention for moving into the top eight.

Back to marianjela who padded her lead by using the secret word never. CatKiki moved up a position by using best. The secret words where, want, and laugh were not used.

Today's KatKwiz pointed out Previous Expert Forums.

Have you ever visited the Previous Expert Forums? Is it possible when you saw that it was closed you stayed away? Do you (now) realize the wealth of information that is here for future reference? The question you knew was coming; do you plan on visiting this area of TCS in the future? Which of the previous expert forums do you think is the most informative for you?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have in fact visited the Previous Expert Forums before. I have even been to the forums while they were active, before they were closed. When Dr. Jean Hofve was here for the "Holistic Feline Health and Nutrition" forum, I asked her about some natural remedies for my dog and his arthritis. I know it wasnt exactly cat related, but she didnt mind one bit! I guess animal lovers are animal lovers, huh?

The "Feline Genetics" forum was held before my time, but I very much enjoyed going through the posts and reading what an expert had to say on the subject. I am a real genetics buff. I love to play with the virtual possibilities, and find myself guessing what kind of kittens my fosters will have, or find myself trying to figure out what kinda of father the kittens based on what the litter produced.

Also, being a foster mom to pregnant cats and their kittens, I have read through the "Bottle Babies" forum. There definitely is a lot of useful information tucked away on this site!

I admit that I dont always go into the closed threads, but sometimes, just like our cats, curiosity will get the best of me! I am drawn to them like a moth to the flame and can never stay away. Just like the "Caption This" sub-forum, of the pictures, I love to go in there sometimes and browse through the photos and read the captions. They are funny and always good for a laugh. Even my kids have been known to walk by, see the pictures on this site and share in the laughter.

Of course I realize the plethora of information available here on TCS. That is what drew me to this site to begin with over three years ago. I came in search of information and knowledge for my newly adopted pregnant cat, Willow. Thanks to the KatKwiz and KatKwery, I have gotten better at looking around in the nooks and crannies in search of hidden jewels! There is a sticky in the Pregnant Cat and Kittens forum that I originally thought should be placed in the Experts forum, but it is actually a radio/recorded show hosted by Skype. Very informational. And it's all audio! No reading involved

I definitely think I will go back to this forum over and over. I imagine new guests will be invited to speak, and as they are I will visit the closed threads/forums to see if there was anything I missed, as I have time.

Which of the forums was the most helpful to me? Oh, that's a tough one. Well, the "Sharing Golden Moments" forum doesnt really pertain to me at the moment since my RB Mufasa has since passed away, none of my cats are over the age that she quoted as being senior in cats. The current topic, "Multi-Cat Households" certainly pertains to me and I have been browsing the threads and reading the replies as they are being posted.

I also find myself drawn to the "Litter Box Advice with Marilyn Krieger", I remember when she was here and I am always looking for great advice on keeping litter box odors to a minimum.

I guess it's hard to pick just one. They all play an important part in the cat's health and happiness. I am grateful that Anne works so hard to bring these visitors to us giving us the opportunity to share in their knowledge.

Anyway, thanks for the points again Lee! KatKwery ROCKS! And I've already been looking into a way to Pay-it-Forward and share the wealth. Hopefully you guys will see what I'm talking about soon.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Well it looks like I need to either expand my vocabulary or increase the length of my posts, or both.

To answer the first question, yes, I have visited the previous Expert Forums. When I first joined TCS I went through most of the forums (fora? forae?) just to see what they were. I found the closed forum on litterbox advice. It did have some very useful information, but I have to say I was disappointed that it was closed. In any case, I was able to go to the regular health and behavior forums to get more suggestions related to my concerns.

Second question: covered above. Obviously I did not stay away from the closed forums.

Third question: I hadn't really thought about it, but will do so now.
Yep, I realize how much is available. I've been so busy getting ideas from the current posts that I haven't taken the time to look at previous ones.

Fourth question: Well, of course! I wouldn't dare show my face in KatKwery again if I declined your gracious invitation.

Fifth and final question: The most useful for me at this moment in time is the Litterbox forum, which I've already read. I got some excellent responses in other forums where I asked specific questions about the topics I hadn't realized were covered in the Expert Forums.

So, did I use enough different words? Actually, I don't suppose it's the number of words we use that matters. They have to be the "right" words. Where's my ESP when I need it?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Have you ever visited the Previous Expert Forums? Is it possible when you saw that it was closed you stayed away? Do you (now) realize the wealth of information that is here for future reference? The question you knew was coming; do you plan on visiting this area of TCS in the future? Which of the previous expert forums do you think is the most informative for you?
i've read some of the threads/posts in previous expert forums - especially after doing a search for something in particular. the fact that one might be closed wouldn't stop me from reading if i thought a question i had would be answered by doing so. i already knew tons of info was available there. i'd visit it in the future, especially if there was an expert forum that would solve a problem i was having. i really couldn't make a determination which expert forum would be the most informative or useful - it would really depend on the situation i was seeking assistance/help for!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know that even if a forum is closed, there is a lot of information to be had there. I know where to look if I need such information. I will be visiting the expert forum in the near future, probably this weekend. I haven't really checked out the forums out much, so I haven't a favorite or one that was the most informative.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We only had two winners for a change. I would still like to see a shutout and have 1400 point questions the next day but I do not control that.

Marianjela almost has a lock now on having the highest seed throughout the three rounds of playoffs. If you have not read the rules, we are getting close, so just click on KatKwery Information here in my siggy. Having the highest seed is nice but certainly not a lock on winning the 2008 KatKwery championship. I will be sending a pm out soon to all that will be in the playoffs and those that are in contention for moving into the top eight.

Back to marianjela who padded her lead by using the secret word never. CatKiki moved up a position by using best. The secret words where, want, and laugh were not used.

Well, if I keep going at my rate, you may yet get your shut out!
But I'm glad people are winning.

I know I've looked at the Previous Expert Forums. Not sure how much, though. A lot of the info I look up, I do via search, and then never notice where it is!
So I've probably read quite a bit in them, and just didn't know it.

And no, I don't think them being clossed stopped me. I'm just nosey like that!
Besides, like I said, as long as the search engine still picks them up, them being closed is irrelevant!

Like many others have said, of course I knew TCS had so much info! It's what brought me here, too. I never joined any other sites, because they're kind of scary and certainly not worth it. But between the community and the knowledge here, I couldn't stay away.

And yes, undoubtedly, I will visit those forums again. Trusty old search engine!
And, I like to skim over all the forums now and again just randomly, see what there is to see, and I hit those, too. A refresher is always good!

Not a clue which is most informative to me! To be honest, I haven't had many issues that need dealing with, and that type of thing would be the most informative, in my opinion. With all the fosters I am hoping to work with, though, I do think I will run in to some issues. So which ever issue I have to deal with is the one that will be the most informative!