Question of the Day - September 18th!!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I'm celebrating our first full day (hopefully!) with power, since Hurricane Ike blew through Indiana on Sunday. So the question for today is:

What's the longest you've been without electricity, and for what reason?

Our power went out Sunday afternoon, and was out for 54 hours. It came back Tuesday evening, only to go out again yesterday morning and to be on and off all day.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At my house, I think the lnogest I've lost power has only been a couple hours

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

At my house, I think the lnogest I've lost power has only been a couple hours
I'm probably the same, don't really remember. We don't lose power often! Rumor around my block says that we actually get our power from 3 different sources, so all three have to go out for us to really be out. Now, I don't have a clue how the power works or if that's true or not, but that's the rumor!

I think the longest we lost power was due to a storm. A REAL storm!! I think the only one we've had in my entire life time here!
Even for the Loma Prieta earthquake we didn't lose power.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I lived through two blackouts in NY - the big one was for a day, I think. I was pretty young.

Here we have had rolling brownouts when it was so hot and the air conditioners were running all the time.

The worst for us was when our heater died and we were without heat for 2 1/2 days. That was last year on the day that was the coldest so far in the year. We had to buy a couple of heaters.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In 2004, when hurricane Ivan hit, I packed me and the cats and left town. When we returned, we had no power. They kept saying it would be turned back on in a day, but it was 2 weeks before we had power. Thank God we had one of those flashlight/Tv/radio lanterns. We used so many batteries.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From a few mins to a few hours. Luckily I've never lived in a place where you have to contend with extreme weather (like hurricanes/tornados). We've been lucky on the tornados - they've been thru but no real damage regarding power outages. Most of the power lines are in the cables underground - not where the storms can tear them down.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ICE STORM 1998

a total of 28 days without power in Rural Ontario

I didn't mind hauling firewood for heat but hauling in water in order to flush the toilet and taking sponge baths was not my cup of tea. I can't remember how much show we melted before the road was cleared of downed trees so we could get into town for water. I was so glad when my grandparents got power back, we got to take a shower.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're very fortunate here in that even when there are power outages in the general area, in our neighbourhood we are seldom hit for more than 2-3 hours, usually a lot less, and it's not that often. The wind storms in December 2006, that did such damage to Stanley Park, were an exception, but even then our power was only out a couple of times and for less than a day.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 4 years ago we had a wind shear pass through and one of my neighbor's large oak trees fell into the road taking the powerline. I think we were without power for maybe twelve hours.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Longest I have been without electricity is 3-4 hours. That was during the winter one year, can't remember which one though...

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the longest time I can remember is about 36 hours and that was the year the power grid for Central Ontario, Quebec and part of the northeastern states went down after becoming overloaded..I was in the middle of summer and hot hot hot..that's what I remember most.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wed lost power .. hmm maybe for 3 hours one night when i was about 8 the kids of the neighborhood thought it was great though!!!

Some random power cut.. we dont have no storms or anything where i live apparently there was one bad one that took roofs of and stuff in 1992 when i was a baby but not any i can remember , no flooding either come to think of it.
Jess x

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When hurricane Charlie came through Florida, we didn't have power at our house for 2 1/2 weeks. We packed up all of our babies and had to stay in a cramped little apartment. Boy, we sure were glad to get back home

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The longest I've ever been without power was a couple of hours. My parents, who live two blocks away, lost power for 10 days in February 2006, when it was -15 F! Then, 5 months later, they lost power for another week, because of a huge electrical storm. My computer was fried during that same storm, but I only lost power for a minute or two.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

:

What's the longest you've been without electricity, and for what reason?

Our power went out Sunday afternoon, and was out for 54 hours. It came back Tuesday evening, only to go out again yesterday morning and to be on and off all day.
less then 2 days that time,

Well if camping counts, 4 weeks in the hills.
(and yes i reallyi needed a bath when we came back down)

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
great question Brit!...

During the 2001 year the Hurricane Isidore hit the peninsula of yucatan...
the damages on my city was so serious...
and I was without electricity during almost a Month...