What did you want to be when you we a kid?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was working with a group of adolecents last night at my internship. One of the examples I used with them had to do with how kids dream about the career they want when they are adults. So it got me thinking, what did everyone here want to be when they grew up, are you in that career & if not why?

I wanted to be a vet. I am not a vet. I'm an engineering tech, & at the beginning of my career of counseling. I decided not to be a vet when I realized that it requires the ability to emotionally separate from the animals. I could never look at a young healthy animal & put it down because the owner just didn't want it anymore. Heck I'm not sure I could put down an old sick animal. Not to mention the responsibility of putting an animal under for surgery. Yeah, I'm just not cut out to be a vet.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was a little girl I wanted to be an astronaut. Then my dad told me it would cost too much money. Ruined that dream!

However I am very happy with my career choice now.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wanted to be a teacher
up until about my junior year of high school when I realized teachers don't make much money
Then I wanted to be an environmental engineer, but I hate math
so then I decided on being a psychologist
but a year into college I realized that I did NOT want to go to school for 10 years

So I'm now clerical support for a sales office

I am going to school to eventually get my master's in psychology though, and I hope to one day be a school psychologist, a combo of my original dream and my last one

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always wanted to be a pediatric nurse! A part of me still does. But, like you wanting to be a vet, I don't have the heart for it. Nor do I want to go to that much school!

When I started on the path to be a nurse (we're talking not even in nursing school, WAY before that!), my grandma had heartfailure and my mom got breast cancer. I was their caregiver- my mom's primary, my grandma's secondary. That was too personal at the same time as the classes and totally turned me off from it.

Now I'm a property manager, but as I'm still not grown up yet
I still have hopes for ending up somewhere else!
I expect to be here two or three more years, then I want to do something with animals, though not sure what yet. Not a vet, because I couldn't handle that, either!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The manager of Pizza Hut

Still haven't fully grown up--but I currently work with at risk teens.

Leslie

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I wanted to be either a ballerina, an airline stewardess (yes, they were still called that back in the dark ages), or a nurse. Never had the opportunity to take dance lessons and the stewardess thing didn't last long. I've been a nurse for many years. Really enjoyed it to begin with, but eventually started burning out. Now I'm nursing part-time, which helps with the burnout and allows me to fill the rest of my life with music and photography----and, oh yes, KITTENS

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to be a lawyer, you know those white wigs they wear in courts in the UK - I wanted to wear that. I realised that it wasn't for me after a 2 week work experience through school, working for a law firm in Central London. Then when I started my second work experience I realised how much I loved politics, despite fighting it as a child (my dad was very political) so went to school to study political science and am working in politics now.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to be a vet or zookeeper
But I'm terrified of needles. Could do all the rest, but not the needle part. So I never pursued it.

Also wanted to be an airline stewardess till I found out there was a height MINIMUM! And I was not tall enough - I think that's discrimination! I'd make a good one - but I'm only 5.1.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, at first I wanted to be a ballerina. Then I read a book on Madame Curie and I wanted to be a chemist. I hit puberty and a ballerina was definitely out

I got to college, took inorganic and then organic chemistry. I was lousy at it. I have a BA in psychology but my senior year I took computer science pass fail. Worst decision to take it P/F because I was getting an A+. Best decision career wise as I went on to get my MBA in Management Info Systems. I spent my entire career in computer development, support and consulting and never loved anything more.

Semi-retired now after working for that start-up that went public.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was younger, I wanted to be the first lady President when I "growed" up!

Then later I decided I wanted to be a veterinarian, and my father wanted to own his own pet and plant store and I was going to take care of his animals.

7th grade biology and a rude crude lab partner ruined that dream for me.

Then sometime in Junior High, I took a career placement test and it said I should be an engineer. So I set my sights on Architecture.

I got my degree in Architectural Design, but most of the jobs around here were mechanical in nature. So my last employers paid for schooling, but the classes had to be related to the company. So I started to major in mathematics, which applies to engineering, but could be used for teaching, which is what I decided I want to be next when I grow up.... A teacher, so I can have my summers off with the kids

I've also often thought I should have been a pediatric nurse, or perhaps a obstetrician, or NICU doctor... Ahhh... if time would only stand still for a moment.

My son has the best dream. He used to want to be Barney when he grows up, but now he wants to be Spiderman!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always knew I wanted to be in the medical field, but exactly what changed practically weekly! I wanted to be an opthalmologist, a nurse, a physical therapist, a surgeon. After highschool, I got my degree in Surgical Technology, then took classes to be come a Surgical Assistant, then later, went back to school for my BSN. I've worked in the O.R. for 25 years now, and I absolutely love my job.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well first I wanted to be a cop. Then as I got older, I realized how much of a rebel I was and I decided that I wouldn't be a very good law enforcer if i couldn't abide by simple guidelines at school. Then after that, my love of music started to grow and I wanted to be a musician. To this day I still play a lot of music, but I don't think I will make it my career. It will be more of a hobby than anything I think. Then when I was sixteen, I acquired my love for cats and knew right then that whatever I became, I wanted it to involve cats. So I decided to be a vet, and if that doesn't work, I'll probably be a feline zoologist.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing I remember wanting to be was a ballerina. Mom signed me up for dance classes after they could afford and we quickly realized I just didn't have the talent...at all! (I did pretty well in tap and jazz though!
) Then I wanted to be an actress, but no real talent in that area either although I still love doing community theater and the whole theater scene. At one poine in grade school, I wanted to be a nun (I went to Catholic schools) but that phase didn't last long.

Finally, in college I was going for Psychology, but I soon found out that took too much time and effort, so I majored in English.

So now I'm working at a call center, not using my degree (but I can use big words to completely confuse my callers! hehe
) and still waiting to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

I DO still want to write a best seller though.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I wanted to be a grown up!

Someday, I still hope to get there.
dont waste your time grown up sucks.

anyway i wanted to be fighter pilot, however i started wearing glass my last year of college.

i am still pilot, even if idont make much money doing that, i sill love flying