Kitten with loose stools.

docray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Pounce is doing good other than his apparent digestive issues. When I got him (about a month ago) he was being fed Royal Canin Kitten 34. I switched him to Evo (wasn't even to 100% Evo yet). He has bad gas which I shrugged off as a kitten thing. His stools smell AWFUL, almost to the point of gagging at times and he doesn't seem to want to bury them (maybe they smell too bad?) This morning he had an extremely loose stool, stepped in it, or didn't quite make it into the box before some of it let loose and there was... poop... all over the bathroom, up onto the walls of the box and the walls of the bathroom.

This morning I dumped out all of his Evo cat food (and Evo/Royal Canin mix) back into the bin. Put what I had left of Royal Canin into his bowl (enough for 3-4 days).

There is a place just up the road that sells Wellness, is this a good choice? I could also go with the Royal Canin, but it's a substantially longer drive. The Wellness would be on the way home from work. (http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_w...can_index.html)

Thanks for any help everyone!

Also: Science Diet is available in that same store.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has he been to the vet?

Almost every kitten I take in has diahrea, and they also don't bury it..and it smells. We treat them for coccidea (Use Albon) and it clears up within days and is healthy from then on.

I don't think its the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

docray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101

Has he been to the vet?

Almost every kitten I take in has diahrea, and they also don't bury it..and it smells. We treat them for coccidea (Use Albon) and it clears up within days and is healthy from then on.

I don't think its the food.
He went... I'd have to check for sure, but it was a couple weeks ago.
He didn't start having the gas or anything until the Evo.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that EVO is very rich. Also is seems that you are switching foods quite a bit. You have to remain consistent even if the poop isn't... I too second the thought of maybe another visit to the vet for some more tests. But remain consistent on what you are feeding, the more switching you do the harder it is on the digestive system--and the less information you really have as far as what "normal" is.

Leslie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that Evo is pretty rich too. Ours are on Royal Canin. Too much switching too fast on dry can also cause problems with loose stools. If you are gonna switch to the Wellness instead of going back to RC, then do it slowly over a period of a week or two.

Are you also feeding canned foods. I would feed a combo of dry and canned.

docray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

My understanding is that EVO is very rich. Also is seems that you are switching foods quite a bit. You have to remain consistent even if the poop isn't... I too second the thought of maybe another visit to the vet for some more tests. But remain consistent on what you are feeding, the more switching you do the harder it is on the digestive system--and the less information you really have as far as what "normal" is.

Leslie
Switching too often? He's been eating a mix of Evo and his original Royal Canin (started 75/25 now 25/75 in favor of Evo over the course of a month). It has steadly gotten worse, at first I thought it was his digestive system adjusting... I should have cut back earlier maybe and went back to the RC.

docray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I've heard that Evo is pretty rich too. Ours are on Royal Canin. Too much switching too fast on dry can also cause problems with loose stools. If you are gonna switch to the Wellness instead of going back to RC, then do it slowly over a period of a week or two.

Are you also feeding canned foods. I would feed a combo of dry and canned.
Yes, he gets Innova canned food at night and in the morning.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would personally put him back on the Royal Canin. Maybe buy a big bag of it, so you don't have to drive as far as often.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have the vet check for giardia and cocidia ... then you may need to reswitch back to the RC for a bit and then try again

docray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Switching back to RC as we speak.

docray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've also noticed that when we play he begins to pant, sometimes extremely hard. Mouth open and you can hear him from well across the room, he'll just plop. He also gets black crusties in his nose from time to time. I told this to the vet and he didn't seem too concerned.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what you just described should be seen by a vet ( likely not the one not worried about it ) as kitty may have a URI , asthma or other breathing issue or simply a case of herpes( common and controlable in cats )