So it's 3:30 AM and I just lost my job...

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey all,
Well, here it is, 3:30 AM, and I can't sleep. I lost my job today.. I had been working as a receptionist in a law firm for five months, and things were going well, until they decided to move offices and hire on another part-time receptionist.

When we moved, one of the attorneys left the firm and the rent went up. So then they decided to hire a new girl.. And just like that, I didn't have enough to do. When I was only working 2 1/2 days a week, most of the time I had enough to keep busy, but then when they hired the new girl, we both had nothing to do a great majority of the time. This was most likely noticed and envied by the other receptionist that was up front for the company we subleased from.

So today they made a "business decision" to use the company they were subleasing from's receptionist and got rid of both her and me. They just called me into their office, said "I'm sorry, but you can leave early today and don't come in on Friday."

Just like that. No warning. They assured me it was nothing I did, it was "just a business decision", that they were just trying to make it easier on them financially and that they'd give me a good recommendation with wherever I'd go next.

I was SO proud of having gotten that job all by myself; so many people get jobs because they know someone or their parents (I'm nineteen) do it, but I'd found the listing, called, turned in my resume, did the whole interview thing, and landed it. Sigh.

I just can't believe they didn't give me even a slight heads up. One moment, it's "Hey, can I talk to you for a moment?" and three minutes later, I'm packing up my stuff.

I worry that I'll call tomorrow since I need to ask Rhonda about my paycheck, and that the other girl who they said they'd also let go, will still be working there. She got hired because she knew one of the attorneys, so.. well, I don't know.

On the bright side, I was called and offered a job over the phone before the law-firm downsized me. A man called the firm and asked if I was looking for a new job, that he'd spoken with me a few days earlier as a wrong number and really liked my courteousness, enthusiasm, and positive attitude, so I gave him a call and left a message that I was interested, after all.

I'm hoping it's legitimate, so we'll see.

In the mean time, I need to figure out how I'm going to pay my bills.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your job!!!

My hubby can 'kind of' relate, in that the job he was training for, decided yesterday that they couldn't use him after all too...

Many vibes finding a new position!!!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep your chin up. You found this job on your own and you can do it again. Make sure you get that letter of recommendation they were willing to give you.

Good luck looking for a job.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you lost your job, I've been there and it stinks!! Hopefully this new job will work out. New and better job vibes coming your way.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I'm sorry you lost that job.

Just think of it as a new oppurtunity if you can..it certainly is, and there is something better around the corner for you.No matter how cliche that sounds, its true

Hang in there.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fiery

On the bright side, I was called and offered a job over the phone before the law-firm downsized me. A man called the firm and asked if I was looking for a new job, that he'd spoken with me a few days earlier as a wrong number and really liked my courteousness, enthusiasm, and positive attitude, so I gave him a call and left a message that I was interested, after all.

I'm hoping it's legitimate, so we'll see.

In the mean time, I need to figure out how I'm going to pay my bills.
I'm so sorry to hear about your job loss.

Losing a job, no matter what the reason is difficult, especially when you had no warning about it and no job to go to afterward.

I can relate to losing a job without warning. It happened to me twice. Both times on a Friday at the end of the day being told to pack my stuff and not come back.

Keep you chin up and keep looking. Something will come up. Don't just rely on news paper ads because most of the time those jobs are taken before they even hit the news paper. The best thing to do is make a list of the law firms (large and small) in your area, do up a few dozen resumes, then take the time to do up a nice cover letter addressed to each individual law firm and then go down in person to drop them off. Ask if the person in charge of hiring is free to speak with you.

I hope something comes along quickly for you. I'm sending lots and lots of vibes.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear you lost your job under such circumstances, a bit of a warning that this might happen sure would have been nice however most companies prefer to handle lay-offs much as yours did..

Hopefully within a few days something brighter and better will come along that will make being let go from that job a god-sent...

Things don't always work out how we expect them to but generally they work out for the best...

Keep smiling...

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you lost your job. It is a terrible feeling! I truly hope you can find something soon. I think you showed great initiative getting that job on your own, and you have every right to be proud of yourself for that.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has happened to me too. In 1999, right before Christmas, I was laid off. I was lucky that they did pay me for a months severance pay.

I wasn't happy in that job since the boss, when he came in that is, usually was in a bad mood and would yell, scream and cuss at whoever was in the office. This was a bail bond agency. Since I was usually the only one in the office on a daily basis, I was the one that got yelled at the most.

Are you able to apply for unemployment?

for finding a new job fast!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you lost your job
But keep your head high, new opportunities lie ahead for you now that you have gained experience as a receptionist..

To help you with your job searching!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeDeeMay

I am so sorry you lost your job
But keep your head high, new opportunities lie ahead for you now that you have gained experience as a receptionist..

To help you with your job searching!
Now, get some sleep so you can go on some interviews.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, not only that the job is gone, but that they handled it so coldly. You deserved better than that!

Hoping this other job lead turns out to be great!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'm so sorry, not only that the job is gone, but that they handled it so coldly. You deserved better than that!

Hoping this other job lead turns out to be great!
to all of that!

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
im sorry. It really sucks to lose a job. I hope they are being honest about it and not just keeping someone because someone wanted a friend in the position.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is not unusual for a dismissal to be immediate in jobs where you have access to a computer terminal or files. In lieu of notice, the firm usually gives a little severance pay.

You weren't fired. You were laid off, or downsized, or some similar terms. In other words, it wasn't a termination "for cause," and you should be sure to make that clear when you apply for unemployment or for another job.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your words of support. I had a job interview yesterday (it's commission only, so that's not going to work) and another one set up on Wednesday. On Monday, it's back to searching! Le sigh.

I realize I wasn't "fired", but it sure as heck feels like it. -.-

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My dad was laid off after 9-1/2 years with a company that was downsizing. He went to work Friday morning and was told he had to have his desk cleared out by noon. He had half a dozen projects that he had to turn over to someone else and couldn't get it all done by noon. He ended up sitting in the visitor reception area doing the last of his reports. They wouldn't even let him go back to his desk to clear out his personal files on his computer. He figured it served them right because the files were in a sequestered section of the hard drive and nobody else could access them. That meant a relatively large part of the drive was unavailable and they were probably going to have to buy an additional drive for storage.