Microsoft Word Help

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please.

I could use some help formatting Microsoft Word so I can type up my papers for my sociology class. We have to double space between words and lines. I know how to double space between the lines but I'm not sure how to set the program up so it also double spaces between words (without having to hit the space bar twice).

Any help would be great, I'm getting frustrated with the whole process. By the way I'm using the 1997 version of word. I may upgrade when I get the rest of my financial aid money disbursed to me.

Thanks!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about this, and even opened up my own Microsoft Word and tried figuring it out.

If you use the "expand/condense" feature in the formatting fonts it expands the whole word, not just the space between words...

There's the Kerning command, but I dont know if this is really going to make it easier.

The only thing I can think of... and I think this is how I would do it if I couldnt figure anything else out, is to use the "find and replace" command.

After you have your essay typed up, go through and find all the single spaces, and replace them with double spaces.

I've never heard of double spacing between words before, but I hope you find what works for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

It's possible I may misunderstood the prof. She may have meant to double space between lines and not the words. I have class tomorrow so I'll ask for some clarification. We don't have to turn the journals in until October 15 but they need to dropped off in a digital drop box, we aren't turning in actual paper versions of our journals. I'm old school (37), I prefer paper and those plastic report covers.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I upgraded to Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007 and I like it a lot more than the fossil of a program I was using. Finished up my film journal entry about genocide.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still using 2003 at home, I can only imagine the differences of 2007.

Congrats on finishing your paper!!!

~Marian

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that she probably just meant double spaced lines. I've never heard of having 2 spaces between words. I'm thinking if you did put 2 spaces between words the computer would probably pick it up in a spell/grammar check.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm thinking if you did put 2 spaces between words the computer would probably pick it up in a spell/grammar check.
That is what was happening. A lot of green wavy lines were appearing on the screen and they were driving me nuts.
I'm inclined to agree that she may have meant the lines needed to be double spaced. I'll have clarification this afternoon when I go to class.

Originally Posted by Marianjela

I'm still using 2003 at home, I can only imagine the differences of 2007.

Congrats on finishing your paper!!!

~Marian
Thank you!

My 1997 version would occasionally freeze up during typing, I would have to wait a minute or two before I could continue which made it frustrating when I was on a roll. 2007 seems to be more user friendly and the look was so much cleaner. I'm very happy with it.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silly me. We're supposed to double space between the lines.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Silly me. We're supposed to double space between the lines.
Well that makes more sense than the words

Just don't send it in docx file after changing the paper colour - my boss was very perplexed by the 'screen' being 'purple'

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Well that makes more sense than the words

Just don't send it in docx file after changing the paper colour - my boss was very perplexed by the 'screen' being 'purple'
we upgraded [at school] to the newest Word last year. i sent a resume to a place in the docx format. they weren't perplexed at the screen being purple tho - they just couldn't open the file.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait a sec. The files are saved as .docx? I have to change the file to .doc before submitting them to the prof through the virtual drop box?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bryan, I'd play it safe and save all my documents in .rtf. My English teacher told us that if she were at work using 2003 she wouldn't be able to open a 2007 document that wasn't saved in .rtf

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Wait a sec. The files are saved as .docx? I have to change the file to .doc before submitting them to the prof through the virtual drop box?
in the save as option, you can save it as a Word 97-2004 compatible file - that saves it as a doc instead of a docx.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually save it as an .doc format because .rtf files can be so big they fill up people's inbox.

Bryan, you need to Save As and save as a .doc but you (or they) can download a compatability feature in Word 97- 2004 to open Word 2007 files.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I usually save it as an .doc format because .rtf files can be so big they fill up people's inbox.

Bryan, you need to Save As and save as a .doc but you (or they) can download a compatability feature in Word 97- 2004 to open Word 2007 files.
Thanks. I believe the professor is running the most current edition of Word. Is that 2007? I saw it when she was going over our syllabus.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks. I believe the professor is running the most current edition of Word. Is that 2007? I saw it when she was going over our syllabus.
well, the one i have on my mac says 2008... but i think it's the same thing. seems to work the same, anyway, altho the interface is different on mac than on windows...
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition, Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student Edition, and Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac.