Pilates????

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have any of you ever tried Pilates before? My gym has a class several days a week, so i'm thinking about going. Right now I do cardio/strength training 3 days a week and the rest I do Yoga. I'm thinking about picking up some pilates classes too just for fun and to strengthen my core.

Do any of you do pilates? Do you like it/hate it? Any tips???

There's a class tomorrow at 8:15am at my gym....If I can wake myself up I think i'm going to give it a try! I'll let you guys know how it goes!

juliejerks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to do pilates. I got a book at the library, and did the excersizes at home, I felt an improvement for sure. After a week or two of doing it for half an hour a day I felt a lot more energetic, and my endurance had gone up a ton.
My mum takes pilates at the gym, and she seems to enjoy it (She is in really great shape, but I honestly think that it's the aquafit classes that are doing it for her). Depending on which instructor you have, it's different. Some instructors don't really work you hard enough to really get you in shape.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did Pilates a while back, but need to get back into it. It is much easier than Yoga - I can't do that because some of the positions put too much strain on my hip.

Pilates really helps with your core and makes you pretty flexible as far as stretching goes. I started with some Giam dvd's which helped a lot before I tried any classes. It can take months to learn the harder positions so don't give up at first.

I think you would like it if you like Yoga already.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried Stott Pilates. I liked it a great deal. Lots of stretching involved, and it feels great.

I can't get down onto the floor so when I was in physio last year I used one of their raised beds for the floor portion. However I was mostly doing beginner arm chair series because I couldn't stand for very long without fainting. Also no equipment was involved other than those flex bands.

They have a whole variety of videos.

http://www.stottpilates.com/

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I work out at home instead of in a gym and have used several different programs. I got a Winsor-Pilates tape and used it for a couple of weeks--very boring. I think what irritated me most was that the "trainer" never did any of the exercises herself, just walked around the room pointing out what her students were doing. And her figure wasn't all that great, certainly didn't make me want to look like her.

Reading the small print in the instructions that came with the workout tape, I discovered that you are supposed to add 20-60 minutes a day of cardio in order to get the promised results.

I sold the tape on eBay and hope the buyer liked it better than I did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input everyone

On tues/thrs they have classes in the morning...and on mon/wed they have classes at 4 (they're an hour long) ...so i'm not sure which ones i'll do yet. I'm thinking about going to the tues/thrs morning ones.

If I do the ones on mon/wed then i'd be doing an hour of pilates then doing my regular workout with my friend (an hour of strength training and almost the same of cardio so that's 3 hours and a bit too long for one day.)

I was planning to go to try pilates this morning- but I couldn't sleep at all last night (went to bed at 11 and literally laid up awake until 3-4am
So i just slept in today.

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never tried it but would like to . . . let me know if you like it!

Good on you for shaking up your exercise routine. There's a fine line between a groove and a rut. I've made a lot of major changes lately -- maybe it's time to include consistent exercise in those changes, as it's a healthy one after all! (I walk, dance and do yoga, but not enough, and I love to swim but wouldn't dare be seen in public in a swimsuit.)

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey I'm glad you posted this! I don't know anyone else who has done pilates before and I have a PE class for it this semester!!! 3 times a week and it starts in October. I'm really excited!

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I take a yogalaties class and I love it!!!! They do yoga and incorporate simple pilates! I took maybe 3 classes and already noticed substantial improvement in my ability to balance!!!

Take it!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear some of you guys like it!

I'm about to head out to my yoga class in a few minutes, so when I go, i'll have to ask some of the other people there if they do pilates too. I'm hoping I can find a few friends to go with, that'd be nice
At the moment i'm planning to start pilates on tuesday.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE Pilates. I always feel so good and empowered afterward. I also like Gyrotonics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrotonic
It can round out Pilates.
I lost a load of weight doing Pilates and got into great shape. I need to get my little self back into it but my health has not been so great lately.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I work out at home instead of in a gym and have used several different programs. I got a Winsor-Pilates tape and used it for a couple of weeks--very boring. I think what irritated me most was that the "trainer" never did any of the exercises herself, just walked around the room pointing out what her students were doing. And her figure wasn't all that great, certainly didn't make me want to look like her.

Reading the small print in the instructions that came with the workout tape, I discovered that you are supposed to add 20-60 minutes a day of cardio in order to get the promised results.

I sold the tape on eBay and hope the buyer liked it better than I did.
Even with workouts like Yoga and Pilates,etc....when it comes down to it, there's just no substitiute for good cardio every day. You really need to do cardio to get your heart pumping- it's soo good for your health. That's why they recommened it in addition to the pilates most likely. Even though I do yoga /etc all throughout the week I still do cardio almost daily just for my heart!

Originally Posted by CC12

I LOVE Pilates. I always feel so good and empowered afterward. I also like Gyrotonics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrotonic
It can round out Pilates.
I lost a load of weight doing Pilates and got into great shape. I need to get my little self back into it but my health has not been so great lately.
I'm glad to hear you like it so much
I'm definitely looking foward to trying it out!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love pilates. And when I do it regularly, it helps my back a lot and I don't have to have injections as often. It also gives me a lot more energy.