I am fuming

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got call from my 17 year old daughter this afternoon. While she was in gym class. someone stole her new fox hoodie, she bought with money she earned this summer, and her fox belt. Keep in mind she has a severe anxiety disorder,(from being born 3 months premature) She was so upset. I went to the school to pick her up. She was crying uncontrolably. Her gym teacher says, oh well it happens all of the time. She shouldn't wear expensive stuff to school. There is no reason to be upset.
Well by now I'm hopping mad. I marched in to the principals office, and gave him a piece of my mind. He said he will get to the bottom of it, and get my daughter a gym locker. I told him her teacher had refused her a locker. He said she will have one tomorrow. He is going to have a talk with this teacher. I am going to try and replace her hoodie, She worked so hard to earn the money.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like the gym teacher who had the rude attitude about someone being robbed and refusal to give your daughter a locker, should be held responsible. Im sorry this happened, I hope your DH feels better soon.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though the teacher showed a lack of common courtesy and concern towards your daughter's items being stolen, it leaves another question to be asked.

Knowing how kids are in today's society, I would never wear anything I hold dear to my heart or "name" brands because kids are kids and many do steal because of they can get away with it.

The teacher should have at "least" given your daughter a locker to put her items into.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is no excuse, but I think that teachers sometimes become apathetic after dealing with teenage attitudes for years on end.

I hope your daughter gets her belt and sweatshirt back without completely losing faith in humanity.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, thats horrible. A few days into starting a new school my senior year, someone stole one of my hoodies too. It sucked.

I hope they can get to the bottom of this, give your daughter a locker, and talk with that teacher and straighten her attitude out.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the teacher is to blame if she asked for a locker and didn't get one. It is the schools responsibility to make sure there is a safe place to put items...especially for a 17 year old that is probably carrying a purse, money, driver's license, etc.

One question I have...how does being born 3 month's premature affect her anxiety now after 17 years? I'm not arguing that it doesn't, I just would like to know how. My cousin's son was born premature last year, but only 1 1/2 months, so I just wanted to know if they should look for that in the future.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that happened to your daughter
I would be upset too if I worked hard to earn something only to have it stolen.

Hopefully she can get a locker and keep a good lock on it. I do think though that maybe she should leave some of her valuables at home since there is a theft around the school- if she doesn't bring them with her they can't be stolen.

I think it's nice of you to replace her hoodie for her. I bet that will cheer her up

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gym teacher's got some issues...

I would write your daughters name with permanent marker on the tag or on the inside somewhere on her expensive things (I think you may also be able to find iron-on labels).

Hope the thief gets caught.

You're daughter's lucky to have such a concerned and caring mom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I think the teacher is to blame if she asked for a locker and didn't get one. It is the schools responsibility to make sure there is a safe place to put items...especially for a 17 year old that is probably carrying a purse, money, driver's license, etc.

One question I have...how does being born 3 month's premature affect her anxiety now after 17 years? I'm not arguing that it doesn't, I just would like to know how. My cousin's son was born premature last year, but only 1 1/2 months, so I just wanted to know if they should look for that in the future.
It is simular to post traumatic stress disorder. In my daughters cause she was in a test program. in which they believed that infants didn't feel pain. Or didn't remember pain. She was on life support for 28 days. all procedure done her were done without any pain medications. she had tubes and IV's from head to toe. back then oygen monitors were a heated device attched to their skin. She was burned through all layers of skin. Every human touch was to take blood, insert IV's .This has left her with hyper sensitivity to touch ,sound, smell and she is unable to contol stress. When we adopted her at 10 weeks we saw the scars. We had no idea the traum she suffered. NICU's have come a long way in 17 years. my 5 year old also adopted premie, was 8 weeks premature. Is fine no trauma

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she asked for a locker and he wouldn't give her one to me that makes it his fault that the items got stolen. In gym class in high school we were always allowed to use the lockers. I would have never trusted leaving my stuff in there unattended without one. What was his reason for not allowing her to use one?

juliejerks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There was a good two solid weeks when I was in highschool that people would get things stolen from the gym locker room EVERY day. The teachers never did anything about it. I had about 200 dollars stolen one day, money my mum gave me for school fees. I called her crying too.
It's absolutely ridiculous. I really hope your daughter gets a locker, and it is awfully nice of you to try to replace it for her.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your girl got her stuff stolen!!!

I personally think american schools ect are lucky to have lockers as in most (apart from a handful) of English schools do not have lockers at all.. and we are lucky if the gym teacher will lock the changing room doors where our stuff is kept!!!

So if there lucky enough to have lockers let the kids put there stuff in them! I mean for crying out loud , how silly is that to refuse a locker??

I guarentee that teacher wouldnt like it if he went to the gym and wasnt able to put his mobile/pager/waller/car keys/clothes ect in..

I am really sorry your daughter had to go through this ,its enough to completely erase her trust issues ,
And the worst thing is , the teens didnt likely steal it for themself but to probably sell

:Hug: to you for being supportive and replacing the hoodie!
Jess x

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I got call from my 17 year old daughter this afternoon. While she was in gym class. someone stole her new fox hoodie, she bought with money she earned this summer, and her fox belt. Keep in mind she has a severe anxiety disorder,(from being born 3 months premature) She was so upset. I went to the school to pick her up. She was crying uncontrolably. Her gym teacher says, oh well it happens all of the time. She shouldn't wear expensive stuff to school. There is no reason to be upset.
Well by now I'm hopping mad. I marched in to the principals office, and gave him a piece of my mind. He said he will get to the bottom of it, and get my daughter a gym locker. I told him her teacher had refused her a locker. He said she will have one tomorrow. He is going to have a talk with this teacher. I am going to try and replace her hoodie, She worked so hard to earn the money.
I am sorry your dtr got her hoodie stolen.

Though I have a couple of questions. The kids didn't have to have a gym locker? Even though they dress out for PE?
My dtr's a freshman in high school and they required the kids to have a lock (you have to buy one) for your PE locker, since you have to dress out for it.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

I am sorry your dtr got her hoodie stolen.

Though I have a couple of questions. The kids didn't have to have a gym locker? Even though they dress out for PE?
My dtr's a freshman in high school and they required the kids to have a lock (you have to buy one) for your PE locker, since you have to dress out for it.
There are locker available . The Gym teacher assigns them. I was told the reason she has never had a locker, is she is in special ed. She said special ed kids just forget the combination. My daughter has no problem remembering. She is in special ed because of her stress disorder. I am going to the school this morning to make sure she gets heard. She is feeling much better this morning.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

There are locker available . The Gym teacher assigns them. I was told the reason she has never had a locker, is she is in special ed. She said special ed kids just forget the combination. My daughter has no problem remembering. She is in special ed because of her stress disorder. I am going to the school this morning to make sure she gets heard. She is feeling much better this morning.
OMG. As the parent of a kid in special ed, I would be VERY upset. I hope things go well for you at the school.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What an insensitive *censor* !
IMO a person like this has no business teaching kids, especially special needs children. Gym class can be rough for a lot of kids, ( I hated it, was never good at sports) and having a teacher that treats you like thats is just horrible.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ok, now that's just a stupid reason. If the kids forget their locker combination, let them buy a lock that has a key with it. Though that's not a problem if your dtr remembers her combination.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

Ok, now that's just a stupid reason. If the kids forget their locker combination, let them buy a lock that has a key with it. Though that's not a problem if your dtr remembers her combination.
Or *gasp* maybe the insensitive (I'm trying to be reasonable, lol
) teacher could actually open the locker for the special ed kids who have trouble remembering combinations (especially if they are the kind with built in combo locks). Giving the other students gym lockers and not the special ed kids is treating them like second class citizens
and that really "irks" me.

I'm glad she's feeling better today

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, at first I felt sorry for your daughter - having someone steal her personal items and then having the teacher act so uncaring - saying she shouldn't wear such items to school, in essance, blaming the victim. Where are students supossed to wear the clothing they want their friends to see?

THEN I read about what they did to that poor girl when she was a teeny premature baby! Now I am LIVID! How could anyone even think for one second that a baby wouldn't feel pain?!!!

Thank you for giving a loving home to a child who's life began so terribly.

Originally Posted by catsallover

Or *gasp* maybe the insensitive (I'm trying to be reasonable, lol
) teacher could actually open the locker for the special ed kids who have trouble remembering combinations (especially if they are the kind with built in combo locks). Giving the other students gym lockers and not the special ed kids is treating them like second class citizens
and that really "irks" me.
I'm glad she's feeling better today

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The principal has put up a reward for my daughter's hoodie. So far they have had several tips come into the office. Her special ed teacher has given her a locker in the teacher room. With a combination lock, but in a better monitored area.