I'm craving Cabbage Rolls!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been craving cabbage rolls all day! Unfortunately the kind that is in the frozen section at Safeway aren't very good and don't taste like the ones my mom used to make. And I don't have the stuff here to make them from scratch, and even if I did, it's way too much work!

Someone come over and make me some cabbage rolls!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can actually make them without rolling and they taste just as delicious and its super easy. (and less stinky) Let me see if I can find you a recipe since mine is in my head.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I make mine lemony without the tomato.....This is the stuffed version to just show the ingredients.

http://artofhacking.com/aohfood/5900...lemonsauce.htm

This is an unstuffed with the tomato.......

http://artofhacking.com/aohfood/0100...fedcabbage.htm
Thanks. None of those sound very appealing to me. I like traditional Ukrainian ones. I'll have to try and find my Ukrainian cookbook or call up my Aunty and ask her how she makes the tomato sauce for them. I know how to make the filling, but I never seen to get the sauce right.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Linda, I was thinking about cabbage rolls just the other day. My first MIL was Ukrainian and taught me to make cabbage rolls. I wasn't too fond of hers because they were mostly rice with hardly any meat and I didn't really like her sauce so I experimented and came up with my own version. My hubby and daughter do not care for them but I love them. When my friends and I go away for our golf weekend in the fall we usually get a condo so one of the meals has to be my cabbage rolls. I even had a Ukrainian fellow once tell me my cabbage rolls were better than his mom's which is quite a compliment.

I make a huge roaster pan full, after they are cooked and cooled I then package what I would eat for one meal in plastic containers and freeze them. On the nights my hubby is playing in the band or I don't have to make dinner for him, I pull out one of those lovely packages of cabbage rolls and enjoy, enjoy.

If I were close to you I would love to bring you over some cabbage rolls since I actually planned on making my big batch this coming weekend. I've already had to promise 3 of my friends that I would give them some so what's one more friend!