can URI return twice in a row?

whitepearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little baby who is 16 weeks old had an upper respitory when i 1st got him. He was on clavamax for 2 weeks and deff got better. He has been off the medicine for 3 days now and i swear it's coming back.

Yesterday he got 2 shots and a deworming medicine (just in case) and he was limping all night and crying in pain because he was sore (which i was told is normal)

Today, he is still a bit out of it..but his eyes are really watery again and i been wiping off some clear discharge off his nose. It also sounds like he has mucus in his throat again bc he makes sounds trying to swallow/clear it..its not nearly as severe as it was last time..but i swear his URI is coming back.

I called the vets off and they said the shots wouldnt have caused this. I'm waiting for the vet to call me back.

So upset..idk what to do at this point..i feel so bad for the kitten!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it has happened to my cats before. When it happens to my cats it is about 3 days after the Antibiotics are gone. He will need more antibiotics and should be fine after that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whitepearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

it has happened to my cats before. When it happens to my cats it is about 3 days after the Antibiotics are gone. He will need more antibiotics and should be fine after that.
that is so fraustrating

do you think they will give me the same medicine or something stronger this time?

and will it be 14 day treatment again? he absolutly HATES medicine

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it depends on the cat. Coco has bladder infections that take 6 bottles of antibiots before they go away. Last time she had to get Baytril and it worked.
She has had a alot of Uris also and got Orbax and Clavamox for them. Was the Clavamox you used a pill or liquid? Meeko had Clavamox for a Uri and some shots. If you get more meds it will be a full dose again.

whitepearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Well it depends on the cat. Coco has bladder infections that take 6 bottles of antibiots before they go away. Last time she had to get Baytril and it worked.
She has had a alot of Uris also and got Orbax and Clavamox for them. Was the Clavamox you used a pill or liquid? Meeko had Clavamox for a Uri and some shots. If you get more meds it will be a full dose again.
It was liquid.

I'm going to be horrified if i have to give him medicine for 14 days again.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean.
I had to chase my Cat around with the dropper.
Coco can not have clavamox anymore because she had bad reactions to it and would barf alot.
We tried so amny Antibiotics until we found one she didnt get sick on.
The Clavamox worked for Meeko after a month on it with a Uri.
I comes in pills also.
How would you cat react to a pill i pill pockets?

whitepearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I know what you mean.
I had to chase my Cat around with the dropper.
Coco can not have clavamox anymore because she had bad reactions to it and would barf alot.
We tried so amny Antibiotics until we found one she didnt get sick on.
The Clavamox worked for Meeko after a month on it with a Uri.
I comes in pills also.
How would you cat react to a pill i pill pockets?
He spits pills from what i been told.

I have to take Elvis, roll him in a towel like a baby with one his head sticking out..and thats the only way i can shove the syringe into his mouth. I cant imagine doing that twice daily again. Blah.

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His immune system is still compromised. Add lysine to the food to help boost the immune system. Along with meds to kick the infection. A steamy bathroom will help loosen the mucus and take the stress level down a notch or two.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It isn't that it's come back, it's that it hasn't gone away. He's just gotten better, but not well, if that makes any sense. Since he's just finished a round of antibiotics, call the vet's office and tell them what you've told us. They'll likely give you either another round of meds or a different kind of med. If you can, ask for the pill treats which are more expensive, but oh so much easier to give!!! They're flavored medicine treats that my kitties LOVE!!

I'd rather give pill treats, then liquid, then pills. Sometimes with pills, you can crush them and mix them up in wet food, though.

Stephanie

whitepearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your replies!

I would LOVE to give him pill treats..idont mind paying extra. Problem is that Elvis doesnt eat treats. I tried EVERYTHING. From the most expensive like Wellness to the cheapest. And NOTHING. He smells it and walks away. In general he is picky. He won't eat anything out of my hand exept for tuna. Not shrimp. not chicken, not yougurt or peanut butter...you get the point.

He is a Himalayan so maybe they are really picky? I have NO idea. He is my 1st cat ever.

I'm a bit confused though, all night he was making sounds from his nose and i had to get up twice and wipe away snot. This morning, he woke up and his nose is dry like nothing happened?

My question is, he likes sleeping in the window or on the ac vents. He LOVES cold places ( i thought cats liked warm places???) It gets pretty cold at night, i have to use a warm blanket so i have no idea how he sleeps in the window. It's around 55 at night. Could that have anything to do with him getting sick or a runny nose??

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something else to consider which might be triggering the relapse is airborne allergens. If your weather is changing, that might be the culprit.

whitepearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Something else to consider which might be triggering the relapse is airborne allergens. If your weather is changing, that might be the culprit.
hmm

maybe i shouldnt let him sleep in the open window anymore :-\\

whitepearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Going to the vet tommorow morning...i guess we'll see

i'm almost 100% sure it's URI again and not reaction to his shots

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitties are smart. When they get hot or cold, they relocate. It's not the heat or the cold that's the problem, it's the allergens. Something else to consider is that he might be feline herpes positive and when he has a flare up, it presents itself as an URI. That's the way my Hannah is.