Anyone else do Yoga????

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do any of you do yoga regurally? Just curious!!! My friend and I started going to our gym's yoga class regurally and we love it
I like it especially for stress reduction- it's great! Everyone in our class is so nice too

Do any of you guys go to a yoga class regurally or do it at home?

Oh yea, and who else hates the crane pose???? I mean really! I almost broke my neck trying that one
My heart monitor fell off of me and I got distracted and fell over in front of everyone today

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've often thought about it becuase I think it's something I would enjoy, but have never gotten around to signing up.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Id love to do it but there is no where around here that offers it. Im in the middle of no where!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well....I have tried Yoga on video, but never in a class. I used to regularily take Pilates classes though and I liked them. They are harder than one might think!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a yoga for beginners video with a mat. I watched the video and laughed through the whole thing.

There is no way that my fat body will get into 99.9% of the positions they were showing!

I think Yoga is exclusively for skinny people because on us larger people, body parts get in the way

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was very much into yoga back in the 80's and found it very relaxing and helped a lot with stress..
A couple of years ago I tried to get back into it but by then the issue's with my knees were advanced enough that I just don't have the flexibility anymore..It is a good way to exercise though and can be very enjoyable..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Well....I have tried Yoga on video, but never in a class. I used to regularily take Pilates classes though and I liked them. They are harder than one might think!
They have Pilates classes at our gym too
I'm thinking about trying some of those out too and maybe adding them into my refular routine. I've heard a lot of good things about them! Glad to hear you like them!

You should really try out a yoga class if they have one Natalie- i think you'd like it! (It doesn't really feel like you're getting a huge workout when you're doing it but afterwards you'll be pretty sore! I'm still sore today from my class yesterday.)

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I bought a yoga for beginners video with a mat. I watched the video and laughed through the whole thing.
Linda you would have had a good laugh at me the other day- I fell over in front of everyone
I was soo embaressed

I was attempting to do this pose when my heart monitor (I had it clipped onto my pants) fell off onto my mat, apprently it distracted me and I fell right over
http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/468

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ What sort of heart monitor are you wearing? My cardiologist wants me to wear a holter in about a week and I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do with the box...

I've never really understood why anyone would want to bend themselves in weird positions. I can do a lot of that naturally - provided it doesn't involve my lower back since a couple of vertebrae are fused.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

I haven't signed up anywhere to do it - I usually just do it on my Wii Fit!
Me too, between the areobics & Yoga I'm actually getting into pretty good shape.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ What sort of heart monitor are you wearing? My cardiologist wants me to wear a holter in about a week and I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do with the box...

I've never really understood why anyone would want to bend themselves in weird positions. I can do a lot of that naturally - provided it doesn't involve my lower back since a couple of vertebrae are fused.
Yoga is really good for strengthening your whole body, especially your core and even though i'm already pretty flexible- it helps improve that even more as well....it's just great all the way around! I like it best for the stress reduction

I'm wearing the one at the very top (King of Hearts Express AF) http://ugmedical.com/UG MED/Event Recorder.htm

I have to wear it for 30 days. So i'm stuck with this till Oct. It's a pain in the butt, but it will get the readings my cardiologist needs to try and help me, so it's worth it.

I wore one of these exact same ones 3 years ago (also for a month) so i'm used to them by now, but they're still obnixious. The thing that drives me crazy is that the clip on part of my monitor is too loose because of all the folks that have used it i'm sure -so it doesn't stay on my pants well and constantly falls off (like it did in calss the other day!). When it falls down keep in mind it's still attached to the electrodes, so everytime it does that it pulls my skin and hurts. So that's what i don't like about it. I did figure out a way though to take a large rubber band and wrape it around the monitor so that I can secure it to my pants better. If you wind up getting one, pm me and i'll share that trick with you! It helps a bit.

Also you should be able to sleep with it on at night just be careful to try not to roll over on it too much.

Get you some comfy shorts/pants that you won't mind wearing while you have the monitor- the thing i dislike about the monitor is I can't wear my cute dresses with them because of the electrodes/wiring and no where to hook the monitor onto a dress. (i wasn't happy about that lol, i'm a dress person
)

Also you wanna get you a bottle of 100% Acetone (you can get it at drugstores, walmart, etc in the isle with the nail polish/removers)- it is the ONLY thing that works for taking off the electrodes (they stick to your skin horribly and leave a pretty bad residue- so the acetone helps get it off!). Be sure not to use any lotions with lanolin in them on your skin as they will make it a lot worse. It helps if you rotate the electrodes a bit and use a pinch of Aloe on the spots that dont have electrodes on them any more!
Ask your doctor if you can have the electrodes for sensitive skin. They a smidge better than the regular ones. (You only wear two at a time. One in the top right part of your chest and one on the lower left part of your chest.)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, since it's only going to be 24 hours I'm not sure if I'll be getting a holter or event monitor. I've had holters on me 3 or 4 times now (and as many EKGs too), I had the electrode pads residue to deal with. Unfortunately, acetone is what they use in nail polish remover, so I already know I can't use that on my skin.
So fair, a couple of showers and a lot of scrubbing has removed the residue before. No problems with dresses here, I can't wear them unless I want to sew/alter one to fit me. I suffer from too much on top and no butt problems - so dresses hang like sacks.

If it is a holter, and the same model I've had so far, they're fairly large... and the stupid electrode leads never stay clipped! Hopefully though I'll find out what else is going on besides tach, I suspect PVCs (most people have them), who knows what else they'll find.

Hopefully, if your heart is doing funny things, all those weird yoga positions will set it off and your event monitor will catch it. When I bend/lean over, or try to support to much weight (lifting anything) it sets off my ANS - my heart rate either goes up or down and my blood pressure drops.

And I do have some hypermobility, while strengthening my joints probably would help a lot, if I move the wrong way I can actually partially dislocate a few of my joints. Hips and shoulders are the most noticeable for me. I'd probably have to try yoga aimed about people in their 50s.

Did you ever mention the possibility of dysautonomia or partial dysautonomia (POTS, NCS, PAF, gastro motility issues) to your doctor? Were you taken seriously?

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I LOVE YOGA!!! Been taking class 3x a week at my gym. And I fallen out of that damn pose more than a couple of times even without a heart monitor to distract me. LOL Balance is not my strong suit. And Natalie CA I'm pretty fat and yes my belly gets in way but by doing yoga my belly is getting smaller along with the rest of me. So give it a try you'd be surprised how quickly you improve.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Actually, since it's only going to be 24 hours I'm not sure if I'll be getting a holter or event monitor. I've had holters on me 3 or 4 times now (and as many EKGs too), I had the electrode pads residue to deal with. Unfortunately, acetone is what they use in nail polish remover, so I already know I can't use that on my skin.
So fair, a couple of showers and a lot of scrubbing has removed the residue before. No problems with dresses here, I can't wear them unless I want to sew/alter one to fit me. I suffer from too much on top and no butt problems - so dresses hang like sacks.

If it is a holter, and the same model I've had so far, they're fairly large... and the stupid electrode leads never stay clipped! Hopefully though I'll find out what else is going on besides tach, I suspect PVCs (most people have them), who knows what else they'll find.

Hopefully, if your heart is doing funny things, all those weird yoga positions will set it off and your event monitor will catch it. When I bend/lean over, or try to support to much weight (lifting anything) it sets off my ANS - my heart rate either goes up or down and my blood pressure drops.

And I do have some hypermobility, while strengthening my joints probably would help a lot, if I move the wrong way I can actually partially dislocate a few of my joints. Hips and shoulders are the most noticeable for me. I'd probably have to try yoga aimed about people in their 50s.

Did you ever mention the possibility of dysautonomia or partial dysautonomia (POTS, NCS, PAF, gastro motility issues) to your doctor? Were you taken seriously?
I'm glad you're able to get all the residue off of you- no matter how much i scrub or what I try I can never get it all off without Acetone. The electrodes just tear up my skin- it's crazy!

I hope they figure out what's wrong with your heart

I'm hoping they figure out mine too:. In the mean time though i'm supposed to do everything I normally do when i'm not on a monitor including exercise/etc....so that when I have a symptom i can record it. So far i've got a few good ones for them over the 200 BPM range.

My appointment is on the 23rd so when I go i'm definitely bringing up the dysautonomia possibility to see what he thinks.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I hope they figure out what's wrong with your heart
My heart is healthy, thankfully.
There's really no heart disease in either side of my family - though there's a lot of diabetes and thyroid issues. Though, one has to wonder if high heart rates do eventually take their toll - I've found conflicting info on this.

200bpm! And I thought my 165bpm getting up to go to the bathroom one morning was bad.

Have you researched dysautonomia, yet? You're really high functioning, if you possibly do have some form of it - but then so am I for the most part. The partial forms can be, though. There's also a link to insulin resistance, which I think you said you have?

I'd like to see you find some answer to everything, even if it wouldn't change treatment too much. Though it could possibly offer better options for heart rate control if there's a nervous system problem playing into it.

But in the meantime, if you can handle it, exercise is very good.

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I take yoga every Thursday and Sunday. One class is a yoga class (sundays) and the other is "yogalaties"

I LOVE it!

It is very relaxing and it feels so good to stretch.

The important thing to remember when doing any group fittness is that some people may be experts and some are novices. They key is to do what you can and what feels comfortable. Yoga SHOULD NOT HURT!!

If it does you are doing too much!

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I am actually just coming back from my yoga class. I love it

I took yoga last year and liked it - it was good exercise and I could really see an improvement in my flexibility.

This year I am taking a different class (at the University gym) and I find that in addition to the exercise and flexibility, I am getting a lot more relaxation. I am just discovering how much it is also a form of meditation
That's not to say that this class is less physically demanding, but the teacher does a great job of integrating breathing, relaxation and awareness of the body with the exercises.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to see so many other folks like Yoga as much as I do

I went to a different class tonight (I normally go to the morning classes) with another teacher. Good night i'm going to be soo sore tomorrow!
This class was a lot more advanced and I feel like I got a really good workout from this one! The teacher was sweet too!
So i'm planning on going to this one too from now on!