Cat's and Open Windows

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is so nice down here in Texas today (about 77 degrees, breezy, cloudy) I wish the weather would stay like this. But anyway since it's so nice outside I opened up all the windows (not all but most of them) in the house to get some fresh air in here and my cat is having a field day running from one to the other and from room to room whenever she hears birds. I'm glad it's entertaining her!

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Be careful about them knocking the screens off! My cats have actually TORN holes in the screens they wanted out so bad!

davecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten really wants to go outside all the time and we have a really hard time when we have the windows open as he tries and escapes.

I have heard of these cat screens and looked for them, but never found any - where would I be able to find one?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101

Be careful about them knocking the screens off! My cats have actually TORN holes in the screens they wanted out so bad!
Mine did that, too when they saw a souirrel. Make sure you are very careful. They sell these screens at Lowe's or Home Depot that you can actually screw in that are made of metal.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will be shopping for new screens this weekend. We had all our windows open the other evening, and Piper was trying to catch the bugs that were on the outside of the screen.
Suddenly I realized she had completely ripped one side of the screen out of the frame, and she was poking her nose out the window like she was deciding if she should go exploring.
Windows shut, AC on!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Radar had a very nasty incident once, my windows lock open to leave a gap of what I thought would never be big enough for a cat to even get its head through. Radar leaped for some pigeons on the roof and got his front half through this tiny gap then slipped and got himself wedged behind the ribs in the V shape of the gap above the locking mechanism. We are 3 floors from the ground. Thankfully I managed to get him out and he wasn't injured, but it was a very narrow escape!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have screens that can't come out, and my windows are open most of the year. I have cat trees in front of some windows so they can lay in the sun and watch the birds.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

My Radar had a very nasty incident once, my windows lock open to leave a gap of what I thought would never be big enough for a cat to even get its head through. Radar leaped for some pigeons on the roof and got his front half through this tiny gap then slipped and got himself wedged behind the ribs in the V shape of the gap above the locking mechanism. We are 3 floors from the ground. Thankfully I managed to get him out and he wasn't injured, but it was a very narrow escape!
OMG! I am three flights up also, and you have just described a total nightmare of mine. I check my screens everyday for wear and (literally) tear.
I also am going to look for those screens that can screw in....that sounds like a good idea. If I could I would have bars across my windows!!

I can't even THINK about them falling from the window....it makes me so sick.

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've got a neighbor whose indoor-only cat got out yesterday because a screen came out of a window. We live in townhouses in a complex. I'm not sure which floor the window was on (we have basements on the ground floor, then a main floor where the front door is that goes out onto a deck, then an upstairs floor). In any case, I don't think the cat was hurt. Also luckily, she has another cat, too, who didn't get out.

The cat that got out apparently took off because my neighbor was looking for him all day yesterday. I didn't see her today, so I don't know if she found him. She told me that he didn't have a collar or tag, and I heard her on the phone saying that even if the cat doesn't like the collar, he's going to wear one from now on, and she's going to get both of her cats chipped.

I've got indoor/outdoor cats myself, and my cats were out yesterday. I didn't hear any cat fights, though, so I'm guessing that my cats didn't run into my neighbor's cat.

to my neighbor that she finds her cat.