*****KatKwery - Sep 15 - Jackpot now at 138,500*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me remind our players that there will be eight players competing for the title of KatKwery 2008 champion. If you are in the top eight now, that's great but remember, the higher you are in the standings will give you an advantage in the playoffs. If you are not in the top eight, you still have 16 shots at moving into the top eight. And I am not going to mention the N.Y. Giants, but tonight I will be watching the Cowboys, who should have been the champs but it just goes to show that having the highest seed is no guarantee of being the champ. And so it is with KatKwery. And even if you have zero points, you can still win 11,200 points and put you in the playoffs! 138,500 points (or more) are up for grabs, so start grabbing! And, just winning 700 points can be fun, too.

Yes, marianjela won again by using fur. And Laureen227 won again by using cute. BelongsToEvie moved up a position by using wild. All of these secret words have never been used before. Not used were surprise(d) and hundred (or 100). Remember, there are no correct answers so 100 was just a secret word that could have been used.

Today's KatKwiz was about leaving your cat in a cage.

OK, just answer the questions and you may just accidently or intentionally use the secret word (that has not been chosen yet.)

Have you ever had to leave your cat in a cage overnight? What is the maximum amount of time one of your cats has had to spend in a cage? Did you think to bring a used shirt, blanket, or other such thing to put in the cage with your cat? How did you feel being separated from your cat? Finally, did you happen to notice there was this new article on the home page, written by our own Anne Moss?

Note: Just because the question may not pertain to you (your cat has never spent a night in a cage), you can still answer the question in such a way that you will use the secret word. You will not be at a disadvantage.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had to leave your cat in a cage overnight?
Chester had a UTI once and had to stay at the vets overnight.

What is the maximum amount of time one of your cats has had to spend in a cage?
When I moved from Washington (state) to Maine I packed my six cats and two dogs in the back of a camper and off we went. I drove 10-12 hour days so my poor cats were in their cage that entire time. Only one had an accident though.

Did you think to bring a used shirt, blanket, or other such thing to put in the cage with your cat?
Yes, I wore a bunch of old shirts for a week and then used them as bedding, along with used towels. And I had extras just in case.

How did you feel being separated from your cat?
It seems like when Chester had to stay at the vet he was only there for one night, and I visited him right before they closed. I felt awful : (

Finally, did you happen to notice there was this new article on the home page, written by our own Anne Moss?
No I didnt, I havent checked the main page for a while.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Have you ever had to leave your cat in a cage overnight? What is the maximum amount of time one of your cats has had to spend in a cage? Did you think to bring a used shirt, blanket, or other such thing to put in the cage with your cat? How did you feel being separated from your cat? Finally, did you happen to notice there was this new article on the home page, written by our own Anne Moss?
the only one of mine that spent any time in a cage/at the vet's was Mouse, right before she died. she spent a night at the e-vet's, then several days/nights at the vets after a surgery that looked as if it were going to solve the problem, but didn't [or she succumbed to FHL - i didn't get a necropsy, so i'll never know for sure what the problem was...]
i didn't bring anything for her to the vet's, either - i was in no state of mind to be thinking about such a thing... i was really unhappy she was having to stay at the vet's, but she wasn't improving at home even tho [since it was the Christmas break] i was home with her. since she passed unexpectedly [she'd seemed to be improving] i never got to say goodbye to her, either. both that plus her departure left me heartbroken - i also felt somewhat guilty, because it took me so long to find a vet that was able to help her in any way. also, i'm sure she was ill prior to my noticing [you know how well they hide things] & i had some guilt issues about that, as well. my head knows better, but my
still hurt.
i hadn't noticed the article before you brought it to my attention.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Note: Just because the question may not pertain to you (your cat has never spent a night in a cage), you can still answer the question in such a way that you will use the secret word. You will not be at a disadvantage.
I think Kairi had to spend one night at the vets when she was spayed. I remember because my boyfriend called it her "kitty sleepover." But Namine hasn't had to spend a night at the vet. She spent lots of time in cages when she was at the SPCA though before we got her. The cats have been together in "cat condos" when we've gone away on vacation before. We actually picked them up today, because we were gone for 4 days. They love it at this place. Their condo is a tri-level unit and they love sleeping on the top. That's where they were when we went to pick them up today. Although they like it there, they were more than thrilled to see us today when we got there. We always bring a blue blanket that they both love to sleep on when they go there. We also bring some toys from home that they can play with. I don't like being separated from them, but I prefer it to leaving them home alone and having our friend check on them. To me, I'm always terrified there's going to be a fire or something at the apartment we live in, and I won't be able to save them or something. I get paranoid about things like that. Plus, the woman that runs this place has it right out of her own home, so there's always someone there, unlike a vet boarding facility where someone might be gone over night or something.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woo hoo, we have some players here today! Sorry for chiming in late, but better late than never. Thanks for the points again Lee, let's see if I have any luck left today. I'm pretty tired, but my fingers have a mind of their own.

I actually have had to leave my cats in a cage overnight at the vets before. More than one cat on several different occasions. All the cats had to stay overnight when they had their spay or neuter appointments. Willow the Wonder Cat had to stay overnight at the vets on more than one occasion. If anyone remembers, she is a cat we adopted from the pound over three years ago and she was already pregnant, unbeknownst to us. Four weeks after we adopted her she had a litter of kittens. A day or so after she had her kittens she got really sick and lethargic. I noticed she was walking funny, real gingerly, and when I went to pet her I noticed she had a fever. Her ears were burning up. So I loaded up her and her kittens and we headed for the emergency vets. They did x-rays and said she had a distended belly, confirmed she didnt retain any placentas and told us to follow up with our vet in the morning. The next day they ended up "admitting" her and her kittens and put her on IV antibiotics. Thankfully she recovered quickly and I only remember her staying one night. When she came home though, they kept a catheter in her shaved arm and had it wrapped in blue tape in case they needed to access it again. They never did have to, but I remember calling it her blue kitten.

So the maximum number of days she had to spend in a cage overnight was actually two, but not consecutively. Once when she was sick, and another when she was spayed. BUT, I dont know how many days she spent in a cage at the shelter before we adopted her from the Humane Society. Weeks maybe. But I knew right away when I seen her that she was the one. Hubby and the kids were looking at the younger cats, but I fell in love with Willow when I seen her! It was kismet - after all - if it wasnt for her, I might not have ever found TheCatSite!

When Willow went to the vet the first time, I did have a blanket with her, but not intentionally. I never thought of it. I put one with her because of her kittens and I had a towel draped over the basket also. When the cats all went for the alterations, I didnt put anything in their cages with them. Bad mom. But next time I'll know better.

Well, I did do something similar when the boys(my sons) were born. Before I brought them home from the hospital I sent DH home with one of their swaddling blankets and let the dog and cat smell it to get used to the scent before we actually brought home the baby. I dont know if it made a difference. They are still curious when you bring the squirming hairless creature home, but we tried. And they were good nonetheless.

When all the cats went in for their speutering appointments, I didnt have that much separation anxiety. I dont remember having any anyway. I dont think I was "sad", but glad that they were getting their appointments over with, and was happy to see them when I picked them up. And I'm sure they were ecstatic and relieved also. I do remember one of the cats still being a little loopy and wobbly from the drugs the next day.

When I had to leave Willow and her kittens at the vet; however, I remember bawling. I recall going to my mother's house afterward and she must've thought I was crazy crying over a cat. I remember being not only worried about Willow, but what would happen to the kittens if something happened to Willow. The veterinarian had warned us that if her fever didnt come down, that they would have to do an emergency spay, in which case we would have to find a surrogate mom for the kittens or else supplement them with formula. Anyway, she miraculously healed fast, and they never did say definitively what had caused the fever, but they speculated that it was mastitis.

Finally, no, I did not notice the new article on the home page. I used to go straight to the front page when I came to TCS, then I changed my bookmark to go to my User CP, but now it automatically takes me to my bank, so that I dont forget to transfer my points around everyday. But I did find the article when I read the KatKwiz this morning; although, it was already answered, I still went looking for it and then took the time to read it once I was there. I figure if Anne can take the time to write it - I can do my part by reading them. So thanks Lee, for pointing it out the new article for me.

I guess that's enough for now. I may be back tomorrow, but tonight is an early night for me. Hubby is watching the stinkin' Cowboys game. Yeah, sadly, he's a fan, always has been... but I still married him - flaws and all

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley;2413953

OK, just answer the questions and you may just accidently or intentionally use the secret word (that has not been chosen yet.)

:confused:[B

Have you ever had to leave your cat in a cage overnight? What is the maximum amount of time one of your cats has had to spend in a cage? Did you think to bring a used shirt, blanket, or other such thing to put in the cage with your cat? How did you feel being separated from your cat? Finally, did you happen to notice there was this new article on the home page, written by our own Anne Moss?[/b]

My girls have never been in a cage overnight. The closest they came was when they were spayed, and then it was only a few hours. They were probably sleeping for much of that after their spay surgery. I never thought to put a shirt or blanket for them to use. I hated being separated from that for even that short of time. I worried about them all day until I picked them up and then worried about Dusty since she took longer to be back to her normal self after the surgery. Unlike her sister, Rusty, who bounced back rather quickly. Dusty was the only one who was prescribed pain meds although they both had a pain shot the day of the spay. The only cat that I had that spent a night at the vet was my RB girl Kiki after her spay. Back then, girl kitties had to spend the night but boy kitties got to go home that evening. I was thankful that my girls were home that evening even though they were groggy.

I didn't see the article until you posted the question but I knew immediately where to look.
I was in a rush to go to work, so I just read the article and posted the answer before I left. I didn't even notice who wrote it! It was a good article though. Full of good advice and information that I hope to never have to use!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The longest my cats have been in a cage/carrier was for a three hour drive to visit my parents. I started out with the two of them in separate carriers, both in the back seat, and you wouldn't believe the number of different noises they made. I put them both in the same carrier and the curled up and slept the whole way. Not another peep out of them.

I usually log in directly to the forums without going through the home page. Guess it's time to check it out again. I'll be taking all my kitties to the vet soon to be spayed/neutered. I don't think I'll have to leave them overnight, though. That's just one more thing to ask when I call for the appointment.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, marianjela won again by using fur. And Laureen227 won again by using cute. BelongsToEvie moved up a position by using wild. All of these secret words have never been used before. Not used were surprise(d) and hundred (or 100). Remember, there are no correct answers so 100 was just a secret word that could have been used.

Today's KatKwiz was about leaving your cat in a cage.

Yay! When I first started playing this, I never thought I'd do so good!!
Though I'm not sure the way I used it is how you imagined it would be.

Now this is confession time for me! Yes, Evie has spent many, many nights in cages. Not only was she a pound kitty, so spent who knows how long in a cage before being adopted, she then went to the vet for a spay and spent another night in a cage. THEN, I treat my cats like I do dogs- they have a cage to live in until they acclimate to the house and us and I'm sure they are ok being left out. Cronos is in Evie's old cage now! So she was locked up at night and while we were gone (we worked opposite schedules, so she really wasn't locked up that much). Luckily, it's a huge cage!

Once she got parolled, however, she hasn't spent hardly any time locked up in any cage- at home or the vets or boarding or anything. Hasn't spent any at a vet's or boarding. I think I've had to lock her up a few times when work was being done and we didn't want her getting out, but that's about it.

No, when she was locked up not at home, we didn't bring a shirt or anything. Wouldn't have done much good because she didn't know us yet! She went straight from the pound to the vet, then came home to bond. At her cage at home, yeah, it had plenty of her and our stink on it!

How did I feel about "being separated"... Well, it wasn't really separated, since we hadn't been together yet. So honestly, I felt really excited to finally be getting my first kitty!!

Nope, did not notice that article until you pointed it out! Wow, look at that, KatKwiz and Kwery fulfill their purpose yet again!!