Favorite Dollar Store Finds???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure most of you guys have a dollar store near you! We have quite a few around here, but my favorite is Dollar Tree. It's great- they always have a lot of stuff to choose from
Do any of you guys like shopping at dollar stores? If so, what are some of your favorite finds????

For me I like

their wrapping paper (Especially the Christmas stuff!)
some of their scented candles
tart burners
some of their candy/snacks (When I went today they had TONS of halloween stuff)
Some of their holiday decorations
spices
And sometimes if i'm lucky they have some pretty good dog toys too -mine like the stuffed ones with squeakers!

What do you like to buy at the dollar store?

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have both 99 cent only stores and DollarTree. I mostly go to the 99 cent only store. I got a honeydew melon, cantalope and a small seedless watermelon. I have gotten candy, wine, 7-Up, and lots of stuff there. Some of the things I have gotten stuff that cost way more at the grocery stores. It is well worth it.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the $1 store here has the best candy in the world!! lol

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We use pound shops.

I have found

A rain cover for my baby cousins pushchair/stroller
Proper branded tolietrees , like impulse and adidas spray
Good pens and stationairy for college
Adidas aftershave lol
Umbrella

Cups as gifts lol
and chrismat gift bags
Jess x

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found a cleaner for $1 at Dollar General that is great for getting black streaks off my car trailer.

I was on a dedicated Dollar General fleet for a while.

Watch where stuff comes from. They have found toothpaste and other things coming in that were not approved for US sale.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the dollar stores!

Some things I've bought:

Crystal candle holders
Wrought Iron Candelabra
Decorative tins
Stationary stuff
Wind up toy bugs for the cats
Gift bags for "wrapping" gifts
Spices

I did buy peanut butter there once but it was disgusting. I later noticed that the first ingredient listed was "icing sugar'!!!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two here locally, Dollarama and Everything for a buck..
I like them because I like doing crafts but don't like to pay a fortune for the stuff I use.

I get things like
cloth flowers
pipe cleaners
buttons
felt shapes
etc.

It's great and you can make some pretty cool things out of the stuff....

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh Dollar Tree!!!

I love going there!

Ours here even has a grocery section!
Me, too, and ours sells groceries as well.

I love getting holiday decorations there. Our local store has their Halloween stuff out and I got some foam tombstones and signs that I've dressed up with glow in the dark paint. Most of my eyeshadows come from there, too.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, if I don't go to Dollar General at least once a week I go into withdrawl! I mainly get cleaning stuff and can goods...and medications (ibuprophen, rolaids, etc), paper goods...ummm...just about everything! Last week I was checking out their decorations and got the cutest scarecrow for the front yard for $2.50. This weekend I saw the same one for $6.95 at walmart.

About the only thing I don't get there are dog toys. Nothing against their toys but they just aren't sturdy enough for my devils and I got tired of cleaning up the stuffing and hunting for the squeaker.

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we have the dollarama as well!

it seems that there is always something that we can get there.

i really like the:

dishes - they have nice glass and ceramic little bowls and stainless steel little bowls, they are great for serving sour cream or dips or whatever...i love them so much that i could buy different ones each time i go...
crafting supplies - beads (i LOVE beading), key rings and metal shower curtain hooks that i use when i make my ferret hammocks, they also have great scrap booking supplies (i don't do this, but my sister does)
halloween decorations!!!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paper cups for cupcakes!

Mom and I hit Wal Mart and a big grocery and their cheapest cups were of licensed characters. No plain paper ones. Mom was telling me over our 2 way radios and the clerk at Dollar General across the street heard us and told us that they had them! It just so happened they use 2 way radios in the store and were on the same frequency Mom and I were using.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gem lady that is funny lol!!!

I love our pound stores or our Mr cheaps

Dog beds , scratching posts , toys and and collars for dogs and cat there are quite sturdy

But i have brought a dog toy from a pound store and the dog had it in 4 peices within 4 seconds lol

Oh travel packs of Pampers for my Godson 10 pampers nappies for 1 pound.
Jess x

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
we have a store called Deals around here and I always find something cool there! Maybe I'll go today

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love buying shampoos and liquid bath soaps. Same brand name as the grocery store for $1!

When my parents renewed their vows, we went to the Dollar Tree and picked up little "porcelain" baskets, hot glued silk roses inside and attached a tulle bag of candy. Quick and inexpensive favors!

I agree with Mike...watch what you buy there. I picked up a brand name toothpaste but the writing was not English. Before I could use it, I read an article saying that toiletries for third world countries are being sold in dollar stores. The toothpastes have an increased amount of flouride since their water isn't flouridated. That could get us in the U.S. sick.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely love it, the one over here closed down, but a while back they had 99 cent metal cat bowls so i picked them up. There was a euro store in Amsterdam and got cute souveniers for 3/4 half the stuff.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't go often but have found some great things. I bought all the stainless cat food dishes there.

I personally wouldn't buy food stuffs because I also know about the bad toothpaste and would wonder what else might be unsafe.

Stationery, wrapping paper, and that sort of thing is wonderful to be able to get at a decent price.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I don't go often but have found some great things. I bought all the stainless cat food dishes there.

I personally wouldn't buy food stuffs because I also know about the bad toothpaste and would wonder what else might be unsafe.

Stationery, wrapping paper, and that sort of thing is wonderful to be able to get at a decent price.
I've picked up some excellent deals in the dollar store, but after the reports about the toothpaste, I wouldn't buy anything I'm going to put in my mouth/swallow.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i've bought things at Dollar Tree & Dollar General - but i also really like BigLots. i bought most of the cat dishes there - just salad plates, $1 each; & they match my decor!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I found a cleaner for $1 at Dollar General that is great for getting black streaks off my car trailer.

I was on a dedicated Dollar General fleet for a while.

Watch where stuff comes from. They have found toothpaste and other things coming in that were not approved for US sale.
I saw something about that on tv one time Mike! I agree with you- most of the stuff there is great but there are a few things i will not buy from there, toothpaste being one of them as are some of the foods

A lot of the other stuff is pretty good though
I'm thinking about throwing a little halloween party for my family- so I might just have to make a few trips to Dollar Tree between now and then to stock up on decorations -they have tons!!!