XP,Vista, or Mac, which do you have?

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I just say "Yes"

I have an iMac at my desk, an Acer box running Vista integrated into my home entertainment center, a Toshiba notebook that dual boots Ubuntu Linux 8.04 and XP, and another Toshiba notebook supplied by my employer with Vista.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

Can I just say "Yes"

I have an iMac at my desk, an Acer box running Vista integrated into my home entertainment center, a Toshiba notebook that dual boots Ubuntu Linux 8.04 and XP, and another Toshiba notebook supplied by my employer with Vista.
I'd be interested to hear your comparative assessment of them, Mike.

For me, XP at home, and Windows 2000 in the office.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Vista, haven't had any trouble with it but next computer will be a Mac.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

XP at school [work] mac at home.
Me too! I do love my Mac though!

Originally Posted by Skippymjp

Can I just say "Yes"

Wow! Now that's quite a list.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically in my house there's a Linux comp (mine), and XP comp, a Vista comp (hate even touching it - so slow slooow for something with dual core and 2 gigs of ram), an old pc with win2k, and another with no OS at all. I only use mine, though - I want something that works, after all.

When we move and have more space I'll play around with the spares, BSD sounds like fun.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Vista at home on my laptop, XP at work, and at home, an old OLD Mac, we're talking 80's here. But it still works and I still occassionally fire that baby up for a game, so had to include it!

On our desktop computers, I think hubby either had or has one of everything!
I can never keep up.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I primarily use GNU/Linux; the distribution is Mepis, which is based on Debian.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I'd be interested to hear your comparative assessment of them, Mike.

For me, XP at home, and Windows 2000 in the office.
I have servers at large datacenters in Dallas that run a myriad of operating systems. Redhat, Fedora foir linux, CentOS, FreeBSD, Windows server 2003 in different iterations. enterprise, web server, etc.

For home PCS I use to use numerous o/s configs. Ubuntu, XP, Vista etc. But over time I've migrated everything at home to Vista.

Keep something in mind here. It's popular to hate vista right now
. So 99.9% of people complaining about it are doing so because their friends are. It's typical. Vista is good operating system and the ONLY time you'd have trouble would be if you were running really heavy games and even then most issues are resolved now after SP1.

THe thing to remember here is that Vista requires more resources. People all want the shiny looking desktops, the cool animations etc, that takes resources. The MINIMUM amount of RAM you should have is 2gb to run vista. With the dirst cheap price of RAM there's no excuse to be low unless your PC can't handle more. Considering the price of vista, the cost of ram is inconsequential.

The other point, is that if you have a 32 bit machine, there's virtually no reason to move to vista. That's the other problem. the whole point of vista is to take advantage of the 64 bit architecture. So people install the 32 bit and complain.... lol uh... if you're not going to use the 64 bit version just stay on XP.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have xandros on my laptop (its an eee
) and xp on the home computer. My bf is a mac fan.
I've never used vista, although I haven't heard entirely negative things about it. I doubt I'll get it though as I like to play pretty heavy games like the sims, and I'm happy with my current computer.