To much time watching the dog?

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty has the cutest habit of playing fetch. The best part? this was his idea. He's 7 months old and have a few toys about the size of a over sized cotton ball. He drops it at my feet, runs after it and brings it right back down. And when I'm not there? he plays with himself, grabbing it, tossing it into the air and running after it.

Does anyone else have a cat that does this? Everyone I've talked to thinks that he thinks he's a dog....Anyone have any idea why?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeas, mine girls do the same thing!
And didn't ya know??? Cats were the ones that taught dogs to play fetch!!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Fiona is my superstar! I should have called her Becks, after David Beckham.
I've seen her tap balls off her head and then run chasing after them.

She has extra claws too so her hand is like a mitt and can catch anything!

the cutest thing was watching my 8 year old lazy boy do this. He likes to flip his toys into the air and go running after them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Yeas, mine girls do the same thing!
And didn't ya know??? Cats were the ones that taught dogs to play fetch!!
lol that is so cool, its about time the dogs learned something from the cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

My Fiona is my superstar! I should have called her Becks, after David Beckham.
I've seen her tap balls off her head and then run chasing after them.

She has extra claws too so her hand is like a mitt and can catch anything!

the cutest thing was watching my 8 year old lazy boy do this. He likes to flip his toys into the air and go running after them.
hehe I would love to see that. We once had a dog who would do that but I haven't seen it with a cat before

rick68

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Miles used to fetch all the time. If I gave him one of the strips you twist off the top of a jug of milk, he would always jump up into my lap with it and drop it and look at me til I threw it. He would bat it around and eventually bring it back, or bat it under a door or appliance.

Now Zoe doesn't give him the chance to do much, she steals it, and eventually brings it to me to throw. She never saw Miles do it, so its cool that they both fetch on their own. She's much more relentless about it though. She will try to get me to do it 100 times if I don't stop throwing it.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My late cat Sebastian was a mega fetcher! And I think he learned it from my 12 year old fetch-o-holic dachshund!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tinker does this. But the problem is she'll only do it with very specific balls. So i buy them for her at Safeway. They're cheap, but she destroys them after we play fetch.

Observe

And here's the result an hour later

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, she sure pulverizes them!

My RB boy Wukong used to play fetch. Entirely his own idea, he couldn't have learnt it from anywhere because I don't have dogs and his mum Cassie didn't play fetch.

He'd drop his toy mouse on my lap, I'd throw it and he'd fetch it right back. If I wasn't watching him, the mouse would be dropped back into my lap again. If, however, I was watching him carry it back, he would drop it a distance away and sit there waiting for ME to go to HIM and retrieve the toy for another throw. Cats!