Any tips to..

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kick a colds butt!?!?!

I am starting my first OFFICAL week of college this week and have a nasty cold settling in , my lungs arnt all that great and i suffer bad asthma along with being prone to nasty chest infections which have landed me in hospital a couple of times.

I just took some shop brough cold and flu meds (yuck) and i have got vix on my chest and neck

I have no vitC drinks indoors and its like 1 22am here lol..

Any more tips to kick a cold before tuesday? lol
Jess x

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure what's available there, but I always start immediately on a decongestant, nasal and/or otherwise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vix is like that , but will look for a good old nasal spray

Jess x

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your best bet if it's to late to get anything at the store is a hot lemonade, hot water, lemon juice and either sugar or even better honey if you have it..
I have also used hot milk with honey to help me sleep when I have a cold..Anything that helps you relax and eases the congestion in your sinuses.

Hope you feel better soon...

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do sinus washes and stay away from refined sugar (can lower your immune response by 80%), take garlic capsules, extra vitamin C, and Cold FX. Works for me; my colds otherwise go into pneumonia and ear and sinus infections. These things knock it out or at least keep it at bay... good luck.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Do sinus washes and stay away from refined sugar (can lower your immune response by 80%), take garlic capsules, extra vitamin C, and Cold FX. Works for me; my colds otherwise go into pneumonia and ear and sinus infections. These things knock it out or at least keep it at bay... good luck.
Cold FX is wonderful.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best tip is to see the doctor. Last year for a few months when I was in between insurance coverage- i got a cold....and I thought I could treat it on my own and be fine (I also have asthma) but I wound up getting severe bronchitis and a plethra of other issues because I was stupid and didn't see a doctor when I should have.

Once I did get to the doctor though it wound up being a lot cheaper than I thought it would and she gave me tons of free samples and some good prescriptions so I got better. I did wind up loosing about 2 weeks of work though while I recovered (could have avoided all that had i gone in the first place
)

So definitely get to the doctor before it gets worse if you think it merits a trip- especially if you have asthma!

What inhaler do you use? My doctor recently switched me off of Albuterol and onto Xopenex http://www.xopenex.com/ (It works a lot better for me and doesn't raise my heart rate through the roof like others tend to do.)

When I went to see her while I was sick she told me to get some Mucinex DM (That it's just as good as most of the prescriptions out there,but a lot less expensive.) She also gave me prescriptions for H-C Tussive cough syrup and Tessalon Pearls (the generic). They both worked very well and didn't have any problems with my asthma. (If it comes down to going to the doctor, maybe you could ask if those might be a good match for you).

Also- if you have GERD or any sort of reflux- make sure that stays under control between medicine and diet- GERD left untreated can make your cough a lot worse.

I found a nice cup of decaf green tea with honey and lemon always helped my throat!

Dan Active is great too as far as immune systems go- maybe you could give it a try! It's really helped me

The Vicks Vapor Inhalers are AMAZING too - those always get me through the night when I have a stuffy nose and can't breathe!!! http://www.vicks.com/vapor-inhaler-info.php (If you have a walgreens drug store near you -their store brand is just as good!)

One thing I would say- I've never had any luck with Zicam....it doesn't work for me so i wouldn't recommend it.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also in the midst of a wicked cold... one week running. I had it when I went in last week to have a mole removed, so they knew i was sick... unfortunately, I still am. I've been doing all of it... tea, homeopathic and regular meds, you name it... I found one 'technique' that seems to be keeping the 'crud' out of my lungs so far.... it sounds gross and strange... but I've been laying flat on my back, no pillow, nothing... when I get up, the drainage is 'stuck' in my throat, and so far, I've been able to cough it out (or doing that nasty thing guys go when they 'conjure' up something to spit). I know, sounds REALLY gross, but so far, nothing's hit my lungs.

Mucinex is pretty good, but that's for when it hits your lungs...

I'm back at the doctors this Tuesday to get stitches out, so I'll ask what to do for myself then... if I'm not 100%... this thing is kicking my bee-hind... so I feel for ya...

Amanda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much for your tips.. i have a nasty throat this morning along with a blocked nose and heavy head. I am going to a local drug store early to get some meds you guys mentioned! So hopefully that helps

I take a blue , brown , purple , green inhaler

Jess x