*****KatKwery! - Sep 14*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, you have had your last Summer weekend. And now I hope you are all rested up and ready to take on marianjela. She has not won anything yet (except for using secret words!) Remember, there are eight members in the playoffs and everybody has a chance. I hate to once again remind people of the N. Y. Giants.

Marianjela used a bunch of secret words but the first was would. Yes, would! Now don't you wish you would have played? And Laureen227 used play. Not scoring points were brush, bed, and all.

Today's KatKwiz was about ferrets.

Go ahead, try it: Say a secret word and the worst you can do is win 700 points.

Have you actually ever seen a live ferret? What did not think the first time you either saw one, or saw one on TV (where ever)? Did you ever think you might be interested in having one as a pet? Have you ever posted in Pet Pics; why or why not? Finally, just as a wild guess, how many cat owners would you say there are per ferret owner?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, two people posted - and two people won - you're right Lee, that was easy.
Congratulations Laureen!

So - this was lucky number 13 for me, and 17 more days to go.... can she do it?

I guess no one was piqued by my challenge yesterday. Maybe I should've made the payoff bigger.

Oh well, the answer is "never" Never is the most frequently used secret word so far - and now the secret is out. Maybe I should've kept that little tidbit to myself. Could it be an advantage to know the word frequency of all the secret words to date? Just as it may or may not be an advantage with the letter frequency playing Wheel of Fortune....

Now on to the task at hand. Oh, but before I do - thanks for the points today Lee - for both KatKwiz and the Kwery. It point me over the 60,000 mark in my bank - or which over half were given to me by you! SO thank you very much! And I will now earn an extra 9 points tonight when my clock rolls over

OK, now on to the TCS Kwery. I have seen a real live ferret before. And boy am I glad you didnt ask if I'd seen a dead ferret (as opposed to live
) Sorry just had to say it - I guess I'm feeling kinda cheeky tonight, must be the impending STEELERS game. Woo Hoo. Lets go Black and Gold.

Sorry - sidetracked again.

Anyway, my husband's best friend used to have a couple ferrets. He would bring one of them over to taunt our RB cat, Mufasa. The first time I seen a ferret, my first impression was it was a giant, extra long rat.
But really they are animated little weasels. I dont remember their fur being a soft as a cats, or remember them smelling as pleasant, they have a musky odor. Some people probably cant stand the smell but it may just be an acquired thing. I suppose every animal has it's own scent. I know I always feel like running and washing my hands after petting a horse, but that doesnt mean I wouldnt want one if I lived on a farm. Also, my own dog has his own gross smell after he gets wet. Wet dog - ugh. And Newfs are notorious water dogs
To each their own. You have to pick your battles.

I do remember laughing at their antics though. Ferrets are fun to watch play.

The first time I held a ferret, when I was a teenager, I recall the little bugger tried to "weasel" it's way down the front of my shirt. I guess it is in their nature to burrow and hide. They seem to be very curious animals, and like to check things out. The one my hubby's friend was owned by had no fear. He didnt even think to back down from the cat, and i always worried our cat would hurt him by accident, but they never did.

My kids have asked me to have a ferret as a pet before, but with Joshua's compromised immune system and the risk of zoonotic diseases, we cant have animals outside of dogs or cats. But cancer aside, I would maybe consider having one if I thought the girls would take car of it and keep it's cage clean. I was always worried about Dennis' ferret biting me, but he was a pretty social ferret and never showed any aggression. Now his other ferret was a different story. I dont imagine they bite too hard, but I dont want to find out either.

Have I ever posted in pet pics? Hmmmm... that's a good question. I'm not sure. I cant remember. I dont really think so. I have been there a lot, love to see everyone's dogs and horses and sheep and...
the list goes on... it is interesting the things that pop up over there. The only thing I would've posted is a picture of Chewbacca, but I have is pic posted on my Cat Pages... Shhhh.... dont tell him that. Well... he does think he's a big lap cat.

So of course I just went over and did an advanced search. Turns out I was right, I havent posted a pic over in the Pet Pics Forum. Maybe I should change that sometime. Well, I tried to take a picture last night of the dog laying belly-side up next to Joshua who was also sleeping on his back, belly-side up, but by the time I grabbed my camera, of course they moved. :shrugs: Never fails.

Cat owner to Ferret owner ratio. Woo...that's a tough one. My first guess is 10:1. But I think that is being generous.

And of course, you know me... I cant answer a question guilt-fee without first doing a little bit of research, so according to the Humane Society of the United States, 38.4 million (nearly 34 percent) American households own one or more cats. Now according to another website, approximately 6 million ferrets are kept as pets in America. So six times less. I guess my 10:1 guess wasnt too far off after all. 38.4 million:6 million = 6.4:1 But then again I thought the ratio would be more spread. I if I had to guess higher or lower I would've erred on the wrong side. If any of that made any sense.

Oh well... good question Lee. Thanks again for all the points today! My interest rate is loving you!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ETA: it took me over an hour to type that and research the ferret thing. I cant believe no one beat me to it!

My guess is we will have a surge of members on here tomorrow morning! Lee your theory is looking more substantial minute to minute!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in my ferret research, I found it interesting that Ferrets arent legal in every state!

In California and Hawaii ferrets are illegal to own. I wonder why... but you know I will read on to find out.

They are also banned in Washington, DC; Ft. Worth, Beaumont and Dallas TX; Bloomington and Burnsville, MN; Tulsa, OK; Columbus, OH; London, York, and East York, Ontario, Canada; Puerto Rico. And they are banned on many military bases!

Also, although ferrets aren't actually illegal in New York City or Minneapolis, MN, they are not welcomed and may be confiscated or ticketed. Weird huh? Similarly, although it's legal to own ferrets in South Carolina, it's not legal to sell them there.

Lastly, although legal in New Jersey, Rhode Island and Illinois, permits or licenses are required in order to own them.

and something else I never thought of.... people can be allergic to ferrets, and just because you are allergic to cats, doesnt mean you will be to ferrets and vise versa.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Have you actually ever seen a live ferret? What did not think the first time you either saw one, or saw one on TV (where ever)? Did you ever think you might be interested in having one as a pet? Have you ever posted in Pet Pics; why or why not? Finally, just as a wild guess, how many cat owners would you say there are per ferret owner?
i think the only place i may have seen live ferrets was a zoo... or maybe a pet store? i know for certain i've never seen one where i could touch/handle him/her. Tink80's are really cute, tho! i've considered them as pets, but i love my cats - & i don't have room for any more furry creatures. i'd probably get another cat if i ever am at a place where i want more animals - i'm familiar w/them & their needs [as far as care is concerned] so it'd be easier. i've never posted in Pet Pics, because i only have cats. ferret owners vs cat owners - i'd say 1 ferret per 1000 cats!
thanks for the points, btw!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS - Lee, forgot to mention - the subject/title of this KatKwery has the wrong date on it

Today's the 14th!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OK, you have had your last Summer weekend. And now I hope you are all rested up and ready to take on marianjela. She has not won anything yet (except for using secret words!) Remember, there are eight members in the playoffs and everybody has a chance. I hate to once again remind people of the N. Y. Giants.

Marianjela used a bunch of secret words but the first was would. Yes, would! Now don't you wish you would have played? And Laureen227 used play. Not scoring points were brush, bed, and all.

Alright, Im back... Yippy skippy way to go... lucky me.. Okay lets see if I can get back in the groove a things.

What did not think?? That doesn't make any sence... maybe thats the point! The first time I saw one I thought it was the cutest most adorable thing I ever saw!! Almost scary until they climb up you and look at you with those big eyes! Then you're in love!! I dont really care for the smell but I have a feeling that most ferrets dont have that odor, at least I hope not! I would love to have a ferret as a pet but it would need to be litter box trained because I have a thing, I dont like to keep things caged up! I had one of my threads moved to pet pics, does that count as posting it there?? It was a totally cute picture of the Prairie dog I rescued and rehomed! He was missing a claw and had some blood on him but still totally adorable!! If I had more pictures to post in there I would put a thread up but normally I just reply and comment on them! I would say probably about 1/3 to 1/2 of cat owners have a ferret also! We're good people and animals like us!

Good job Marienjela! You're kicking some BOOTY!!! Mine mainly but Im okay with that! So kick some more booty!!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So are we going back in time?? So we have more time to catch up?? Its the 14th today so that date thing is all screwy! Hopefully the katkwiz and katkwery points still count!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, Marianjela, you've posted more in this KatKwery than I have in the last three!
You're awesome.

And, you all are spot on for your theory. I hardly ever do KatKwery, or heck, even sign on to TCS over the weekend. I do most of my stuff at my office- before work, on break, or lunch. Now is before, but not much! Gotta make it fast!
This isn't because I don't have a computer at home, but because I spend all day on my computer at work, that by the time I get home I avoid it like a vampire to holy water!
Sometimes I pop on, though.

On with today's! You bet I've seen live ferrets, even though they're illegal here in CA. Shh...
I used to work at Petco, and we sell ferret stuff (go figure!), so people would bring their ferrets in all the time. And, a friend had two. They died in an apartment fire early this year though...
That was so sad...

Hmm... What did I think... It was so long ago I don't remember! Knowing me, it was most likely "HOW CUTE!!"
And yes, I would definitely like one as a pet. I have chinchillas, they use a lot of the same stuff! But, I don't for a few reasons. LIke I said, they're illegal here, which of course is a big one. But also, I have enough of a zoo. To be honest, I'm trying to cut back on animals, not add to them!

Yup, I've posted in pet pics, a few times. Though, there isn't the response over there as there is in Cat Pics, so I don't do it very often. Some people get lots of responses, guess I haven't earned that prestige yet!
I've posted my dogs and my chinchillas. And of course, responded to other peoples's darling pets!

Why I have done that? Well, because I like sharing my pets and I like other people sharing their pets with us! There's an awful lot of cuteness and love, makes a day even better!

As a WILD guess, I'd have to have guess maybe 1 ferret owner for 25 cat owners. Higher if you include people like my brother that are feeding a stray and kind of consider it "their" cat. I know marianjela did a lot of research (you are awesome, I've said that before!
), but I noticed that it is 38.4 mil cat households, therefore owners. Where as 6 million ferrets are kept as pets. Knowing that most people with ferrets probably have more than one, I'd feel safe guessing only 4 million people have ferrets. And, it's likely that the Humane Society's stats only considers OWNERS as those that actually own the pet, NOT people like my brother (and, honestly, my family way before my time!) who just feed a stray or more. So, up the cat owners, and decrease the ferret owners... Maybe 1:25 is high, but I'd say between 1:15 and 1:25.
The world may never know for sure!

Ugh, so much for making this quick! I have GOT to get started on work!!