Returning from evacuation...

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally made it to work today. I had to take a very long way out of the way to get there for the flooding. When I got there I asked my boss if my coworker was coming in today. My coworker and I get along really well.

Then she told me that on their way back from evacuating gustav, they got in a horrible accident. My coworker's niece passed away in the wreck. The funeral is tomorrow, so durring this time if you can keep her family in your thoughts. I feel so bad for her. I know her niece was very young. She will be back to work on Wed.

Be safe all

thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got more details about the wreck that I am sure you all don't want to know. They were forced to evacuate in a car that had seatbelts for 5 people, and there were 4 adults and 3 children in the car. The three girls weren't buckled, but the driver (the girls' mom) and my coworker were buckled in. The people in the back seat weren't buckled. It is so sad.

The girl that passed was the eldest of the daughters. One of the other girls got her face scraped up pretty badly. The other daughter had just been hit by a car a couple weeks before Gustav, she was fine. The mother is very sad and hurt by this. She feels like it is all her fault since she was driving.

She had hit a dip in the road, and got pulled to the side. She overcorrected and almost hit a car head on, then she overcorrected the other way, and hit a log smashing the front tire under the car, then got pulled into the side of the road wich caused the car to flip end over end.

The girl passed instantly. I ask that everyone keep their opinions of the non buckled children to themselves. They are hurting at this time, and wish they were buckled now. Hind-sight is always 20-20. What is important right now is that the family is hurting. I feel also that things should have been different, but saying that the mother should have had her children buckled (as true as it is) won't bring the girl back. She knows what happend, and is blaming herself. It is just sad all the way around. I feel so bad for my coworker and her family. Just please keep thinking of them.

Thank you.

be safe.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyRage

I got more details about the wreck that I am sure you all don't want to know. They were forced to evacuate in a car that had seatbelts for 5 people, and there were 4 adults and 3 children in the car. The three girls weren't buckled, but the driver (the girls' mom) and my coworker were buckled in. The people in the back seat weren't buckled. It is so sad.

The girl that passed was the eldest of the daughters. One of the other girls got her face scraped up pretty badly. The other daughter had just been hit by a car a couple weeks before Gustav, she was fine. The mother is very sad and hurt by this. She feels like it is all her fault since she was driving.

She had hit a dip in the road, and got pulled to the side. She overcorrected and almost hit a car head on, then she overcorrected the other way, and hit a log smashing the front tire under the car, then got pulled into the side of the road wich caused the car to flip end over end.

The girl passed instantly. I ask that everyone keep their opinions of the non buckled children to themselves. They are hurting at this time, and wish they were buckled now. Hind-sight is always 20-20. What is important right now is that the family is hurting. I feel also that things should have been different, but saying that the mother should have had her children buckled (as true as it is) won't bring the girl back. She knows what happend, and is blaming herself. It is just sad all the way around. I feel so bad for my coworker and her family. Just please keep thinking of them.

Thank you.

be safe.
That is so very sad, where did the wreck happen at?

I am sending prayers from Mississippi for your co-worker and her entire family.

And I agree with you, the children should have been buckled in, even if they had to double up on them.

It is still very sad.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is very very sad , the poor family

Prayers and vibes for the family and the poor girl who died

Jess x

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They evacuated to lafayette La, and were somewhere between there and Houma when it happened.

Thank you all for taking some time out to feel for these people that you all don't know. I feel so bad for my coworker. She and I get along really well. This has changed her I am sure. To see something like what she saw to someone that she loved very much, and so young. I think the girl was 11 years old. I am just hoping that the family can cope and move forward and still live happily. I can't imagine what the mom is feeling.

Thank you again

be safe

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyRage

They evacuated to lafayette La, and were somewhere between there and Houma when it happened.

Thank you all for taking some time out to feel for these people that you all don't know. I feel so bad for my coworker. She and I get along really well. This has changed her I am sure. To see something like what she saw to someone that she loved very much, and so young. I think the girl was 11 years old. I am just hoping that the family can cope and move forward and still live happily. I can't imagine what the mom is feeling.

Thank you again

be safe
Please let your co worker know that we have been thinking about her and her entire family.

Where do you work anyways? I have a brother and 3 nephews in Houma, that is where I grew up also.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work at It's Fashion. It's in Lynn Park by Family Dollar. It used to be a Cato store.

be safe.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked with her yesterday. I waited until we were closed to offer my condolenses... didn't wanna make her sad durring work. She was very touched by all of you guys thinking of her and her family durring this time. She wanted me to thank you for all your prayers and well wishes. It has been hard, but they are moving forward.
thank you all again.

Be safe.