Guitar techs

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A guitar tech, as you may know, is a person who tunes and maintains guitars for a band. Guitars go out of tune. The old joke is that guitarists are destined to spend half their time tuning, and half their time playing out of tune.

And, on another forum, a member posted a picture of a girl I assume is his daughter tuning his guitar, and referred to her as his "guitar tech."

So, I got to thinking about it. In all seriousness, I wonder how many guitar techs on the road ARE female? I mean, they have a much better ear and can hear frequencies we guys can't, even if we weren't riding motorcycles, driving trucks, shooting guns, and listening to rock music at battlefield decibel levels!

Ladies, any ideas?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to be a guitar tech! I remember thinking that when I saw Springsteen on his acoustic solo tour years ago. It was a big job, keeping up with the guitars he was using, and absolutely critical, of course. And I've got my own battery-operated pitchfinder, too! Have tuner, will travel!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

A guitar tech, as you may know, is a person who tunes and maintains guitars for a band. Guitars go out of tune. The old joke is that guitarists are destined to spend half their time tuning, and half their time playing out of tune.

And, on another forum, a member posted a picture of a girl I assume is his daughter tuning his guitar, and referred to her as his "guitar tech."

So, I got to thinking about it. In all seriousness, I wonder how many guitar techs on the road ARE female? I mean, they have a much better ear and can hear frequencies we guys can't, even if we weren't riding motorcycles, driving trucks, shooting guns, and listening to rock music at battlefield decibel levels!

Ladies, any ideas?
I didn't go to school to be one but I definatly know how to tune/repair one.

I can tune one, file the frets, reset keys... not much I can't do.. but I don't think I'd want to do it for a living

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'd love to be a guitar tech! I remember thinking that when I saw Springsteen on his acoustic solo tour years ago. It was a big job, keeping up with the guitars he was using, and absolutely critical, of course. And I've got my own battery-operated pitchfinder, too! Have tuner, will travel!
You would use a Korg rack-mounted tuner, I'm sure. Your little tuner can't come anywhere near as close.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my dad owns 9 or 10 guitars... he doesn't have a tech, tho - he tunes them himself!
i know how to tune & the pitches even tho i don't play - years of living w/a guitarman!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Mother and SIL can play the guitar quite well, me only a little, but both my Mom and SIL tune all the guitars.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John Petrucci of Dream Theater had his wife act as substitute guitar tech for a while. She is also a guitarist and knows how to do it all. And I think Slash of Guns n' Roses used to have a female guitar tech too.

As for me, I tune my own guitars and repair all my equipment. And I was also the guitar tech for one of my friends. He is in a local band and for a while, he couldn't afford to pay anyone to do it so he asked me to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I'm a lot better at set-up than playing. Lots.