*****KatKwery! - Sep 13 - only 18 days left*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is that I would hate to be in the playoffs with marianjela. She won again and this time she was the only winner and used four of the secret words.

Marianjela won 700 points for using the word but. But, she started a sentence with But. Should her grammar count? No other winners today.

Looked, course, moderator, and mind had no winners.

Today's KatKwiz was about using the advanced search function.

It was also about buying things for your cats, so what is the very last thing you bought for your cat(s)? What is the most expensive thing you have ever bought for your cat(s)? Have you ever bought something for your cat(s) only to find that neither you or your cat(s) ever paid any attention to it? Have you ever started a thread to announce to the world that you have bought something for your cat(s)? Finally, with only 18 days to go, do you think I can quit asking questions about the Advanced Search Function?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

It was also about buying things for your cats, so what is the very last thing you bought for your cat(s)? What is the most expensive thing you have ever bought for your cat(s)? Have you ever bought something for your cat(s) only to find that neither you or your cat(s) ever paid any attention to it? Have you ever started a thread to announce to the world that you have bought something for your cat(s)? Finally, with only 18 days to go, do you think I can quit asking questions about the Advanced Search Function?
the last thing i bought for them [aside from food, which i got today] was a play tunnel at IKEA. the most expensive thing [again, inside cats] was the tall cat tree - i got it on eBay for $71. it's a navy blue Armarkat tree - they really like it, too! they've always been interested in everything i've gotten for them - at least, initially! i started threads [in furpix, naturally!] when i got the navy tree & also when i got the light blue tree, as well as when they got the whale scratcher. it would seem to me that most people who participate in KatKwiz or KatKwery know how to use the advanced search by now. i use it everyday, because that's the way i choose to locate the day's Kwery.
i specified purchasing things for the inside cats, but i've gotten things specifically for the outside cats, too [ferals]. they have a doghouse - & today i got straw for the doghouse. oh, & i bought a fence this summer! true, not just for them, but they seem to appreciate it - & it's more expensive than anything else i've ever gotten that could be considered 'for the cats'.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Marianjela won 700 points for using the word but. But, she started a sentence with But. Should her grammar count? No other winners today.
Well, I deserved that one.
BUT, I'll take the win nonetheless!
Thank you very much - again - Lee!

As for being the only one to win... I dont know how much skill that required since there didnt seem to be much participation yesterday - errrr... today. Maybe everyone is out trying to enjoy the last remaining days of summer. Although here in NW PA, it's a rainy dreary day, just perfect for curling up on the couch with the laptop.

Now on to the KatKwery... The last thing I bought for my cats was food! what else? I have 3.5 resident cats and a foster and her 6 kittens. As you can imagine, we go through a lot of food and kitty litter.

Aside from the essentials though, the last thing we bought for the cats were some toys. My daughter likes to spend her allowance on the pets, and she purchased a mouse with catnip and a bag of plastic balls that we adults step on later
The kittens love the balls though, with their little balls inside. Oh yeah, fun to watch them scurry around on the floor, but they might be more enjoyable (for the humans) without the noise packed inside them

The most expensive thing I have ever bought for the cats is their cat condo/ kitty tree - whatever you want to call it. The adult cats dont really pay it much attention, but the kittens love to use it as their stalking grounds, hiding in the nooks and crannies.

As for using it as a scratching post, Roly would prefer to use a cheap old box over the carpeted surface. I have even tried buying him the corrugated box things you can get to lay on the floor. There is just something about an empty box that attracts the cats and lures them and taunts them until they shred it to pieces! The most expensive thing I bought my dog was possibly his bed, which the cats probably use more than he does! He prefers to lay in front of the living room door as a draft stopper which suits the cats just fine since they hijack his bed. And it's a bonus since they all fit on his single cushion. I guess it was meant to be - better than me having multiple cat cozies sprawled all around the house. Although, they sleep where they darn well please really.

If I have ever bought something for the cats that neither of us ever paid attention to it - I never noticed it.
No really. When we buy toys for the cats, they always get use. Especially in the beginning when we first bring them home. The kids love to play with the cats with their toys. We've bought feathers on a stick, gloves with long fingers and pom poms on the fingertips, weeble wobble boxing dummies, balls in a track... they are spoiled. Just like the kids, toys are great fun when you first buy them, but the novelty soon wears off. As I type, my youngest daughter is in the dining room constructing a play house for the kittens. It's made out of a small box, she cut holes in it, stuffed a piece of material in it and hung a piece of string in one of the openings. It'll be in the garbage next week no doubt, but they will have fun with it today.

I dont think I ever started a thread to announce the purchase of anything for my cats. I dont think I actually started many threads here on TCS at all really, relatively. But no, I dont remember starting any threads or posting about anything I bought. Well, I do remember posting about possibly buying a new kitty litter box system though, it wasnt a thread I started though. I was doing some research into whether it was worth buying. In the end I didnt end up getting it. I cant even remember what forum we were in. I have read threads about other peoples purchases and reviews though. I especially paid attention to the thread on grooming and made mental notes on the brushes, combs, slickers and rakes members were using and had success with. I will be watching to see how you like your Furminator Lee. Although I do have long-haired cats and they do shed their fair share, they are not the biggest shedding offenders in my house. As you can imagine, Chewbacca, my 100 pound bag of fur is the biggest offender! With 5 children and him lounging around and depositing hair daily, we vacuum regularly on a daily basis, so we dont notice cat hair as much. But when they are on my lap and I pet them, I do notice hair flying around more and it is aggravating and frustrating and my constant reminder that they need a brushing.

As for the advanced search: when I see the KatKwiz today, I knew immediately to go to the Advanced Search page. I entered your username, and keyword "bought" then changed the dates to list within the last 2 weeks and seen your post on the furminator. However someone had already beaten me to it. But I had to check anyway just in case
I suppose someone could have found the answer by just browsing through the posts you've made int he past 2 weeks, but using the search function was a lot quicker and more convenient. I know I have the search function down pat - at least I think I do, but you never know when new member will come along and your question may help them, so ask away Lee!

Well, once again, I have gone on enough.... Good luck everyone, and thanks again Lee, Persi, Alley & DW!!!

PS - I have been doing my homework over the past couple days, gearing up for the playoffs and the anticipated Superbowl. I'll donate today's points (from yesterday's Kwery) to the first person who can tell me what the most popular secret word has been this Kwery season. I suppose the advantage will go to whoever actually reads through my posts

Thanks again Lee!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

. As for being the only one to win... I dont know how much skill that required since there didnt seem to be much participation yesterday - errrr... today. Maybe everyone is out trying to enjoy the last remaining days of summer.
I do happen to be on here but that does not mean anything other than I am reading your post. Or does it?

I have watched the number of active users drop steadily since the start of summer (and this is officially the last weekend of summer). I am sorry I did not do this the last 2 years for comparison. But I have also noticed the amount of activity significantly drops on weekends. This suggests to me that people are more actively involved outside OR, perhaps you think I mentioned it in jest, that a lot of our members do not have their own computers at home and use the one at work.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do happen to be on here but that does not mean anything other than I am reading your post. Or does it?

I have watched the number of active users drop steadily since the start of summer (and this is officially the last weekend of summer). I am sorry I did not do this the last 2 years for comparison. But I have also noticed the amount of activity significantly drops on weekends. This suggests to me that people are more actively involved outside OR, perhaps you think I mentioned it in jest, that a lot of our members do not have their own computers at home and use the one at work.
I noticed the drop myself, which surprises me, because I think the KatKwery is much easier to win now - than it was in the beginning of the game. As I said before, over the last couple days I have gone through every_single KatKwery and KatKwiz (where the Kwery was piggybacked with the Kwiz) in the beginning there were 5 words, but only one winner was chosen. And the words were more challenging and we would sometimes go days without a winner, where sometimes the winner would win 2800 or 3500 points in one fell swoop! Then after your close call and hospitalization where you scared the bejeezus out of everyone
you allowed up to 5 winners per day to try and catch up for lost time. Since that point only one day ever went unwon, and the very next day TWO people won 1400 points a piece. My point is... in the beginning, the jackpot sometimes was quite large, but it was way harder to win, and now it is smaller, but we usually have several winners a day. It is easier to win since the odds are stacked in our favor.

Well, I have no doubt that some members are visiting TCS from work and perhaps that is why the weekends are slower. Perhaps people dont have as much time to surf around when they are home with family. It only makes sense considering there have been so few users participating since yesterday's Kwery.

I wonder if anyone is thinking since we are so close to the end that it is pointless, but i have to say, that couldnt be further from the truth. Besides the fact that you can win 700 points per pop - regardless of the playoffs and superbowl, it has been proven by both Yam and myself, that with consecutive wins one can quickly climb up the ladder!

Oh well Lee, I guess your "theory" just might be validated come tomorrow. If today's kwery doesnt get many answers tonight, then suddenly everyone pipes in Monday morning....

I guess time will tell...

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

All I can say is that I would hate to be in the playoffs with marianjela. She won again and this time she was the only winner and used four of the secret words.

Looked, course, moderator, and mind had no winners.

Today's KatKwiz was about using the advanced search function.

I am always buying toys for my girls but the last big thing I bought was the cat tree. They love it!! They fight to see who gets to sleep in the top perch! The first one there is usually the winner.