Another pet food recall

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yet another ... look close at the brands they seem at least to me are the farm store and big box grocery

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hm, the Everson plant is shut down. Too many issues and not enough business. There goes a lot of jobs...

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Special Kitty is on there, I know I have read on the forums here some people feed that.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BTW - am I just stupid - or blind?

The recall notice says this:

Many of the brands involved in the recall are national brands produced at multiple facilities. A chart for all products is below. For example, PEDIGREE® is manufactured in numerous facilities throughout the country, and Everson represents a very small portion of the manufacturing base – 2.7 percent of total PEDIGREE® production.
Yet I see no chart with the list of affected brands. ????????????????

Laurie

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was posted a few days ago. As I said then, Everson is completely shut down now. No more pet food will be coming out of that plant unless someone purchases it from Mars.

What you don't know though, is that all the plants pretty much have small recalls all the time. Usually the stuff isn't on shelves yet. These recalls can be from mold/fungus, salmonella, or worry about foreign objects in food. They really flip over glass, even when it's no where near open food - recently people where fired over an incident here. Glass in a loading bay (where the trailers are backed in to load up the pallets).

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I've merged all threads into one thread on this topic so if you had one, it should be included here.

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the same company that makes Nutro.

This is from aboutcats.com

Nutro Pet Foods Not on the List
It should be noted that Nutro Pet Foods, the target of increasing consumer scrutiny <http://cats.about.com/b/2008/04/25/nutro-pet-food-under-consumer-scrutiny.htm> , appears nowhere on the list. I couldn't help but notice that the some of the symptoms indicated in this press release are very similar to those who have reported their cats and dogs became ill after eating Nutro pet foods. (Mars Inc. purchased Nutro Product Inc. in May of 2007.) I'll also mention that after considerable deliberation following a surge of consumer comments on my previous blog <http://cats.about.com/b/2008/08/18/nutro-pet-food-concerns-mount.htm> , I removed Nutro Cat and Kitten Foods from my top picks lists of recommended food for cats. Like other responsible cat cargivers, I'll be watching closely for further information from Mars Petcare and/or the FDA.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pearce1974

This is the same company that makes Nutro.

This is from aboutcats.com

Nutro Pet Foods Not on the List
It should be noted that Nutro Pet Foods, the target of increasing consumer scrutiny <http://cats.about.com/b/2008/04/25/nutro-pet-food-under-consumer-scrutiny.htm> , appears nowhere on the list. I couldn't help but notice that the some of the symptoms indicated in this press release are very similar to those who have reported their cats and dogs became ill after eating Nutro pet foods. (Mars Inc. purchased Nutro Product Inc. in May of 2007.) I'll also mention that after considerable deliberation following a surge of consumer comments on my previous blog <http://cats.about.com/b/2008/08/18/nutro-pet-food-concerns-mount.htm> , I removed Nutro Cat and Kitten Foods from my top picks lists of recommended food for cats. Like other responsible cat cargivers, I'll be watching closely for further information from Mars Petcare and/or the FDA.
Note you are discussing something WAY off topic... I( would highly suggest actually reading correct info and proper info not stuff relateing back to site s run by or for lawyers

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom had a bag of the recalled Special Kitty kitten food, and when she took it back, the returns people took the bag back and gave her her money, but the shelves were still full of bags with the same recall numbers-

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Note you are discussing something WAY off topic... I( would highly suggest actually reading correct info and proper info not stuff relateing back to site s run by or for lawyers
Sharky, please see my PM. I don't understand how Franny Syufy has anything to do with lawyers. As far as I know, she and her forum are made of cat lovers just like us. Since I had an experience myself with my cat and his urine output with Nutro, when she reported what she did, it was a red flag with me, and just like everyone here wanted to post.

I don't see how my post is any more off-topic than anyone else's are we are all cat lovers and just want the best for our babies.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
her article is linked to a ?? able site that are run for or by laywers ...

Unlike the previous recall this one is limited to one plant making only certain foods .. ie stick to what it is not what it is not... if you find a problem with a specific food then post it seprately... Mars makes alot of brands

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120438
this link was written at the Big recall it may help you

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

her article is linked to a ?? able site that are run for or by laywers ...

Unlike the previous recall this one is limited to one plant making only certain foods .. ie stick to what it is not what it is not... if you find a problem with a specific food then post it seprately... Mars makes alot of brands

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120438
this link was written at the Big recall it may help you
Thanks, Sharky,

You are my authority when it comes to cat food. Thanks for correcting me, and please excuse my hypersensitivity.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that consumeraffairs.com website is run by lawyers - these particular attorneys seem to enjoy looking for what they feel are deep pockets to sue. I'd pay a heck of a lot more attention to it were it a .org or a .edu or even a .gov site. In fact, at this point, if consumeraffairs.com says something is bad, it's almost a given that it's probably a well run large company under attack - since well run large companies are assumed to actually have some financial reserves. Just my opinion.

Also, Nutro addresses the issue itself at http://www.nutroproducts.com/quality_facts.html.

We all care about our cats, and it's very easy to get spooked by internet comments - but I really think it's also important to double check the information and its source - as well as checking with your own petcare professional if you have questions.