TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Anyone staying up for Ike?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone staying up for Ike?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Anyone else still up with their eyes glued to their tv's/internet to see what is going to happen with Ike? It looks like the eye is getting close to hitting. its up to 110 mph already and 111 would make it a Cat 3 I've been watching www.stormpulse.com to see where its going and kind of seeing what time it might hit. I hope that all of you down there that are waiting it out are staying safe and out of harms way.
post #2 of 26
I have been tracking it. I hope everyone will be ok.
post #3 of 26
Yep, I'll be watching and praying for the people. Actually, I am watching the coverage on CNN right now.
post #4 of 26
lol yup I'm watching it.

I've got over 400 servers strewn out in datacenters all over texas. Granted mostly in Dallas but some in Houston. so it's an interest.

I've been watching CNN. they're doing it live.
post #5 of 26
According to that current track, it's going to go east of us, but directly over my house in Arkansas.
post #6 of 26
Where in arkansas?
post #7 of 26
The nearest town is Waldron, about 50 miles south of Fort Smith, just off highway 71.

We built it as a weekend cabin, then ended up moving in. It's out in the woods, almost a mile off 71 on a dirt road.

We call it our "monument to close-enough carpentry."

I just checked the radar, and the rain from Ike is about 100 miles from us.
post #8 of 26
Ahh. wow that would be nice!

My mother is in Hot Springs but I don't THINK ti's going to hit there..... I hope
post #9 of 26
We lived in Hot Springs for several years, about 1987-1992, give or take. That when we built the cabin, then moved out there in '92.

If the center of Ike passes through Waldron, Hot Springs will get plenty!
post #10 of 26
Prayers for you all
Jess x
post #11 of 26
Sending vibes that all humans and animals emerge from this storm without harm.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
We lived in Hot Springs for several years, about 1987-1992, give or take. That when we built the cabin, then moved out there in '92.

If the center of Ike passes through Waldron, Hot Springs will get plenty!
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. and to top it off, here's what happens tomorrow

My sister and brother inlaw, two aunts, one niece and one nephew are all flying into Little Rock to spend the week in Hot SPrings.

yikes!

I cannot stand arkansas. not because of the people, but the humidity. It's almost as bad as Houston. If I were offered 150,000 per year I would turn the job down if it were in Houston. I simply can't stand humidity.

I was raised in Montana, born in Arizona, lived in San Diego and Thousand Oaks, lived Utah (ogden) and am back in ARizona. I spent 4 miserable years in Houston working in the oil and gas industry (IT stuff), then my mother had brain surgery so I moved to hot springs for a couple years to help her back to normal and spend time with her. Last november moved back to az and I will never move to a humid community again.

Of all the places I lived, San Diego is BY FAR the best. I had a house on mission bay. We didn't use the A/C or the heat because the ocean breeze kept it almost perfect inside. That's the life!
post #13 of 26
Yeah, but who can afford to live in SD?

I grew up in Denver. Then my mother moved to Arkansas, so I know what you mean about the humidity. But it's something you CAN get used to. However, unless you're in the health field, you'd never get $150K for any job there. Great place to live, terrible place to make a living.

I think Ike will just be a few hours of heavy rain and wind gusts in Hot Springs.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnoc View Post
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. and to top it off, here's what happens tomorrow

My sister and brother inlaw, two aunts, one niece and one nephew are all flying into Little Rock to spend the week in Hot SPrings.

yikes!

I cannot stand arkansas. not because of the people, but the humidity. It's almost as bad as Houston. If I were offered 150,000 per year I would turn the job down if it were in Houston. I simply can't stand humidity.

I was raised in Montana, born in Arizona, lived in San Diego and Thousand Oaks, lived Utah (ogden) and am back in ARizona. I spent 4 miserable years in Houston working in the oil and gas industry (IT stuff), then my mother had brain surgery so I moved to hot springs for a couple years to help her back to normal and spend time with her. Last november moved back to az and I will never move to a humid community again.

Of all the places I lived, San Diego is BY FAR the best. I had a house on mission bay. We didn't use the A/C or the heat because the ocean breeze kept it almost perfect inside. That's the life!
I cannot believe your postings. They are so insensitive. First you say that you are glued to the TV and then you go on to talk about AK, Houston and all of TX, Odgen, UT You just bad-mouthed one or our largest states, a dixie state, and one of the best Mormon cities in UT? Can you offend anyone else? So, you live in AZ but your favorite place to live would be San Diego. Please don't come back because, if you do, we are sure to have an earthquake here after you rented because you couldn't buy.

I have never written anything like this before (so you mods can delete it if you think that I am over the top) but I just could not believe how you took a tragedy and turned it into your own soapbox about where you cannot stand to live.

I apologize to any TCS members I may have offended. mrblanche - I have never been to AK and I always wanted to go. Maybe someday.
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by butzie View Post
I cannot believe your postings. They are so insensitive. First you say that you are glued to the TV and then you go on to talk about AK, Houston and all of TX, Odgen, UT You just bad-mouthed one or our largest states, a dixie state, and one of the best Mormon cities in UT? Can you offend anyone else? So, you live in AZ but your favorite place to live would be San Diego. Please don't come back because, if you do, we are sure to have an earthquake here after you rented because you couldn't buy.

I have never written anything like this before (so you mods can delete it if you think that I am over the top) but I just could not believe how you took a tragedy and turned it into your own soapbox about where you cannot stand to live.

I apologize to any TCS members I may have offended. mrblanche - I have never been to AK and I always wanted to go. Maybe someday.
Rosemary, I think you're over reacting. I don't think the poster was being insensitive at all, it was just a natural tangent that happens in any thread. We all do it, and it doesn't mean he isn't still worried about what is going on with Ike.

He didn't bad mouth any state that I can tell, especially not UT...he just said he lived there but he preferred San Diego to any place he's lived. He said he didn't like Houston and AK because of the humidity. That isn't bad mouthing the state, that's just stating a preference.

I know you're probably upset about the hurricane and it may have made you super-sensitive. I just don't think he meant it the way you took it.
post #16 of 26
My sister and her family are in Houston. I talked to her yesterday morning and they were not going to evacuate. I was thinking about them all night and I hope to hear from her soon.
post #17 of 26
Everyone I've heard from down there said they came through just fine.

But then...I wouldn't hear if they hadn't would I?
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by butzie View Post
I cannot believe your postings. They are so insensitive. First you say that you are glued to the TV and then you go on to talk about AK, Houston and all of TX, Odgen, UT You just bad-mouthed one or our largest states, a dixie state, and one of the best Mormon cities in UT? Can you offend anyone else? So, you live in AZ but your favorite place to live would be San Diego. Please don't come back because, if you do, we are sure to have an earthquake here after you rented because you couldn't buy.

I have never written anything like this before (so you mods can delete it if you think that I am over the top) but I just could not believe how you took a tragedy and turned it into your own soapbox about where you cannot stand to live.

I apologize to any TCS members I may have offended. mrblanche - I have never been to AK and I always wanted to go. Maybe someday.
Err, i said I didn't like the humidity. by the way AK is Alaska.

And that's what I meant about Houston. I also made it clear it wasn't the people it was the humidity in arkansas which is the whole point of what I said.

referring to other places was because it showed I wasn't use to the humidty. there is none in those other places. Arkansas and Houston are the only two places that have it bad and that was my point.

And I can also tell you that those dixies you refer to are CONSTANTLY complaining about the humidity .

But I certainly wasn't referring to the people, the way of life of the actual locations. I hate humidity. That's all. If Houston had weather like Austin I'd love it there.

As for Utah? I liked the weather there. coming from Montana it was nice to still have seasons but not stifling cold. the temp fluxuates from 20 below to over 100 and a 120 degree swing in temp is simply too much for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Yeah, but who can afford to live in SD?

I grew up in Denver. Then my mother moved to Arkansas, so I know what you mean about the humidity. But it's something you CAN get used to. However, unless you're in the health field, you'd never get $150K for any job there. Great place to live, terrible place to make a living.

I think Ike will just be a few hours of heavy rain and wind gusts in Hot Springs.
Yeah SD is getting bad, but it's not as bad as it could be. I owned my house there, and when I left I rented it out instead of dumping it thinking I'd return. that just didn't happen.

I think I'm WAY more succeptable to humidity than some. I can't get use to it. 4 years in Houston made that pretty clear, and the other couple years in Hot Springs. I ended up not going outside unless I had to.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Everyone I've heard from down there said they came through just fine.

But then...I wouldn't hear if they hadn't would I?
I talked to my mom this morning and both aunts (one was in odessa tx and the other in Phoenix) had their flights canceled due to the hurricane.
post #20 of 26
Hot Springs' airport is no joy to land at in the best of weather.
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnoc View Post
I think I'm WAY more succeptable to humidity than some. I can't get use to it. 4 years in Houston made that pretty clear, and the other couple years in Hot Springs. I ended up not going outside unless I had to.
if you think Houston's bad, try south Louisiana [where my mom's from & where most of her family still lives]. it's worse than Houston, humidity-wise!

thankfully, [for me & mine] Ike's bypassed where my family lives [unlike Rita, which hit me & mine much harder than Katrina did]. most of them live in the Lake Charles area. they'll get some major rain, but they're used to that.
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by butzie View Post
I cannot believe your postings. They are so insensitive. First you say that you are glued to the TV and then you go on to talk about AK, Houston and all of TX, Odgen, UT You just bad-mouthed one or our largest states, a dixie state, and one of the best Mormon cities in UT? Can you offend anyone else? So, you live in AZ but your favorite place to live would be San Diego. Please don't come back because, if you do, we are sure to have an earthquake here after you rented because you couldn't buy.

I have never written anything like this before (so you mods can delete it if you think that I am over the top) but I just could not believe how you took a tragedy and turned it into your own soapbox about where you cannot stand to live.

I apologize to any TCS members I may have offended. mrblanche - I have never been to AK and I always wanted to go. Maybe someday.
I didn't find anything offensive in what Fastnoc posted. I have lived in 3 States in my life and some were better than others. People have their preferences on where they prefer to live and why they don't like some States or places they lived. Thats what makes people so interesting is these little bits of information you can share with each other.

We all are concerned for those who were in the Path of hurricane Ike and my thoughts and prayers go out to these people.
post #23 of 26
I was a little puzzled by the post, too. Maybe someone needs to get a little more sleep?

I like Arkansas (abbreviated AR, by the way) just fine, fine enough to still have a house and land there. I've been to CA many times, and I don't have any use for it, but that's why not everyone lives in the same place!

I've never been anywhere that didn't have its good and bad points. I grew up in CO, but I'd never move back there unless I could find a job where I could stay indoors for long periods of time between Nov. 1 and April 1. I've seen all the -36 I ever need to see, and dug all the calves out of snowbanks that I ever need to.

If I had my choice, and could figure out a way to make a living there, I'd already be in Hawaii. But so would about 60,000,000 other Americans, so it's a good thing that hasn't happened.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
I was a little puzzled by the post, too. Maybe someone needs to get a little more sleep?

I like Arkansas (abbreviated AR, by the way) just fine, fine enough to still have a house and land there. I've been to CA many times, and I don't have any use for it, but that's why not everyone lives in the same place!

I've never been anywhere that didn't have its good and bad points. I grew up in CO, but I'd never move back there unless I could find a job where I could stay indoors for long periods of time between Nov. 1 and April 1. I've seen all the -36 I ever need to see, and dug all the calves out of snowbanks that I ever need to.

If I had my choice, and could figure out a way to make a living there, I'd already be in Hawaii. But so would about 60,000,000 other Americans, so it's a good thing that hasn't happened.
Colorado was the State I spent 26 years in. I loved it when I first moved there in 1978. It has become over crowded in the Denver area and the pollution is bad. I chose to leave and live in rural Nebraska with a menial job and no traffic jams.
post #25 of 26
As Ike was coming into Galveston, the massive low pressure from the hurricane crunched a lot of fronts way north of it. They converged in the midwest, and created 12 tornados in my area last night. I was sitting at my office at 5PM yesterday when they got on the PA and told everyone to get into the stairwell immediately from a tornado. An hour later I looked at a weather map and chanced the drive home. On that drive home they were announcing another tornado just north of where I live.

So needless to say, our satelite was out and while I wanted to track the storm, I only had local channels, which were talking about the 12 tornados and the flooding throughout the area.

Ike's rains will be hitting us early tomorrow morning. Our yard is already a wet sponge from the 5 inches we got yesterday. We're on a hill so we won't be flooded, but there are a lot of low laying areas in the path of Ike that will flood across the entire midwest.

Keep tracking the storm and send vibes to everyone affected: from Galveston thru its eventual demise in Canada.
post #26 of 26
mom just forwarded me an email from my louisiana relatives...
Quote:
Well, we made it through another one with no serious damages. It is still very breezy here, with gusts probably still around 35 mph. It was VERY windy and rainy all night and most of the morning. But all I can see around here is small tree branches and leaves and some siding off the garage. And the best part is (knock on wood), we haven't lost power!

I talked to Brian in Northwest Houston, and they are all ok also - no damage or flooding - but they are without power. They are predicting weeks before all of Houston gets power back on. Hope all is well with David and Mike.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Anyone staying up for Ike?