*****KatKwery! - Sep. 12*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like marianjelas means business as she solidified her lead by using some. BelongsToEvie scored with likes and laureen227 won again with knew. GoldyCat used the word wonder. Not used was move.

Today's KatKwiz called attention to political statements in siggies.

Had you noticed political statements in siggies before the stickies were posted? Do you think our members in IMO were more likely to have political statements in their siggy? Do you think our members should be allowed to have political statements in their siggies? Would a political statement in a siggy possibly change your opinion on something? Do you think statements about declawing in siggies are political statements?

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Looks like marianjelas means business as she solidified her lead by using some. BelongsToEvie scored with likes and laureen227 won again with knew. GoldyCat used the word wonder. Not used was move.

Had you noticed political statements in siggies before the stickies were posted? Do you think our members in IMO were more likely to have political statements in their siggy? Do you think our members should be allowed to have political statements in their siggies? Would a political statement in a siggy possibly change your opinion on something? Do you think statements about declawing in siggies are political statements?
I hadn't noticed any political statements before. I don't know if the members in IMO are more likely to have statements in their profile or not. Such statements would not change my opinions. I feel that since this is a catsite and not a political site, such statements are inappropriate and biased. Statements about declawing are not political statements and since this site is very against declawing, it is more than appropriate to be in the siggies here.

The reason I do not go to the IMO forum is because of the volatile topics they have there. I come to this forum to talk about my cats and to have fun, not to have someone's political views shoved down my throat by way of siggies.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally didnt notice any political statements in anyone's signature. I noticed the sticky right away though. But I'm not exactly TCS's top surfer or poster either. I havent been through a lot of threads lately so maybe I missed them. As for the IMO forum, I dont go into that section deliberately, so if that is where the majority of the political expressions were, I was less likely to see them. And seeing as though the members that do participate in the IMO forum tend to be more opinionated, I do think the chances of them flaunting their views is more expected.

I dont know if I really care if someone shows their support for a president or a particular party, be it democratic or republican, in their signatures, as long as it's tasteful. But I can totally see the moderators point of view though, where do you draw the line. So to avoid any confusion, might as well ban it altogether. They say never talk about politics, religion or sex, especially with strangers or people who have such a brood varied taste. I tend to always stay clear of these subjects unless with close relations. People tend to feel most strongly about those subjects and talk can get heated fast. I think that the debate over the presidential election is best contained to the IMO forum. I dont even open the threads that mention anything about them anymore. Dont want to even chance reading something that will make me angry or mad. I suppose that is the theory to keeping the opinions out of the signatures, since it can be seen in any forum. At least the stuff in the IMO forum is contained in that area, and users are warned ahead of time about strong subjects. I think it probably is best to limit the advertisements displayed in the siggies. Despite freedom of speech - sometimes it is best left unsaid
Especially considering political slogans and messages arent appropriate for some members that may only be viewing the "Crossing the Bridge" forum. Or lest we scare away new members posting in the New Members section.

In addition, keeping political messages (inappropriate or not) out of the signatures prevents (or at least reduces) possible flaming either publicly or in private PMs.

And NO, a political statement made in someone's post or signature would NOT influence my decision. It takes a lot more research and manipulation to affect my vote.
A lot of times people have their mind made up way before the election and decide on party denomination alone. I have a feeling this year's race will be based on more than affiliation, and hopefully citizens will look more into the issues than race, sex, eye color or political preference.

Who knows... that's about as far as I'm willing to go on the political front here on TheCatSite.

The definition of the term "political statement" is used to refer to any act or non verbal form of communication that is intended to influence a decision to be made for or by a group. Therefore, yes - statements about declawing are "political statements". However; I understand the TCS staff to refer to that meaning in more of an election-sense.

Tough topic today Lee.... I hope I rambled on enough
Thanks for the points again!!! You rock

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

i had noticed them - but then, i've also participated in some of the political threads in the IMO forum, where such statements were far more prevalent! many posters there post very little elsewhere... not sure why
personally, i wouldn't care either way about political statements - but i really don't give 2 flips for most people's opinions!
& such a statement certainly wouldn't alter my opinion or decision - mostly because i don't really care what other people think, for the most part. since TCS's official stance is anti-declaw, while such a statement could be thought to be somewhat political in nature, it's in accordance to site rules, so should be permitted anyway [at least, IMO!].

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am beginning to think that members use computers at work to surf The Cat Site! Or perhaps they party too much on Friday night.
Anyway, this will be open for a while but I was wondering if either of the above are true, perhaps I need to rethink the playoff dates not to include any weekends? Here are my two cents:

I never noticed them at all, I was just looking for new KatKwiz material when I ran across the multiple stickies. Yes, I think people that like to voice their opinion would naturally want to do so in their siggy. Well I am for free speech and all that and we do have an IMO forum and since I can possibly use the secret word without giving away my opinion, I will do so. A bumper sticker has never swayed me so I do not see how a siggy would make me want to rush right down and vote that way. I think any subject that people have varying opinions on and like to express said opinions could be considered political. The whole point here however is to try and use the secret word as I have no opinions on nothing!

BTW, DW has not given me the secret words yet so you have lots of time.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The whole point here however is to try and use the secret word as I have no opinions on nothing!
"no opinions on nothing"

MIKE, Oh Mike, where are you???

Yes I'm calling the grammar police.

Does this mean that you really have a lot of opinions on everything?!

Ahhhh, just kidding of course. But you know, I was thinking the same thing... where, oh where have all our KatKwery players gone? Good theory about working, weekends and web-surfing. Oh my!

And I totally agree with you and will move to Switzerland in the neutral zone with you. I dont feel strongly one way or the other. I wouldnt let a bumper sticker sway my vote or persuade me, and I wouldnt expect a comment in a signature to do so either. I can also see the other point of view also. They feel that this is supposed to be a relaxed atmosphere about CATS, a place to come and get away from other things, and they dont expect to come in here and get bombarded with political messages.

But like you pointed out Lee, a political message is anything that people have different views on... and of course we know from experience that this site is full of people with different views, from whether to have inside or outdoor cats, to whether to breed or neuter... Diversity makes the world go round!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

"no opinions on nothing"

MIKE, Oh Mike, where are you???
Had I been thinking, I would have said "ain't got no opinions on nothing".
The one that really gets me is "I could care less". Guess I ain't gotta explain that one.

Then it would be fun to talk about people that say ATM machines.
Even bank presidents say that. Guess I ain't gotta explain that one no way.

OK, let's get back to cats.