Tonks' spay incision is infected

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I called out sick today and brought Tonks to the vet first thing this AM. She has an abcess
and one of the stiches waw a little tight so the sweling caued it to pull her skin open a little. The vet had to remove her stiches and irragate the incsition, he said the abcess is pretty deep down (even showed me) he is hoping she doesn't need surgery for it. I have her on .5ml of clavamox 2x per day with warm compress with some blue solution 2-3x per day for five mins.

She seems fine, and active, its not bothrin hr at all, we have a e-coller on her and he put in a staple instead of stiches.... my poor baby!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, poor Tonks. I sure hope she gets better soon. I just went through an abscess issue with Bijou so understand.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's a bit worse then I expected it to be. Glad you got her in and have medicine for her now. With that and your TLC she'll get better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Wow, that's a bit worse then I expected it to be. Glad you got her in and have medicine for her now. With that and your TLC she'll get better soon.
Thanks it was a bit worse than I expcted too! So glad I took her in.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Thats what happened to lucy only she needed surgery to fix it.
I hope she will be ok.
We havn't ruled out the possibility of surgery yet, he said its really close the the body cavity

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucy was allergic to the stitches when it happened to her and she had pulled some out. Maybe the Antibiotics will help her and she will not need surgery.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Lucy was allergic to the stitches when it happened to her and she had pulled some out. Maybe the Antibiotics will help her and she will not need surgery.
Also a possiblity the vet mentioned which is why he replaced the stiches with a staple

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wantd to update on Tonks:

She seems to be doing fine, her incision is MUCH less red, however it is a little gunky, it looks lie a moist scab developing over it. She is acting 100% normally and has no feavor and is eating/driking/using the litter box all fine. She takes her Clavamox with no problem at all alll I have to do is walk over to her with the droper and put it near her mouth and she opens up no problem

The warm compresses do seem to help but she does NOT like it and its a 5 min fight both times we've done it so far, though I learned pretty quick that because she is so small its MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to do it with one person than try to have my fiance help me.

I'm so nervouse and worried about her, I think I'm going to bring her back to the vet on Monday just to be safe and because it looks like she's getting an eye infection now (its all runny
) I love my little girl and wnat to do whatever it takes to get her feeling better! This has been a very scary and stressful experiance for both of us, I just wanted to do the right thing by her and get her spayed so that she could live a long and healthy life

PS: If anyone wants to see pics of her incision as it looks, let me know and I will post them

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your kitkat will be just fine. Same thing happened to one of my dogs when I had her spayed. It was open and dripping---REALLY nasty. She recovered and 6 years later you'd never know anything was ever wrong.

However, I am VERY concerned at how willingly the kit takes her medicine. She is a FREAK (you lucky thing!)

You're doing great with her!

Cally

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

However, I am VERY concerned at how willingly the kit takes her medicine. She is a FREAK (you lucky thing!)
I know! I think she figured out 2 weeks ago when she was on meds for the lump on her neck that I'm bigger and I'm goign to win... so its less traumatic to cooporate

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before (aka yesterday):

After (aka today):

I just finished with her warm wet compress (medicated solution) so thats why all the fur around there is wet

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it looks any better, but antibiotics need time to work. Did the vet ever give her a steroid and antibiotic shot? This is what my girl had to get the swelling down and start fighting the infection - it had the redness and swelling down by that evening.