A Silly Question!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you prefer short or long nails? (fingernails, that is).

I prefer them short b/c it's easier to get things done and they don't get in the way - especially when I'm using the keyboard.
But I keep them fairly long b/c I have a nervous habit of picking at/playing with them, and if they're not long, I'll pick at the skin around my nails till they're sore and sometimes bleeding.
Most of the time I'll just use those fake glue-on kind, b/c if they break, all I have to do is glue them back on. Besides, they're prettier!

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like to keep them in-between long and short. The only problem with that is the fact that my bird, Tiki, likes to bite my nails (yes, he's a little green weirdo). I end up having to clip them shorter than I like them thanks to him.

I love to cook and shorter nails helps keep them cleaner and is more sanitary. Typing is easier too with shorter nails.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love long, manicured natural nails. I think artificial nails look, well, plastic. I love real nails. My nails are long and I try to take good care of them! The middle fingernail on my right hand always breaks though.
For some reason, it is weaker than the others.

Oh, and DH loves long fingernails, too. He is always making me scratch his back, his beard, his head... You know, stuff...

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... I'm not sure how to define the length I like them. Kind of... Medium, I guess. Enough that there's plenty of, um, white nail (does that have a name??), but short enough that I can type and function well!

Like zorana_dragonky, I like real nails! Can't stand the fake ones. I mean, they're fine on other people, they just feel weird on me. I think it's that glue.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I love the look of long nails, real ones, not artificial. However, I rarely get to grow mine because I'm a pianist/organist and long nails click on the keys.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the look of longer nails, but if I don't keep mine short they drive me nuts!

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very half and half. I have to keep my left hand short for my guitar playing and I try to grow my right hand long. I said try. They are so useful for picking off labels and ...well you know.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Short! When they start to grow and I forget to cut them they get bent back at work and I really hate that. It`s so cringe worthy.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Short! When they start to grow and I forget to cut them they get bent back at work and I really hate that. It`s so cringe worthy.
......eeeeeeekkkk!!!
It hurts just to think of it...I keep mine very short, just a habit after waiting tables for many years. The long ones with pics painted on can be very beautiful, but, IMO, only for the ladies.
I'm being sexist, but I can't stand long nails on men, esp. that "super-duper" long, pinky nail that some of the far eastern cultures use (like a Dr. Fu Manchu). I've waited on guys whose long, yellowed, curled, pinky nails made me want to hurl, just looking at them

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to add, I also don't like long, RED fingernails. They look just like a hawk's talons, when it's caught some poor little critter, and it lifts one leg up, to readjust things--those talons are long, shiny bright red

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep my nails medium long, it's handy for opening certain food packets and even the small flap that covers my petrol cap (can't open it with short nails!
)

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I prefer mine short. i get mine done every couple of weeks. I have acrylic on top but the length of the nail is mine, not artificial. i get the acrylic bc i cant keep my nails long otherwise. i bite them when they get long enough. plus i think they look nicer. i love the look of the longer nails, but i just wouldnt be able to function with nails that long. i have a cell phone with a keyboard, the Sidekick LX & wouldnt be able to type on that or a computer, or do anything else for that matter.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have medium length nails, except for my thumb, it just won't grow! I don't get them manicured although I wish I had the extra money to do that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

The middle fingernail on my right hand always breaks though.
For some reason, it is weaker than the others.
Hmmm.
Is it maybe due to road rage?

Like zorana_dragonky, I like real nails! Can't stand the fake ones. I mean, they're fine on other people, they just feel weird on me. I think it's that glue.
I didn't like the fake ones at first either - but you kinda get used to them after awhile.

I used to grow my real nails really long, but it's easier to use the fake ones b/c if one breaks, you can just glue it back on. If a real one breaks, ya gotta wait forever for it to grow back. And it looks weird if you have one or two broken ones, while the rest of them are long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm being sexist, but I can't stand long nails on men, esp. that "super-duper" long, pinky nail that some of the far eastern cultures use (like a Dr. Fu Manchu). I've waited on guys whose long, yellowed, curled, pinky nails made me want to hurl, just looking at them

When I used to work at Wal-Mart, there would be some guys that would come in with those long, yellow, dingy nails.
What made it worse was the fact that they had dirt caked underneath them..

I absolutely hated having to take money from them. It would just gag me!
As soon as they paid for their stuff and left, I'd shut down my register and go wash their filth off of my hands.

There were women who were just as disgusting, too.
Some of them would keep their money in their bras, and pay for their stuff after hauling the money out. Gag me with a spoon!!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I am a guitarist/pianist/saxophonist, I keep them very short. So short that more often than not, I end up cutting the skin underneath the nail. The shorter they are, the better I can play.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have mine trimmed fairly short because I have a problem with them being to soft and if I let them get to long they end up spliting which is very painful...

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine are medium long right now, and they're just about right. If I dont keep them polished and filed they break really easily or I bite them. When they're done up nicely though I dont fuss with them. I am hard on my nails though, I do my own manicures because I ding it up so often I cant afford to go in to the salon 3 times a week.

My fave color is Cha-Ching Cherry by OPI :p