This Is Getting Really Scary!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been up since the crack of dawn, watching the news and keeping up-to-date. Galveston is already going under water, and the actual storm surge hasn't even hit yet.
I'm afraid that there won't be anything left of it after this is all said & done. There are still people on the island trying to get out, but it looks as if it's too late now.
Those poor peeps..
There's also some ship that got stranded due to some technical mishap about 90 miles off the coast, and the Coast Guard can't get to them. So they're saying that they'll have to stay put, and hope for the best. OMG!

The storm is now about 200 miles away from shore. I sure hope it's not gonna be as bad as it looks. But it sure isn't looking good right now.
I'm getting really nervous.
It's not bad here just yet, but the wind is starting to pick up and it's getting gloomy. They're saying that we're on the "bad" side of the hurricane, where there's more of a risk of getting tornadoes.

To everyone in Ike's path, I hope you'll be all right!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is so scary to be at the mercy of Mother Nature like this.
Stay safe!

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Positve thoughts and prayers of hope to people in nasty ikes path

Stay as safe as you can x
Jess x

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been praying all week for the safety of the people in Texas coast with this hurricane! We know a few on the coastline (friends from our church) and our son and daughter-in-law are in Dallas.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm keeping everyone in the storms path or near it in my prayers Stay safe everyone

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everyone in the path of Ike takes the advice of the forcasters in the area and heads inland for higher ground. Nobody wants to see another "Kartina" type situation. And as for me I will be praying for anyone and any animals left in the area. Keep safe!

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sister lives in Friendswood, which is about 30 minutes away from Galveston Island and they were originally going to stay and wait it out. Her in-laws left wednesday night and they live in the Clear Lake area. Yesterday they started noticing that all of their neighbors were leaving so they decided to leave themselves, thank goodness. My parents live in College Station about 2 hours north of Houston so hopefully my sister and brother-in-law will be safer up there. I'm glad they left when they did. They left yesterday morning after lunch and it took them an hour and a half longer to get to my parents than normal (but not as long as RITA!) They were in traffic for 6 or 8 hours trying to get to my parents house for Rita a couple of years ago with people trying to leave that didn't really need to be on the roads anyway clogging it up. I still think College Station is going to get hit but hopefully it won't do too much damage. The last hurricane that hit there in College Station was Hurricane Carla quite a few years ago. My parents have a bunch of trees around their house so hopefully they will stay in the ground and not end up falling on the roof of the house. That's the main thing my dad was worried about when I talked to them last night.

For the last few days I've been worried that the storm was going to head more this way, when they had it hitting Corpus Christi (I live in Austin, which is north of Corpus). Now it looks like we are just going to be on the west side of Ike, unless it decides to turn west (hopefully not!).

I cannot believe that people are acting like sight seers down in galveston taking pictures of the waves coming in. I hope they make it out alive and stay safe.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating.

The 1900 hurricane (9/8/00) killed over 8,000 people, the worst weather-related disaster in U.S. history, and worse in fatalities than the San Francisco earthquake. It went up into the mainland and then back out through Nova Scotia, and still sank ships and did a lot of damage that far away.

During Alicia, we had damage as far up as Dallas, and that wasn't a really bad storm.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating.

The 1900 hurricane (9/8/00) killed over 8,000 people, the worst weather-related disaster in U.S. history, and worse in fatalities than the San Francisco earthquake. It went up into the mainland and then back out through Nova Scotia, and still sank ships and did a lot of damage that far away.

During Alicia, we had damage as far up as Dallas, and that wasn't a really bad storm.
Yes, and those who need to realize it most are the ones not paying attention!!

Sending mega prayers and vibes to those unable to leave (I read that they've shut the roads down) and especially to the animals who are at the mercy of nature and man
And more vibes to those poor people on the disabled ship, and to the valiant Coast Guard rescuers who have decided to attempt a rescue today, after all...or should I say, in spite of....
TCSers in the TX,LA area, PLEASE, PLEASE keep us posted on how you are doing!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I checked to make sure we had enough food in the house, water, etc. I'll fill the bathtub with water for washing and flushing this evening. The most we expect is power outages and local flooding, and I doubt even that will happen.

We have a spare bedroom, if anyone down that way wants to skedaddle up here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot believe that people are acting like sight seers down in galveston taking pictures of the waves coming in. I hope they make it out alive and stay safe.
They're still doing it. I just saw it on TV a few minutes ago!

It's too late for them to leave now.
Even the coast guard isn't willing to take a risk anymore.
My s/o just told me that anyone left on Boliver Island are being told to write their names & SS numbers on their arms for identification later on..

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I checked to make sure we had enough food in the house, water, etc. I'll fill the bathtub with water for washing and flushing this evening.
I just filled the tub in the spare bathroom, and also all the extra buckets I could find for washing up and flushing the toilet. We've got plenty of bottled water for drinking, and of course, non-perishable food items.

We have a spare bedroom, if anyone down that way wants to skedaddle up here!
I'm tempted to take you up on the offer, Mike, but I don't think I'd want to be on the roads right now.
Besides, our piece of junk car wouldn't make it that far!

But you're a sweetie for offering.
Maybe there's someone else who can benefit from your generousity.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I just filled the tub in the spare bathroom, and also all the extra buckets I could find for washing up and flushing the toilet. We've got plenty of bottled water for drinking, and of course, non-perishable food items.

I'm tempted to take you up on the offer, Mike, but I don't think I'd want to be on the roads right now.
Besides, our piece of junk car wouldn't make it that far!

But you're a sweetie for offering.
Maybe there's someone else who can benefit from your generousity.
I hope you guys and your furbabies make it through safely!

Do either of you have a generator? I was just thinking that we should buy one for when we have a big earthquake. And it is definitely when, not maybe.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, no generator.

We are under a "tropical storm wind" warning, and we'll probably get some rain, if it doesn't turn too much to the east.

If anyone down there wants to come up, my cell phone number is two one four eight five zero one eight six four. (Done that way to avoid the "phone number collecting bots).

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have a generator, either. But our next-door neighbor was kind enough to offer letting us hook up to his, so we'll at least be able to keep the fridge running, and to use a fan or two to try to keep somewhat cool. Bless his heart.

It's almost a certainty that we'll lose power, so I'm prepared for it. Hopefully, it won't be as hot as it was after Rita blew through!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't imagine how scary this must be for all of you who will be experiencing this hurricane. Please stay safe and know that we are thinking of you.

Post as soon as you can when it all calms down to let us know that you're all ok.

Plenty of vibes heading your way

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! I'm glad I didn't take that job offer in Port La Vaca, Texas, which is on the coast just SE of Victoria. That would have been the second hurricane I would have needed to evacuate from

I don't know how you all do it. I couldn't live in a place that had storms of that magnitude. Give me -40 degrees and tons of snow any day!!