Anyone know of natural shampoo?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for some shampoo and condition that is perfume/dye free, etc. I'm having some issues with everything breaking me out and I'm looking for something natural or hypo-allergenic.

Any recommendations?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically, there are no natural shampoos. They're all detergents that are pretty much the exact same thing you wash your dishes with...

There are soaps though, real soaps. You can get "shampoo" bars made from soap makers - look locally or look online. Or you could check out Dr. Bonners. Sharky uses it for herself and her pets, if I remember correctly.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Dr Bronner's baby mild soap for most washing. I like the Burt's Bees shampoo, specifically the baby version.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
www.lush.com - I only use Lush shampoos on my hair- they're amazing!!!

My favorites are Squeaky Green and Godiva. Solid shampoos are soo good too -they last about 3x longer than bottled shampoo for me, they're environmentally friendly, all made of fresh ingredients (so fresh it has an expiration date!), and best of all their company doesn't test on animals!
If your scalp is really sensitive you may want to try Squeaky Green - it does have a scent to it but it's very very mild. I have psorasis on my scalp so i'm really careful what I use- this product has done wonders for me- it's not irritating at all, but it has improved the condition of my scalp 10 fold!!

http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/c...=SolidShampoos

As far as conditioners go - The Lush ones, although they smell great most of the time, are just not nearly think enough for my hair type, so I use Organix Coconut milk conditioner. It's awesome
(I've also used their shampoos before too and like them as well, but i prefer lush shampoos, so normally I just buy their conditioner!)
http://www.organixhair.com/coconutmilk.asp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will check out the links. The problem isn't my scalp really, but I'm breaking out around my neck/shoulders, etc. where my hair lays against me. I don't know if its my shampoo and conditioner (have used the same brands for ages) but I'm trying everything I can think of!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Thanks! I will check out the links. The problem isn't my scalp really, but I'm breaking out around my neck/shoulders, etc. where my hair lays against me. I don't know if its my shampoo and conditioner (have used the same brands for ages) but I'm trying everything I can think of!
Is your hair oily? Sometimes the oils from our hairs can cause breakouts if it stays in contact with our skin a lot! (think along the lines of bangs and breakouts on your forehead.)

You may just need a good clarifying shampoo.
Squeaky Green is great at that if you're interested in Lush products.

Also- what are you washing your clothes in and do you use fabric softners? Those can also cause breakouts/ rashes. I switched to All Free & Clear and saw a ton of improvement when I did as far as my skin goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use fabric softener on anything, and clothes and towels are washed in "free & clear" detergent.

Hair is not really oily unless I don't wash for a couple of days
Scalp is a bit dry though.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Castile soap is made from just olive oil and can be used on hair

Bar shampoos have fewer preservatives!

Look for shampoos without sulfates, a common allergen...

Else, you can try conditioner only... conditioner does have cleansing properties, it's just much, much gentler.