Enclosing our deck for Delilah

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one indoor/outdoor kitty, Delilah. I have had no luck converting her to being indoor only. She really does not like the other cats, and when I do not let her outside she gets MEAN and attacks the other kitties constantly. She is also an expert door darter, highly skilled at fighting her way past anyone who dares to open the door to come inside.

But, for several reasons, I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable with her roaming outside. (There are the obvious dangers, and some other factors as well.) So I've decided to ask DH if he can enclose our deck into more of a screened-in porch. I'm thinking that way, if she snuck past someone in the doorway she'd still be stuck on the deck, and I could also let her out there in nice weather for some fresh air and time away from the other cats.

Using actual screen kind of makes me nervous though. It seems too easy for a cat to rip through, and she can be very determined when she wants to be. I'm thinking of maybe using something like lattice instead (although that wouldn't keep the bugs out).

I'm wondering if anyone has done something like this, and could offer me some tips? TIA!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hardware cloth. It's a wire mesh that comes in 1/2" and 1/4", then put screen on the outside so she can't scratch it up. The hardware cloth can get pricey, but it's the best and most "attractive" type of wire that you could use.

You could let your other kitties out on the deck, too, once it's finished. You also wouldn't have to worry about mosquitoes and other bugs bothering you when sitting on your deck.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can buy special screening just for animals. We changed the screens in our sliding door and our front door to this stuff and it's wonderful.

I think that's a wonderful idea for Delilah. Hope your hubby goes for it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

You can buy special screening just for animals. We changed the screens in our sliding door and our front door to this stuff and it's wonderful.
Is this what you're referring to? http://www.betterbee.com/images/galvancloth.jpg If so, that's hardware cloth. If you ask for that in a hardware store you'll get more help then saying something like animal screening.

...I'm trying to remember the last time I bought it, I think it was $1.39 a foot (widths are in 4' and 6').

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Is this what you're referring to? http://www.betterbee.com/images/galvancloth.jpg If so, that's hardware cloth. If you ask for that in a hardware store you'll get more help then saying something like animal screening.

...I'm trying to remember the last time I bought it, I think it was $1.39 a foot (widths are in 4' and 6').
I have no idea what it may be called where you are but when we bought it, it was referred to as screening specifically for folks with animals. We got it at Home Depot.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right about normal screening not keeping her in. Gus torn through our screen house in minutes. Good new is I repaired easily with thread. Now Gus can just stay inside

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I have no idea what it may be called where you are but when we bought it, it was referred to as screening specifically for folks with animals. We got it at Home Depot.
I bet it's the same thing with another label on it and marked up $5-10.
For some reason whenever something is marketed at animal owners, or specific types of animal owners (reptiles and birds for example), they love to mark up the price.
I've seen it to a smaller extent with cat related items - when it's a "dog bed" it will cost less, but if the same product (only with a cat related print fabric) says "cat bed" it will cost $5-15 more.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone, for the tip about hardware cloth. I have been thinking of getting an enclosure and was wondering what would be best to use. Is the hardware cloth strong enough to keep out anything that might try to get in? My enclosure will be next to a sunroom, easy access for all of the cats, and it is also under a upper porch, so a roof and one side is already taken care of. My cats will be pretty safe, but just in case of a neighborhood dog coming into my yard, I want to make sure the hardware cloth is strong enough.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Unless the neighborhood dog is packing a pair of wire cutters, it will keep the dog out. But you must also make sure the framing is very sturdy and hardware cloth is well attached.