Is It Just Me...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or would you consider this kinda morbid?

My s/o is watching some program about 9/11, where they're reliving the horrors of that day.
I can hear the sirens wailing and the people screaming from where I'm at in the computer room, and it's bringing back memories of that horrific day. It's making me feel sick to my stomach, and I feel like I did on that terrible day. I know he'd turn it off if I asked him to, but I don't feel as if I have the right to tell him what he can or cannot watch on TV.

Maybe it's just me, but I guess I don't see the point in reliving something that was so horrible. I can see the point of not "forgetting", but there are better ways to honor those from that horrid day. To me, it's kinda like going through an abusive relationship, and going back again & again - if that makes any sense. Why relive something that caused so much pain??

He'll watch a lot of Vietnam War stuff too - even though it upsets him and causes him extreme discomfort (he was in that war). I don't understand just why, when it obviously upsets him so.

Is it just me, or is anyone else bothered by reliving 9/11?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is, but it's a weird bit of the human psyche. Why do people like gory disgusting movies? (think Hostel - ick) or movies that leave them depressed?

In the case of events like that. I don't think they should be forgotten. But not replayed like that in gory detail over and over. I still remember the OKC Murruh building bombing - watching that on the news that morning (home sick from school). I'll never forget the woman in her taupe colored suit covered in blood and glass being carried out away from the neighboring building in her chair, or the fireman with the child... I don't need to see reenactments or dramas over it.

Do you have some headphones? You may just have to put some on if you do and listen to some nice music.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Why do people like gory disgusting movies? (think Hostel - ick) or movies that leave them depressed?
I myself like a good psychological horror, but I can do w/o all the blood & gore.

I'll never forget the woman in her taupe colored suit covered in blood and glass being carried out away from the neighboring building in her chair, or the fireman with the child...
I can't forget all those poor souls, who jumped out of the Twin Towers' windows b/c they'd rather die that way than to face burning alive.

I don't need to see reenactments or dramas over it.

Exactly.

Do you have some headphones? You may just have to put some on if you do and listen to some nice music.
No, I don't. But it's okay now, b/c thankfully he went to bed, so I changed the channel and turned the TV down.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually like watching the programs on 9/11. Yes it is horrific and I cry every time. But it is a good reminder of all the heroes of that day, the normal citizens that stepped up to save strangers. It is a reminder to remember all of the innocent victims that lost their lives and their loved ones that lost them. It also reminds us of 1) being attack-free for 7 years now and 2) that we, as a country, cannot get slack and allow terrorists to attack our country again.
It is so easy, as time passes, to forget just how bad it was. When that happens we can forget about how much we really need to do to keep our country safe.

Watching them is painful, but 9/11 is a reality, it actually happened and it is good to remember that day and what an impact it does and will have on our country. Also, for younger people, it gives us a chance to learn more about that tragedy and how and why it has impacted us and what we can to do remain free from attacks. I wasn't that young (senior in HS), but I was immature, sheltered and naive and it didn't have near an impact on my life and thinking as it does today. I just didn't understand it in the same way.
I do understand why you may not want to watch it, but it is a reality and I guess you can always change the channel if you want

What about shows on other wars? The Holocaust? Or even Titanic? (even the fictional move). These all replay and reenactment real tragedies of our past, but tons of people watch those! Do you watch those? (just curious).

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think for some people it is a form of therapy in a way. My dad was like that. He watched anything he could find about 9/11 (well, any disaster, really). But, 9/11 really shook him up. I think it was his way of trying to understand it, not that there IS any understanding it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about shows on other wars? The Holocaust? Or even Titanic? (even the fictional move). These all replay and reenactment real tragedies of our past, but tons of people watch those! Do you watch those? (just curious).
Yes, I've watched them, but not over & over again. It's just too heartbreaking.

If it's something that fictional, it doesn't bother me as badly. But if it's reality, I can't stomach it.

I agree that we should never forget, and should honor all those who have suffered. Those who have suffered deserve our respect. But why watch a tragedy over & over again? Isn't there a better way to honor them?

I guess I can see your point though. There are younger peeps who weren't old enough when it happened to remember, and need to be aware of it all. I suppose they couldn't fully realize the horror of that awful day unless they've seen it with their own eyes. To hear and to see are two different things, and can have a different impact...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, watching the coverage and some of the films made about 9/11 is about trying to put myself in the places of the people who went through the experience. I think it's good for the soul to try to understand others as best we can.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

For me, watching the coverage and some of the films made about 9/11 is about trying to put myself in the places of the people who went through the experience. I think it's good for the soul to try to understand others as best we can.
I often do that with people

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think it is morbid. People *love* drama.

I don't need to see the footage of what happened, over and over, in order to know what happened and to understand the importance of it. In fact, I think viewing those scenes over and over causes a loss of perspective.

That footage is important for historical reasons but it isn't necessary, or healthy, to keep bombarding us with it.