Has anyone ever hired an interior designer?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the remodel of the family room ceiling we will be replacing the carpeting, window blinds, sofa and perhaps the TV.

This room has several design challenges when it comes to furniture placement and I am thinking of hiring an interior designer. I would like to hire on that isn't associated with a specific furniture store though.

Has anyone used one before and what questions should I be asking.
I should find out fee's, qualifications for sure but what else?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really know what to tell you, I wouldn't pay someone to pick things out for me - but then I like to have control over things like that.

Before you decide to spend your money - Why not take some very good pictures of the room from various angles, and what parts are the most troublesome for you. List what you really can't stand to see in a room, including colors and pick TCS collective for good ideas.
It can't hurt, and we give our opinions for free.

Also, include the room measurements.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Why not take some very good pictures of the room from various angles, and what parts are the most troublesome for you. List what you really can't stand to see in a room, including colors and pick TCS collective for good ideas.
It can't hurt, and we give our opinions for free.

Also, include the room measurements.
Hey that's a good idea!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a large room 23 ft by 24 ft.

The doors/windows are placed -well I don't know if there was lots of thought in this.
For instance one wall has a double casement window, a door that we use to walk outside and another double casement window.

The next wall has the alcove for the washer/dryer and laundry sink. This however is too wide for standard size bifold doors so we have the vertical blinds which need replacing as they don't turn any more closed flat and some are now missing! Then the door for the powder room, the door for the basement and the stairwell to go upstairs to next level.

The next wall only has one smaller double casement window that looks out at ground level and yes its in the middle of the wall!!

The last wall well the wood stove is smack in the middle of that wall which is bricked and has a large bricked area that we keep a day or two of firewood in the winter. Its a dark color and I suggested to get it painted but the bricked floor area does get dirty over the winter with the wood and ashes. On either side of this stove we have custom shelves built in with one side being about a foot longer than the other. That side is where we had the TV cubby built. But with the flat screen TV's we are in a problem with the size to replace.

I have my treadmill in that room and am not willing to move anywhere else or it won't get used. We have one of those pit sofas-the three sections facing the TV area but then its hard to use the door that goes outside. I'm thinking smaller sofa for sure.

I have a sofa table I plan on painting to update it a bit.

I'll try to take pics and post but the room is a bit of a mess right now with stacks of trim boards and equipment!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pictures would help. But if you can take them, daytime will be best. Don't worry about the mess.

Basically, your room feels unbalanced - correct? Plenty of space, but too many doors and other things using up wall space. Brick adds to the unbalanced feel, probably effects any colors you may be able to use.

You obviously don't want to get rid of the stove either and an interior designer would probably say move or get rid of the treadmill.

Replace the blinds over the alcove, with custom doors if you have to.

I hate pit groups.
I never did find out why they were so popular for a while. Sure it's lots of seating but you're very limited in how you can arrange a room and it feels bulky.

I'm buying a house that has a brick wall and fireplace. The brick is the typical orange-ish brick and sealed with a gloss sealer... I hate it. So if anyone here has a good idea on how to cover that with something else that would still leave the fireplace usable, it would probably help both of us as far as decorating options go.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all those doors and windows, you pretty much have to group your seating in the middle of the floor, and often an attractive area rug sized just right to "hold" the furniture will help bring that together visually.

Is it possible to turn your washer and dryer to face each other inside that alcove? If so, you could bring the walls in a few feet on each side and use a much narrower door to enter the space. That would be less intrusive, and would also give you back some of your wall space.

I completely understand about the treadmill! You're right to keep it easily accessible!

EDIT: strange_wings, depending on how your fireplace is built, you might be able to construct a wooden fireplace surround and mantel that will just fit over (and/or around) the bricked areas. I saw Norm Abram do that once!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pit sofa is going thats for sure. And the vertical blinds too. Neil isn't happy with that look either.

Our brick is a much darker color. I still think we could paint it but leave the large brick platform where the stove is alone (just clean it really well). I use a paint store that sells Benjamin Moore and Pratt and Lambert so once again I'll stop in there for opinions.
The stove is our primary heat source!! I might replace the tiles on the top though as I had picked them out orginally to go with the room when it was wallpapered several years ago.

And the treadmill stays-its a very expensive and heavy big beast and I'm not going to confine it to the basement where for sure it won't get used and won't fit anywhere else!!

The carpeting has to be a better quality-we had berber and it really showed the traffic patterns in front of the sofa and from the doorways.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I have no clue. I'm pretty good with decorating and feel no need to hire a designer. I've seen some rooms that a designer has "done" and personally don't like their taste at all

Good luck.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My dad did his house with an interior decorator and his house is beautiful. Its been featured in a magazine when his designer was interviewed.

I think it depends on who you get. I have no experience with any interior designer other then my dads and I have to say his house is ridiculously beautiful. Like stupidly beautiful lol.